Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134888 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #330 on: September 16, 2018, 05:09:20 pm »

Oh, don't know if this has been noticed before. Militia commander is horrified seeing a snatcher die (as he buries his axe in its head...). They probably should have been stress nerfed along with other invaders.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2018, 05:57:24 pm »

I went back to 44.09... I like the possibility that they can tantrum which I was losing out on by using DFHACK to keep it under control.

Maybe next version. ;)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

I've recently found out a ghost and a body belonging to the same creature can cause 2 different, independent triggers, so a single murder can cause a dwarf to get traumatized twice.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2018, 09:15:03 pm »

I've recently found out a ghost and a body belonging to the same creature can cause 2 different, independent triggers, so a single murder can cause a dwarf to get traumatized twice.

Having read a fair amount of Shakespear, that seems about right :-)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:12 am »

Oh, don't know if this has been noticed before. Militia commander is horrified seeing a snatcher die (as he buries his axe in its head...). They probably should have been stress nerfed along with other invaders.
Essentially happened to me in my now previous fort (save corruption). My carpenter was OK for 18 years or so before the militia squad was sent into first first battle (to eliminate camping invaders from an entrance tunnel, when everyone else had retreated), which satisfied the need to fight, but resulted in a spiral into complete despair (100000 stress) over a couple of years. Didn't die due to having mooded, but the family need was impossible to satisfy, and the bugger wouldn't take masterworks FB bone rings when hauling them, got anxious from researching human behavior (or something similar), got mixed feelings from picking up new clothes, etc. 5 years later I finally managed to arrange for the bugger to haul a phyllite masterworks ring between two stockpiles in his room (favored material), at which time things turned around, and after a year or so the stress was down to 80000 (still regularly stumbling around obliviously, of course). Pity I wasn't able to see if a full recovery would happen.

Also the thought combination of (the quotes are not exact):
"I feel so good!

He is utterly harrowed by the tragic farce that is his life" is somewhat contradictory...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2018, 03:53:22 am »

Essentially happened to me in my now previous fort (save corruption). My carpenter was OK for 18 years or so before the militia squad was sent into first first battle (to eliminate camping invaders from an entrance tunnel, when everyone else had retreated), which satisfied the need to fight, but resulted in a spiral into complete despair (100000 stress) over a couple of years. Didn't die due to having mooded, but the family need was impossible to satisfy, and the bugger wouldn't take masterworks FB bone rings when hauling them, got anxious from researching human behavior (or something similar), got mixed feelings from picking up new clothes, etc. 5 years later I finally managed to arrange for the bugger to haul a phyllite masterworks ring between two stockpiles in his room (favored material), at which time things turned around, and after a year or so the stress was down to 80000 (still regularly stumbling around obliviously, of course). Pity I wasn't able to see if a full recovery would happen.

Also the thought combination of (the quotes are not exact):
"I feel so good!

He is utterly harrowed by the tragic farce that is his life" is somewhat contradictory...
Yeah, the thoughts had me fooled into thinking everything was Ok.
Death, I am not disturbed by this.
How easily we are broken, this is not upsetting.
Is horrified to see the snatcher die...

--edit
Wasn't that fortress pre-44.12 though? Horror at seeing enemies die was nerfed (except for snatchers, apparently).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:59:01 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2018, 08:00:11 am »

The fortress was created in early 0.44.X, left in hibernation with 0.44.05 due to a nemesis loading crash, and resumed with 0.44.12, so it has never seen the 0.44.10 issues. The save was found to be corrupted yesterday (ironically, army commander loading just ate all the memory in what probably was a circular dependency issue, and my squad raiding didn't even work with that fortress due to the dead civ bug). The save has seen more play with 0.44.12 than the earlier versions, though.

As far as I understand the effect of seeing dead enemies was reduced in general, but apparently a single session (probably 5 gobbos in my case) can still be enough to break the sensitive ones. I've had at least one dorf I took off corpse hauling duty due to stress, and the bugger decided to follow the expedition leader (or mayor) into the execution chamber to meet for a crying session as he was hauling corpses. I didn't see any direct effect of that, though, and that dorf has recovered.
My defunct fortress also had a baby that was a bit stressed at witnessing death when its mother participated in eliminating another camper band (they all chose the same location in the same entrance tunnel, for some reason) in the second latest siege recently, but now I won't see how that would affect it in the longer term.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2018, 08:18:19 am »

Besides the militia commander getting stressed with his job of snatcher prevention (don't know how terminal it would have been, he succumbed to death-by-werelizard) I seem to be doing ok with stress in my current fortress. Aforementioned werelizard left a corridor of miasma pumping bodies in its wake, but it's been a couple of years since then and the 125 pop fortress still has only 2 dorfs suffering long-term stress. They're both on low-stress routines and have so far avoided slipping further. One of these is the wife of a werelizard victim, she's doing OK and even declared that 'today is a day to fall in love all over again' recently. Sadly had to inform her that the next version isn't due for while yet...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 19, 2018, 04:50:30 pm »

Ok, busy busy.  I have added a disclaimer to the OP, and a few more talking points under General Information.  I'm out of the country this week, but I am still following this with great interest (though I haven't had time lately to actually play much):

*Please note* I am attempting to keep this list as comprehensive as possible.  However, for the sake of not quoting an entire thread, I am limiting this to categories of information and extremely specific findings.  This list will not include every single detail, and it's quite possible that I missed something important.  If you feel there is some information which should be added here, please let me know.

