Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134892 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2018, 10:38:56 am »

You need to force childmaking - that is, being adjacent with No Job for a bit, generally speaking (Looking at it now, my Moonhome later-burrows did have active tavern zone covering nearly the entire small room - I'm not sure but I don't think I turned it off expect maybe on luring in - and I did get sporadic pregnancies (some years yes, some years no) with months-long stays inside). My first fort that kept over two years in 42.06 seemed to have far more luck as I didn't make my meeting zone a tavern; the happiness issues nowadays would prevent that however, and managed a human pregnancy earlier today by luring hard to control resident pair into same zone then deleting the zone.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »

Yes, arranged baby making works fine for me. I also get spontaneous babies in my fortress occasionally (3 couples, and a spontaneous baby every 3-4 years or so, I think). Of course, I've encouraged the couples to get to know each other and marry, or there wouldn't be any babies. I try to give the fortress a season off every year (but haven't been too successful, as gobbo invasions generate a huge pile of work), and I suspect that might help.
I think I've had 20 kids made in my fortress in less than 20 years (I've encouraged a new set every 2-3 years, but won't do any more of that [for dorfs: I've still to collect 3 human, elven, and goblin couples to get an sustainable local population of those] as I've more or less reached a suitable size).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2018, 02:16:50 pm »

In my fortress I have a reasonable number of pregnant females - even the queen consort is usually pregnant. The reason I've got no babies is the pop cap. However, I cannot say how many of the parents are new pairs, and how many of them are historical one, because I don't pay too much attention.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »

*cough* between migrants with pre-made links there's no issues in that department.

We can safely determine that dwarven reproduction doesnt require talking. *cough*

In tangental news, anybody got any ideas on how to meaningfully resolve 0010874: Having conversations does not train Conversationalist skill , ill find a bit of time to poke at it eventually myself but just to poke some people who mod the Raws who might have touched the conversationalist value.

I remember a while back in attempts to unstuck something like this, leveling up conversationalist skill traction simply made migrants arrive as legendary, but it'd be worth testing whether the skills are levelling up. If its proven that conversationalist skill is broken for attempting growth (which means imports of dwarves are restricted to their set or embark level speaking ability) then setting a baseline of speaking ability with hard-coded language skills can get around it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:13:33 pm by FantasticDorf »

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2018, 05:22:14 pm »

Ok so reading the replies regarding babies - is all of this stuff working as intended?

I certainly hope not.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2018, 05:25:34 pm »

Ok so reading the replies regarding babies - is all of this stuff working as intended?

I certainly hope not.
Stress is currently not working as intended, no. Relationship forming without extreme micromanagment being one of the things that needs fixing.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2018, 05:26:39 pm »

I certainly hope not.
Stress is currently not working as intended, no. Relationship forming without extreme micromanagment being one of the things that needs fixing.

Glad to hear it - I am kind of split over this version - 1) It's literally the most unenjoyable version of the game I've ever played. 2) I've gotten more done and learned more than any other version I've played in the past lol

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »

Just a thought.

The 2 babies my people DID produce were at the start of the game.
This is the part of the game where you're just using a dormitory.

Might experiment with some shared bedrooms....

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2018, 07:46:46 pm »

My fortress has dwarves pumping out children at reasonable rate (one every a year or two). Though I did do the 'matchmaking' to get the few largest meanest dwarves to br.. marry.

But after that I don't do anything special to them. But my fortress got around ten something days fort wide vacation every season which everyone spend their days very close together, training, praying, and getting drunk.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2018, 08:21:53 pm »

My fortress has dwarves pumping out children at reasonable rate (one every a year or two). Though I did do the 'matchmaking' to get the few largest meanest dwarves to br.. marry.

But after that I don't do anything special to them. But my fortress got around ten something days fort wide vacation every season which everyone spend their days very close together, training, praying, and getting drunk.

To do this, did you burrow them or give them no tasks, or both?

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:00 am »

Both, I have to micro manage the burrows because everyone is in militia and prefer to individually train during the down time despite more pressing need.

So I have to let them train for a few days to fill the martial arts need, then remove the barrack from the "R&R" burrow so that those dorfs get to their praying and drinking.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:03:47 am by RWARO_GNARL »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 04, 2018, 02:32:23 am »

In the past iv'e achieved good things with dormitories besides the fact they make dwarves go a bit flush in the face for **not having a real room**

So maybe the lover interaction for marriageless couplings and dormitories are key, if compatible dwarves end up sleeping in arrangements next to each other without talking per-say and find romance as per love at first fondle sight. Its relatively easy to get a  dwarf occupying every bed, and to arrange the beds in every such way so dwarves in the centre are flanked by up to 8 dwarves surrounding them at once also sleeping.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:34:57 am by FantasticDorf »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 04, 2018, 03:29:09 am »

Just a thought.

I've noticed female guards produced kids more often and more reliably than other dwarves.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2018, 04:00:16 am »

Just a thought.

I've noticed female guards produced kids more often and more reliably than other dwarves.

Hrm. I haven't noticed tbh... I tried 2 beds per bedroom, nothing special happened.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2018, 04:01:44 am »

Both, I have to micro manage the burrows because everyone is in militia and prefer to individually train during the down time despite more pressing need.

So I have to let them train for a few days to fill the martial arts need, then remove the barrack from the "R&R" burrow so that those dorfs get to their praying and drinking.

That's way too much work :(
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36