Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perhaps a silly question, perhaps not.  (Read 1169 times)

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perhaps a silly question, perhaps not.
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:20:40 am »

After having resisted going to Win10 for years, I was forced on to a Win10 machine after my old Win 7 PC died.  I migrated my old fortress and I realized something very odd:  no new births.  Well, the first problem was that strict pop cap was set too low, so after slapping my forehead, I edited the d_init file, and kept on waiting.  But, after a whole year, still no new births, and not even new pregnancies.  WTH?  The same fortress that was running on the old PC before it died (the fortress that was migrated being the last backup that I could find on a drive not connected to the old PC) was generating plenty of pregnancies as soon as strict pop cap was suitably adjusted.  This could be the save having gone corrupt, but I wonder if there is something about Win 10 that requires special attention to editing, say, d_init files (migration is working fine).  Has anyone had funky issues pop up with playing DF in Win 10?  Thanks in advance for suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:23:42 am by h27kim »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps a silly question, perhaps not.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:03:05 am »

Dwarves are failing to form deep relationships right now. So no new marriages for the most part. Already married couples will still have children, are your dorfs all married?

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:50:12 am »

Yup.  All dwarves in question are married, and have been producing children before (although I don't think any dwarf was born on the current computer.)  OTOH, livestock are being born normally.

h27kim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:47:13 pm »

Still very odd:  when the fortress was begun anew (in a new world), Dwarves got pregnant and gave births, so it's not this part of the mechanism that is awry.  When the original save game was copied over, existing pregnancies led to births, but no new pregnancies as far as I can see (and the strict population cap and child cap are set very high).  Corrupted savegame seems likely, but I still wonder copying the savegame over from win7 to Win10 did something...

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »

Copying the savegame over shouldn't have done anything. To have kids the married dwarves need to physically contact each other. To get new marriages, compatible dwarves need to spend time together while idling, as the "Socialize" job doesn't actually let dwarves build relationships as well. This means they need a long period of "No Job" while adjacent in order to procreate, which is why so-called honeymoon suites are rather popular right now. Hope that helps a bit!