More personality change causes & effects;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- If an injured Dwarf is given a high-quality treatment item like a splint, this might count towards 'acquisition' and 'extravagance' needs.
- Some data mining on overall stress increases;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Possible that if a Dwarf does not have any hauling labors, they will never voluntarily equip trinkets (they do still seek out new clothes though)
- Stress accumulation may actually be occurring at a normal rate.  The problem is that stress-reducing activities are significantly less effective
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:34:30 am by Immortal-D »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:31 pm »

Quote from: Immortal-D
More personality change causes & effects;

TIL drinking water from a river turns a person upside down.

Also, in the data links, the first and the third lead to the same message.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:29:15 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

IKraft

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2018, 03:58:31 am »

I don't know a lot about this subject but in my opinion a Siege should be more dangerous to your dwarfes well being than the aftermath of cleaning up corpses, not being able to practice a craft for too long or drinking without a well for some months.

In the 2 forts I did in .44.12 I lost more people due to depression and insanity than through Fallen Beasts, Goblin Sieges and my poor magma handling skills even though I have mist generators, MW engraved temple/tavern/library and 2x3 living quarters engraved with all a dwarf could want but not microing the needs of every individual dwarf.

I don't know the cause but I think the priority of causes is not right when it comes to dwarfs going insane/depressive. I would understand it if it's a childs death or their squad mate getting maced but being rained on?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2018, 05:05:10 am »

I don't know a lot about this subject but in my opinion a Siege should be more dangerous to your dwarfes well being than the aftermath of cleaning up corpses, not being able to practice a craft for too long or drinking without a well for some months.

In the 2 forts I did in .44.12 I lost more people due to depression and insanity than through Fallen Beasts, Goblin Sieges and my poor magma handling skills even though I have mist generators, MW engraved temple/tavern/library and 2x3 living quarters engraved with all a dwarf could want but not microing the needs of every individual dwarf.

I don't know the cause but I think the priority of causes is not right when it comes to dwarfs going insane/depressive. I would understand it if it's a childs death or their squad mate getting maced but being rained on?
I think you need to take another, serious look at what's happening to your dwarves. You're saying that you're losing fortresses to mass insanity and depression solely because of rain? Really?

I'm not microing anybody, have dorfs running about hunting, accidental werebeast/miasma incidents, and here several years in two dwarves (out of 131 citizens and 33 visitors) are suffering long-term stress and they've been like this from year one and not getting any worse. I'll exile them if they ever get haggard.

Now, I'm not doubting that a big siege cleanup will mess up a lot of my dorfs terminally, that needs fixing, but regular gameplay just isn't resulting in the mass depression spirals some are mentioning here. Maybe need to wait another 15 years to see the downfall kick in? Pfft, I'll be bored of fps death way before then.

IKraft

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2018, 06:32:18 am »

I think you need to take another, serious look at what's happening to your dwarves. You're saying that you're losing fortresses to mass insanity and depression solely because of rain? Really?
No my forts are alive and well, I'm saying it's just more dangerous.
I don't worry about Trolls and Hordes of Goblins I worry about having to remove all those stinking corpses afterwards or how long my dwarfs can keep on functioning without a well.. or rain for that matter which is obviously exaggeration (compared to real insanity reasons like loss of a child/etc) but those effects add up.
That in my opinion is not balanced properly, the danger (and dwarfen casulties) should come from the environment trying to kill you, not your dwarfs losing their mind because they killed Goblins in self defense and have to chug the remains off a cliff.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:36:14 am by IKraft »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2018, 03:35:32 am »

I have to admit that the rain thing is getting on my nerves ;-)  My fort is in the swamp.  It rains about 90% of the time.  I am slowly getting roofs over everything, but the rain has really stressed out my dwarfs.  One bit is completely down to me.  I forgot to disallow harvesting for non-farmers, so I had dwarfs already stressed out from the rain wander outside to harvest plants.

The thing that's bugging me a bit is that *every* migrant is traumatised by the rain they experience when the migrate.  Every single one has their personality changed because of the rain.  Because they have no other memories at that point, every single one of them mull over getting rained on.  The atheist dwarfs and the dwarfs that have meal preferences that I can't provide for at the moment have it harder because they have less things to fall back on.

I actually like the idea that rain stresses out dwarfs.  It provides a reason for getting indoors.  However, I think it's just a bit too strong right now -- especially if you are in a rainy biome.  I suppose it's something I could check before I embark, but I don't think there is a straightforward way to do so in vanilla -- just looking at the details precipitation map, I think.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:50 am »

Vegetation is exactly equal to rainfall, so there's that. But yeah, it does rely on outside-game-knowledge a bit; someone who has no idea which is wetter between rocky wasteland and swamp (to use an extreme) likely wouldn't suspect vegetation either.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36