Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134291 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:41 am »

I play this game off and on, usually with long breaks so I come back and a few things have actually changed in it.

At the moment I feel like creating a water source at the top of the stairwell and watching them all drown.

Cannot keep the stress under control for whatever reason, it used to be socks. Socks were the big thing, we all know, we've all been there.

Now.... now what? I'm a fucking psychologist?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2018, 02:41:16 am »

I play this game off and on, usually with long breaks so I come back and a few things have actually changed in it.

At the moment I feel like creating a water source at the top of the stairwell and watching them all drown.

Cannot keep the stress under control for whatever reason, it used to be socks. Socks were the big thing, we all know, we've all been there.

Now it's not working properly. That's why we have this thread. To pinpoint exactly what's not working and why.

There are workarounds mentioned in the thread, but if it's currently unplayable for you, don't play. Wait until this release arc is finished when the game should (hopefully, maybe....) be in a more fun state (at least when it comes to stress, anyway).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:48 am »

On topic of helping meet needs, I have a few tips:

- The crafting need can be met by making a craft workshop for any dwarf that doesn't have a main job that is a craft.  You then assign the workshop to only that dwarf and add a manager job for a craft that repeats once a month (or probably once a season is enough).  After that you never need to think about it.  Like a lot of DF, it's a PITA to set up.  Yes, it means you need 10s of workshops that are idle most of the time.  I kind of find it funny that world gen fortresses have ten times more workshops than you would ever need... coincidence?  Of course, but it's funny ;-)

- I'm pretty sure you can satisfy the "helping someone" need by caging or restraining a grazer and assigning the dwarfs who need the boost with "Animal Care".  They will feed the grazers with either a plant or a prepared meal and receive the positive thought as well as satisfy the need (or at least that's what I remember the last time I tried it -- haven't done it yet in my current game).

- The food preference is a lot easier to take care of than I realised before.  The key is to make prepared meals.  This allows you to extend your ingredients with fillers.  Make a stockpile with at least 2 tiles that can hold drinks next to your kitchen (because 1 will get filled with an empty barrel -- stupid thing).  Put your other ingredients further away (mine are about 4 tiles away).  Make biscuits (easy meal).  They only take 2 ingredients.  Give to the booze stockpile near the kitchen from the main booze stockpile.

What will happen is that your dwarf will pick some random solid ingredient when starting the job and then when they are choosing the next ingredient, they will be standing next to the booze.  They will always select the booze in this case.  If you have good growers (and especially if you are using fertiliser), you can make really large stacks of plants, which will make ridiculous stacks of booze.  This will make similarly ridiculous stacks of biscuits -- one ingredient of which is guaranteed to be favoured by some of your dwarfs because it is a booze they like.  There are a *lot* less boozes than there are ingredients so more chance to satisfy dwarfs.  The solid ingredient also ends up getting multiplied, effectively.  So if you have 5 giant tiger meat and 40 plum wine, then you end up with 45 giant tiger meat biscuits with minced plum wine.  Your dwarfs who like giant tiger meat *or* plum wine will search out these biscuits if they are in the required radius (and I've tested this myself as well).

I've noticed that most of my dwarfs either have a liked food that I can get or a liked booze that I can produce.  Since I can easily make stacks of 40-50 (or even higher) for each, it means that there is a good chance for each dwarf to find a food that they like within the month or so when they eat.  Thinking about it now, it might be worth buying lots of small stacks of rare food that you can't produce yourself.  This will allow you to get the maximum extension later.

There are probably better configurations for food production than I've outlined, but I've tested that configuration and it works really, really well.  PatrikLundell's script for buying liked food would probably complement this extremely well.  I was thinking that lavish meals might work out better (more variety), but I think that practically guaranteeing each solid ingredient is used with a large booze stack is better.  Getting the dwarfs to randomise the drink production is a bit more challenging, though ;-)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2018, 04:11:08 am »

You then assign the workshop to only that dwarf and add a manager job for a craft that repeats once a month (or probably once a season is enough). 

