Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134927 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2018, 05:37:28 pm »

Maybe using blunt weapons instead of edged weapons helps reducing the mess?
I didn't thought in focusing my military in warhammers, this should indeed "cut" on the insane amount of body parts flying around.
But aren't free use of warhammer increase the amount of tooths flying all over the map ?
As if so it should very likely balance out with the sword cutting limbs unfortunately when it comes to dwarves focusing all their time in hauling one tooth by one tooth and so not taking any to balance their needs with your fortress facilities.

I suggest you try spears. They leave less mess than swords/axes, but kill faster than hammers, so the chance of striking at teeth should be lower.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2018, 06:04:40 pm »

But I wish we had the ability to burn corpses in a pire or something like that to at least avoid miasma, and maybe making corpses something less recognizable as a sentient being and not so traumatizing to handle for the average dwarf.
Minecart dump into magma. You'll have to manually dump anything that won't fit in a minecart, e.g. FBs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2018, 06:07:10 am »

But I wish we had the ability to burn corpses in a pire or something like that to at least avoid miasma, and maybe making corpses something less recognizable as a sentient being and not so traumatizing to handle for the average dwarf.
Minecart dump into magma. You'll have to manually dump anything that won't fit in a minecart, e.g. FBs.

I had in mind something without that much setup. Unless you rush to the magma sea or have a volcano embark, magma should be avaible long before the fortress starts being sieged. Also, I don't see the advantages of minecart dumping over atom smashing.

I'm thinking right now in the possibility of just channeling a big pit where the battle was fought, designate it as a dumping zone and just dump there whatever is not already in the pit and then just build a floor over it. You can't collect the spoils this way, but if you have most corpses already lying together it should avoid most hauling which seems to be the biggest problem right now.

Edit: I tried it. Less helpful than I thought it would be since dwarves refuse to dump corpses which are not properly stockpiled, and if you do design a stockpile over the corpses and body parts that remain stacked outside the pit they will first un-stack them before dumping. So, I think this is only worthy if you desgin a pit wherever there are stacked bodies/parts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:09:31 am by Tinnucorch »

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2018, 10:28:59 am »

Don't have corpse stockpiles, then they dump. Eventually, after all other stockpile generated jobs are taken. Turning off all nonessential hauling for a bit I could get the last bunch of elves under the bridge almost quickly, next time I'll remember to turn off mechanics too so they don't wade through minced elf to reload the traps first, oops.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2018, 10:50:30 am »

Maybe lock military out of the fort, then inactivate them so that mechanics won't come and military's only job option is dumping?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2018, 11:21:49 am »

Nah, two clicks in therapist is way easier, we're down to 31 folks from ~70 mostly due to psych stuff, so everyone does these unskilled things. Simple overseer error (that probably sent another 2-3 over the edge).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2018, 11:38:20 pm »

I had in mind something without that much setup. Unless you rush to the magma sea or have a volcano embark, magma should be avaible long before the fortress starts being sieged. Also, I don't see the advantages of minecart dumping over atom smashing.

I'm thinking right now in the possibility of just channeling a big pit where the battle was fought, designate it as a dumping zone and just dump there whatever is not already in the pit and then just build a floor over it. You can't collect the spoils this way, but if you have most corpses already lying together it should avoid most hauling which seems to be the biggest problem right now.

Edit: I tried it. Less helpful than I thought it would be since dwarves refuse to dump corpses which are not properly stockpiled, and if you do design a stockpile over the corpses and body parts that remain stacked outside the pit they will first un-stack them before dumping. So, I think this is only worthy if you desgin a pit wherever there are stacked bodies/parts.
Magma's more dwarvenly, though. You could always drop them in a deep pit at first and then apply magma later. Benefit of minecart is that you can automatically sort out just the refuse.

Refusing to dump corpses could be an issue with your standing orders.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2018, 06:57:42 am »

Also, my fort is about 220 dwarves so probably just one clothesmaker isn't enough and with more of them it's possible that this kind of thoughts were much less prevalent.

