Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: request - True kennel needed (reaction driven animal breeding)  (Read 728 times)

Protonicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could one create the true kennel buildings with alive subjects reactions?

reason
I have a lot of animal across the fortress and managing them quite annoying. especially saving m+f pair alive on siege, age death and fps rage butchery.

vision
I want smth like Noah's Ark building where you can put animals (which would gone away from units) and get some puppies/kid amimal by reaction
and not worry for invaders, age death (internal reproduction), butchery (for fps improving) and others sources for missing animals. Only thing that would kill this - that if building destroyed.

I see it so:
player need to collect 1-3 pairs of mature animals for creating animal specific kennel, which would provide new kid animal with long-time reaction.
I guess it would require dfhack for creating proper live subject.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: request - True kennel needed (reaction driven animal breeding)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:46:46 pm »

Loading them into a building this way isn't really doable, but a script to force a pregnancy between two creatures may be doable with the existing data sets so its best to probably look there.

As a non-expert i would most definitely say its not possible but there are still yet options for what you hope to achieve.

Protonicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:09:50 am »

I am not sure that possible to spawn live object with reaction, so

I thought it would be as in dwarf transform within scripting:
create kennel - place pasture over the kennel and place 2 male and 2 female animals over it.

run reaction: create specific kennel, it will remove these live animals and rename building to <animal name> kennel (to store between reloads)
Then you will able to run reactions:
  • Get animal kid (1 month)
  • Get male animal kid (2 month)
  • Get female animal kid (2 month)
maybe multiple - 1-4 kids also would be the option.

and in result it will spawn unit over it building

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:51:20 pm »

Might want to make workshop unusable until it spawns the puppers as well, lest you can leave it on repeat and get 1000 puppies from 2 bitches in 6 months.

Alternatively, you could perhaps also create custom workshop with impassable edges that can teleport creatures inside to the dwarf who does 'ask for one' job just outside, as long as this doesn't remove the youngest breeding pair...

(Hm, this makes me wonder how far would breeding pair on chains + surrounded by 10 statues go. Would overcrowding fights cause infection death pretty soon, or...)