Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 133714 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2018, 03:04:51 am »

Even with the new updates all that seems to be happening is that the tantrum spiral is slowing down. Half the fort is still on the verge of insanity and many of the rest still react negatively to everyone around them.
Or the the corpses that they have somehow not hauled despite being given coffins and a corpse stockpile 10 years ago. That are still in the dining hall and bedrooms. That they still refuse to clean up. These dorfs would literally rather hunt trolls of their own accord than haul the goblin skeletons out of their beds and chairs.
Have you checked that the skeletons that aren't hauled aren't 'f'orbidden or 'd'umped with no dump zone active? Have you verified the stockpile is a 'y' corpse stockpile rather than an 'r' refuse/corpse sub stockpile? Also note that coffins are used for citizens, pets, and some random selection of visitors, but most visitors and all invaders are exempt from burial.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2018, 03:50:51 am »

Even with the new updates all that seems to be happening is that the tantrum spiral is slowing down. Half the fort is still on the verge of insanity and many of the rest still react negatively to everyone around them.
Or the the corpses that they have somehow not hauled despite being given coffins and a corpse stockpile 10 years ago. That are still in the dining hall and bedrooms. That they still refuse to clean up. These dorfs would literally rather hunt trolls of their own accord than haul the goblin skeletons out of their beds and chairs.
I found that the moment my militia commander who feels nothing at seeing bodies, was left alone with the corpse mound (everyone else being safely in an evacuation burrow) he began hauling them quickly out of sight. That corpse mound had been ignored for the past couple of months despite it taking up most of our front porch. I suspect you've got a lot of stressed haulers who are getting jobs to haul bodies away, then canceling due to horror (or extreme 'unease').

Or even worse a bunch of haulers who actually have an internal prioritization process in which they think corpses= No way in hell. Not sure if that's actually a thing though.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:52 am »

Corpse hauling is a thing I've been wondering about with these stress changes.  It seems to me the best thing to do is to disable corpse hauling for everyone except military dwarves.  If you let the general population do it, you get a bunch of "canceled haul: horrifed" messages.  I saw this even just from cleaning up after a small goblin siege.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2018, 04:13:09 am »

Corpse hauling is a thing I've been wondering about with these stress changes.  It seems to me the best thing to do is to disable corpse hauling for everyone except military dwarves.  If you let the general population do it, you get a bunch of "canceled haul: horrifed" messages.  I saw this even just from cleaning up after a small goblin siege.
They only get horrified if there's a bunch of your own dorf's body parts mixed in there. Dead strangers, even dead friendly visitors, only give unease in 44.12. More likely they're recalling the slaughter of their buddies.

But yeah, veteran military haulers seems to be the way to go (and any who don't like it probably shouldn't be in your military).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:17:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2018, 12:16:17 am »

Careful placement of corpse piles helps too. The dorf carrying the corpse can drop it anywhere along the way if a bad memory hits, and will forbid it when doing so, which if it's a dorf corpse going to the corpse pile before heading to a free coffin, may result in it being placed in a high traffic area for some time. Pump training builds willpower outside the military, so you may be able to make dedicated non-military corpse haulers with some fiddling.

Ideally a separate dorf corpse pile that drags corpses away from high traffic areas, perhaps with it's own dedicated stairwell, out of sight, and in line with all the coffins so they don't cross back. Note that dorf corpse piles may fill up with individual parts from dorfs who will never make it to a coffin for whatever reason, so do need to be quite large.

Dorf can also be quite upset by their own pet corpses, and will almost certainly be horrified by a spouse or child corpse, so there's probably room for dedicated corpse collectors, or just general willpower training in the fort. The latter for everything else that goes wrong, really.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2018, 12:32:27 am »

Careful placement of corpse piles helps too. The dorf carrying the corpse can drop it anywhere along the way if a bad memory hits, and will forbid it when doing so, which if it's a dorf corpse going to the corpse pile before heading to a free coffin, may result in it being placed in a high traffic area for some time. Pump training builds willpower outside the military, so you may be able to make dedicated non-military corpse haulers with some fiddling.