If you want your actual useful crafting done by someone competent rather than a random dwarf remember to make your main workshops limited to higher skill dwarfs.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2018, 04:39:43 am »

I got a save where a dwarf occasionally gets horrified and stops working because of seeing a goblin corpse I atomized two years ago. They're not reliving it either, it's a new memory every time. There are no loose teeth lying around either, when a dwarf approaches the refuse stockpile square where the goblin used to be, it has a chance to flip out.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2018, 05:26:42 am »

I got a save where a dwarf occasionally gets horrified and stops working because of seeing a goblin corpse I atomized two years ago. They're not reliving it either, it's a new memory every time. There are no loose teeth lying around either, when a dwarf approaches the refuse stockpile square where the goblin used to be, it has a chance to flip out.
Do you have a save? That's an outright stress bug rather than any balance issue. Should be looked at asap.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2018, 06:24:13 am »

Do you have a save? That's an outright stress bug rather than any balance issue. Should be looked at asap.

https://ufile.io/4agt1

Here you go. There might be a loose finger I'm not aware of, but it might also be an undocumented bug.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2018, 06:41:56 am »

Note about extravagance and injured (military): Hospital treatement may also triggers it, however it is dependent on base quality:

||

||

||

(Note that the +<-splint->+ is Well-crafted (only -item- they have on). )

E: Possibly nvm on decoration, they were given a single silk cloth dressing on lower arm, that they no longer have on, and there is -silk cloth- in their tile.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:47:54 am by Fleeting Frames »

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:31 am »

The 15 minutes cleaning up after a battle where a couple of dwarfs died (previous to this stress was uniform below 1000 for all dwarfs).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I only have dwarves with low stress vulnerability enabled for burial duty but it doesn't help a huge amount it seems.

/edit Actually it looks like the main contributing factor here was a flock of vultures who were causing interrupted/"felt vengeful after joining conflict (-25)" over and over as the dwarves milled around (each person with high stress that I checked had multiple instances of it). Even once the area was clear of body parts the stress kept skyrocketing until I burrowed everyone indoors. Once the vultures left I let them back outside and stress leveled off and is just starting to fall again. This might be a major contributor. Don't let dwarves be interrupted!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:09:38 am by billw »

garlicfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2018, 11:20:03 am »

This might be a major contributor. Don't let dwarves be interrupted!

I hadn't put that together before, but I think this may have been a major contributor to stress in my fortress. I have a lumber-driven steel industry. The last spike in stress levels where I saw a lot of new red arrows pop up, half the fortress had run out to refill the wood stockpile behind the woodcutters, and I got a whole bunch of job cancellation spam from dwarves being interrupted by redwing blackbird men.

I don't have the numbers and spiffy chart to back it up, but anecdotally I would corroborate that.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2018, 11:27:58 am »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there seems to be a stress bug when placing a poet or speaker as a performer for a temple.  I have dwarves reporting they were embarrassed after witnessing a performance. Now the performer has a skill level of 11 for both poet and speaker so there's no reason dwarves witnessing the performance should be receiving a negative thought.  And yes the performer has all its clothes.  I see no choice except for removing the performer.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2018, 11:49:04 am »

Now the performer has a skill level of 11 for both poet and speaker so there's no reason dwarves witnessing the performance should be receiving a negative thought.

Some people/dwarves are philistines? Did you check into the dwarves preferences/beliefs? I haven't had an issue with performers that I have noticed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2018, 12:22:42 pm »

Now it's not working properly. That's why we have this thread. To pinpoint exactly what's not working and why.

There are workarounds mentioned in the thread, but if it's currently unplayable for you, don't play. Wait until this release arc is finished when the game should (hopefully, maybe....) be in a more fun state (at least when it comes to stress, anyway).
If you want to completely ignore stress, just have DFHack run remove-stress (I think that's the right name but maybe no hyphen) every season or so. It can be automated, or you can just manually type it in. This lets you have a version without tantrum spirals without giving up missions etc.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2018, 01:45:52 pm »

The 15 minutes cleaning up after a battle where a couple of dwarfs died (previous to this stress was uniform below 1000 for all dwarfs).

I had no idea it could rise exponentially. Having it rise linearly up to a foregone, unavoidable conclusion is bad enough.

Also this is how a tailor's brain looked like after an outpost liason hammered a wild parrot in the surface and a chained owl in the tavern. The non existent goblin body is referenced amongst the dead parrot tears.
Never mind why there was an owl in the tavern.

Dfhack it is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:16:02 pm by Adequate Swimmer »

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2018, 03:12:32 pm »

I caught another vulture interruption incident confirming what I thought, got screen shot of the thoughts (the dwarves, not mine) this time. The dwarves with the 3 extreme increases on the graph have one thing I noticed in common: >90 Hate Propensity. I guess it makes sense, they really hating on the vultures...

The time interval is one minute real time here and I am running 75 fps or so, so this is a fast spike.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:04:57 am by billw »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36