Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134522 times)

sly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #525 on: March 26, 2020, 03:32:47 pm »

so i've already modified raws to decrease stress, namely the STRESS_VULNERABILITY trait and natural skill in discipline. and generally i keep my pop count at about 70. yet I still found that corpses (from sieges) were consistently causing a slow but ever increasing blight of stress among my dwarves.

to combat corpse stress, I built a minecart track close to the surface that dumps corpses into a very deep pit. after each siege, I've burrowed all the happier and hardened dwarves at the surface (and around the track) and disabled every labor except refuse hauling.

though they dont always decide to haul (i dont know why), they usually get rid of most of the invader corpses. in the "emotions" dock in Dwarf Therapist, this ended up bringing down the "see dead body" thought count from over 4000 instances to just a few hundred. this seemed to have a positive effect on my dwarves' stress levels long term, but the haulers predictably were a bit traumatized. Still, many of my dwarves seemed completely unsaveable, with several reaching stress levels of 100k even with natural discipline 5 and much lower stress vulnerability. so i'm wondering if there are any other recent advancements in dealing with corpse stress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 26, 2020, 04:16:18 pm »

The reason your dorfs aren't hauling corpses when ordered to haul garbage is that corpses of sapients are hauled using the corpse hauling (burial) labor rather than the refuse hauling one, so beak dog corpses should be hauled off, but not gobbo ones. Also note that corpses of regular undead aren't considered corpses of sapients, even though they might have been sapients before being killed and raised.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 26, 2020, 04:20:11 pm »

Surest way to avoid corpse stress would be to burn them with magma before anyone can see them. Have the goblins go through a staircase that goes a long way down and back up again, then drop magma on their heads. IIRC, brief exposure to the falling magma causes the goblins and clothes to burn while leaving fire-safe items intact.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:22:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sly

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »

The reason your dorfs aren't hauling corpses when ordered to haul garbage is that corpses of sapients are hauled using the corpse hauling (burial) labor rather than the refuse hauling one, so beak dog corpses should be hauled off, but not gobbo ones. Also note that corpses of regular undead aren't considered corpses of sapients, even though they might have been sapients before being killed and raised.

i had burial on as well but they seemed to haul off goblin corpses fine without it. might be wrong but i recall "corpses" only means dwarf corpses. goblin & troll & beakddog corpses all show up in the refuse section, for, well, "corpses."

Surest way to avoid corpse stress would be to burn them with magma before anyone can see them. Have the goblins go through a staircase that goes a long way down and back up again, then drop magma on their heads. IIRC, brief exposure to the falling magma causes the goblins and clothes to burn while leaving fire-safe items intact.

i'll have to try this. i really dislike the process of moving magma up to my fort, though. so finicky. maybe i'll do a volcano embark next time. :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2020, 04:08:11 pm »

Your info is out of date, so it's not exactly "wrong". It used to be that only dorfs and pets were sent to the corpse stockpile, but that changed when visitors (and thus multi racial fortresses) were introduced. The refuse/corpse section is unchanged, and so lists all races (including dorfs). This allows you to send undead remains elsewhere, should you want to, but you don't need to do that as their scare factor is now on par with regular animals. However, the corpse stockpile hasn't been given any sub entries, so you can't send troll/troglo/ogre corpse for direct destruction, but have to sort your citizen that should be sent for burial from the "trash" in a commmon stockpile. I have to admit, though, that I might be wrong about the hauling labor, confusing it with the stockpile changes.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]