Ideally a separate dorf corpse pile that drags corpses away from high traffic areas, perhaps with it's own dedicated stairwell, out of sight, and in line with all the coffins so they don't cross back. Note that dorf corpse piles may fill up with individual parts from dorfs who will never make it to a coffin for whatever reason, so do need to be quite large.

Dorf can also be quite upset by their own pet corpses, and will almost certainly be horrified by a spouse or child corpse, so there's probably room for dedicated corpse collectors, or just general willpower training in the fort. The latter for everything else that goes wrong, really.
Very good point, I hadn't even considered the potential chaos of a random body part being left en route to the stockpile.  Assuming that the majority of Dwarf corpses will be in either the front lawn or cavern entrance, you could make a separate stockpile nearby, with the path unlocked only as needed.  From inside the stockpile, a tunnel can be dug directly to the graveyard, thus minimizing exposure for the rest of the populace.

DakkaDakka

• Bay Watcher
  • My dorfs are the shootiest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2018, 10:09:02 am »

If I could ask:

How severe are the negative thoughts of not fulfilling a need, and becoming distracted?
Is it worth putting all dwarves in squads with a month of combat training a year, to fulfill these needs?

I wanted to do a cute village in the wood and ended up with a dystopian dictatorship

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2018, 06:43:22 pm »

More than half of my fort is going crazy and depressed for no apparent reason. Based on their emotions description, they should be happy as shit. Instead they are all haggard and suicidal. The worst emotions they have are "lack of decent meals" or "being away from loved one". This is ridiculous.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2018, 06:52:38 pm »

More than half of my fort is going crazy and depressed for no apparent reason. Based on their emotions description, they should be happy as shit. Instead they are all haggard and suicidal. The worst emotions they have are "lack of decent meals" or "being away from loved one". This is ridiculous.
Interesting. How long has the fortress been going?
What are you doing to try to counter bad stress?

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2018, 07:24:25 pm »

The fortress is 5 years old. They've got lots of booze, temples, books, tavern, goblets & mugs, all that stuff. And still they are whining about stress. I think I will build a special chill out room for stressed dwarves. With grizzly bears.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2018, 07:37:15 pm »

The fortress is 5 years old. They've got lots of booze, temples, books, tavern, goblets & mugs, all that stuff. And still they are whining about stress. I think I will build a special chill out room for stressed dwarves. With grizzly bears.
Do they get enough time to spend at the temple? That usually produces the best thoughts possible. Maybe set up a temple for each God worshipped in the fortress?

Work breaks don't seem to happen properly right now, so for now you have to micromanage them somewhat to make sure they get enough free time.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:48 pm »

...The worst emotions they have are "lack of decent meals" or "being away from loved one"...
Are these the most common negative emotions, or the strongest ones? Usually the sum of the "lack of decent meals" and "away from loved ones" emotions is less than the effect of one "horrified from seeing a dead goblin" emotion.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »

About body parts and their impact on putting more stress to the dwarves.
There's this very annoying bug that has been around for a while that make it so sometime items (or even individuals) being thrown/dodging/falling can sometime go through a wall or a floor and land where they should not.

This bug can make it difficult to isolate your fortress from piles of dead gobs and trolls when sometime a head, a hand a leg or whatever gob part go through a floor and land into a corridor/room in the level below the surface where your burrowed dwarves will all see it and be become hopelessly horrified until they get over it or become depressed.

So make sure your underground levels are far (or deeper) enough from your surface battles , as it's one thing when it's arrows and bolts being affected by the bug and landing magically (well buggily) through a level of ground into your dwarven nice underground burrows during a battle, but when it's body part it's much more annoying for your attempt to keep a fortress not becoming a depressed dwarven asylum.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2018, 03:48:52 pm »

I'm super impressed how hardy merchants have become. Some troublemaker chose to go berserk right at the depot where the merchants waited, the military was at hand to put him down, messily, and the elves didn't bat an eye. Wish my dwarves were as unimpressed.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2018, 07:12:19 am »

...The worst emotions they have are "lack of decent meals" or "being away from loved one"...
Are these the most common negative emotions, or the strongest ones? Usually the sum of the "lack of decent meals" and "away from loved ones" emotions is less than the effect of one "horrified from seeing a dead goblin" emotion.

How can you tell this? Is there some way to see the numeric values for each currently active emotion?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36