One legendary tailor should be enough for 220 dwarves, unless he's extra lazy or has one hand missing.

I should put that in a facepalm thread - recently I discovered that instead of 2 tailors and 2 weavers I have 1 tailor and 3 weavers, all legendary (misclick in DT I suppose). And this is the 10th year of this fortress. I have 250 people, and the tailor still has time to perform other duties.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2018, 07:50:49 am »

Found a very handy trait for a fortress dwelling dwarf these days, "She personally believes it is important to conceal emotions and refrain from complaining". Conventional wisdom would tell us that internalising stress can only end badly, but in this case...

"I want to spend some time with family. I'm not lonely"

She doesn't feel anything after being away from family for too long. She doesn't feel anything after being away from friends for too long. She doesn't feel anything after being unable to fight for too long. She doesn't feel anything after being unable to practice a martial art for too long...

She freaks out every so often recalling a stupid human monster slayer drinking himself to death, but apart from that she's fine. Hopefully the horror of the human liver at work will fade away as it develops into a personality adjustment once it hits the long term memory.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2018, 06:09:49 pm »

Here's a new one;

I don't know how literally we should take this, but it's definitely interesting.  I have updated the OP with new findings.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2018, 08:21:07 pm »

Hm, I notice OP says "Unable to aquire something. <- oops, don't turn on the economy."

While I'm amused at the idea, in the middle of truthful statements probably should say "they need to obtain a craft; try having them haul some". You noted it later down, but I'm assuming newbies might read the thread.

Extravagant is the clothes one, iirc (easy to fulfil with military).

On a similar note, "Lack of decent meals. <- cooking seeds is something I need to stop." - should probably say "they need to eat their favourite food/booze, positioning matters"

Iirc reading either unable to fight need was filled by merely seeing a wild non-benign animal, but haven't tested myself.

Ditto with "Being away from friends. <- the downside of making friends, they still need time off." should have "dwarves need to see friends and family, even if they don't have any".

@"Unknown if merry making requires a tavern, or if a regular dining hall will suffice.": Regular meeting zones will fulfil most, but not all related needs; some will be only fulfilled by proper group activities. I don't recall off the top of my head which were which (no longer few months into DF, can start forgetting things now).

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2018, 03:58:44 am »

Extravagant is the clothes one, iirc (easy to fulfil with military)
What does the military comment mean? Something with uniforms or just aquisition of fresh goblin rags? This need seems to work just right with my playstyle, bit of a boost from the stuff they grab anyway without any jumping through micromanagement hoops.

The big thing I read these days is that dwarves stop dwelling on something once it changes their personality. Makes sense but I needed it spelled out.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:26 am »

Extravagant is the clothes one, iirc (easy to fulfil with military)
What does the military comment mean? Something with uniforms or just aquisition of fresh goblin rags? This need seems to work just right with my playstyle, bit of a boost from the stuff they grab anyway without any jumping through micromanagement hoops.

The big thing I read these days is that dwarves stop dwelling on something once it changes their personality. Makes sense but I needed it spelled out.
Needs more Science. Takes a year or so sometimes for the horror to manifest itself as a love of revelry, and from what I've observed, it seems to reduce stress, or at least stop the bad thoughts building more stress. But I don't have a huge amount of data there due to the time it takes (and because I play kind of recklessly).

For extravagance, I've witnessed dwarves with no labors enabled solving that for themselves so no micro needed there. Acquiring still seems to require hauling though.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2018, 04:43:26 am »

For extravagance, I've witnessed dwarves with no labors enabled solving that for themselves so no micro needed there. Acquiring still seems to require hauling though.
ALL my dwarves are bright green for best extravagace unless jailed, no matter how busy. I have no clue how the replace-clothing soldiers even manage that. Put something in their cabinet maybe?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2018, 10:33:45 am »

I have a hunch that military dwarves equipping armor/weapons counts towards the extravagant need, for some reason. My military dwarves also have this need met, but have no extra owned objects, which points to the fortress-provided armor satisfying the need. I think that the game might include any worn/equipped item for this need, regardless of whether or not it is actually owned by the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36