Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 134366 times)

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2019, 07:27:49 pm »

Eck, I really don't like any of these options. Constantly cycling out my dwarves is something that kinda ruins the game for me, because I lose that feeling of persistent growth and life. And avoiding any sieges or conflict sounds boring as hell.

Some guy on the subreddit said that if you expand the shit out of your justice system and jail every dwarf who commits a crime in a masterwork prison, you can totally prevent a tantrum spiral. I'm skeptical of this, has anybody tried it? If not I might give it a try and report back.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 24, 2019, 08:49:18 pm »

Eck, I really don't like any of these options. Constantly cycling out my dwarves is something that kinda ruins the game for me, because I lose that feeling of persistent growth and life. And avoiding any sieges or conflict sounds boring as hell.

Some guy on the subreddit said that if you expand the shit out of your justice system and jail every dwarf who commits a crime in a masterwork prison, you can totally prevent a tantrum spiral. I'm skeptical of this, has anybody tried it? If not I might give it a try and report back.
The only information on justice is from my own findings (middle of 'General Information' in the op).  I was using a modest prison with artworks & furniture, but all average quality, and not paying attention to favorite materials.  Taking the time to micromanage a prison would be good info to have.  That said, even if sufficient quality and favorite items can help the criminals, it won't necessarily prevent tantrums, since some unhappy Dwarves never commit a crime, they just become crazy.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 25, 2019, 02:36:32 am »

It's rather doubtful prison management would be a major help to stress management, as the reason for dorfs tantruming typically aren't the lack of nice surroundings (if it is, you'd be better off giving them decent rooms of their own, rather than prison cells, to prevent them from breaking in the first place).

Rambling list:
Dorfs don't like being rained on, see dead sapients (citizens in particular, as a comparatively recent improvement), not being able to eat or drink favored food, not meeting friends or family (and typically having neither, with basically no capability to acquire them without player intervention, apart from the starting 7 or migrating as a family), as well as things preventable through player management such as acquisition of new clothes and trinkets (although some stubborn buggers may refuse to claim trinkets unless they're of a favored material), praying, reading, crafting, martial arts training, and fighting (which can result in an immediate breakdown when the fighting results in a dead gobbo in unlucky cases). Nothing new in this list, and I've probably missed a number of things.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 25, 2019, 03:57:12 am »

It's rather doubtful prison management would be a major help to stress management, as the reason for dorfs tantruming typically aren't the lack of nice surroundings (if it is, you'd be better off giving them decent rooms of their own, rather than prison cells, to prevent them from breaking in the first place).

Rambling list:
Dorfs don't like being rained on, see dead sapients (citizens in particular, as a comparatively recent improvement), not being able to eat or drink favored food, not meeting friends or family (and typically having neither, with basically no capability to acquire them without player intervention, apart from the starting 7 or migrating as a family), as well as things preventable through player management such as acquisition of new clothes and trinkets (although some stubborn buggers may refuse to claim trinkets unless they're of a favored material), praying, reading, crafting, martial arts training, and fighting (which can result in an immediate breakdown when the fighting results in a dead gobbo in unlucky cases). Nothing new in this list, and I've probably missed a number of things.
Sounds about right. Fixing the stacking stress items (bodies, probably rain and to a lesser extent vengeful feelings towards keas) combined with an overhaul to the dorven approach to relationship building might be enough by itself to make the game a bit more bearable.

Family won't ever be solved until dorfs are allowed to either leave permanently or go on vacation (except the occasional few who get married thanks to the relationship fix).

Food...could be solved same as above, but really, it's a bit daft right now (Urist flees for the hills "I must have penguin kidneys!") probably should be edited out and only ever brought back if it's for picky nobles and "do I like this tavern?" visitor calculations.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:57:28 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 25, 2019, 11:49:43 am »

There is still one way to deal with sieges without putting stress on the dwarfs. Massive amounts of magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 25, 2019, 04:29:29 pm »

There is still one way to deal with sieges without putting stress on the dwarfs. Massive amounts of magma.
There are two problems with that approach:
1. FPS. I tried using magma once, but when my test run showed an FPS of 0 I gave up on that approach.
2. Campers. I get camping siegers who just won't go forward nor flee. It's a lot better than it was, but I get it again (it seemed to be gone for a while, for some reason). You'll have to send your militia to remove those (or wait until they leave in bored disgust, which they may or may not do).
3. Sieges have a tendency to litter the surface with the bodies of stupid mercs who tried to enter/leave the fortress while it was under attack, so you still get corpse hauling, although not to the same extent.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 25, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »

I'd add 4: what do you do before reaching the magma sea?

My playstyle is very slow-paced, so my fortresses usually last about ten years (until I lose interest and let whatever disaster destroy the fortress), and I've never reached it, actually. I'd rather turtle and avoid battles altogether rathen than rush to the magma sea.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 25, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »

I've been running a topside for for a bit, and three years in, only had two who kept crying on the expedition leader due mostly to lack of friends and the constant mix of simultaneous snow and rain in winter and the first half of spring. Militia training seems to be helping one of them get out of that funk, the other I dunno what to do with (and can't get rid of because his wife's a legendary armorer.)

Everyone else I've made an effort to provide decent housing (included preferred material stuff where possible) and pets. Having family, pets, and a temple along with plenty of stuff to do mitigates the worst of it, and married dwarves pumping out kids stay remarkable sane, barring the most absolutely fragile of minds (though that is an issue of its own, it's preferable to losing skilled workers to stress.)

Pets are good, I guess is my main point. Seems to do their owners a world of good.

I'd add 4: what do you do before reaching the magma sea?

My playstyle is very slow-paced, so my fortresses usually last about ten years (until I lose interest and let whatever disaster destroy the fortress), and I've never reached it, actually. I'd rather turtle and avoid battles altogether rathen than rush to the magma sea.

Honestly, a slow playstyle and a love of above ground constructions and avoiding cave adaptation are why I usually follow the modded stress vulnerability option, though I didn't do that in this case.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2019, 01:27:53 am »

Pets are good, I guess is my main point. Seems to do their owners a world of good.

Dwarf Fortress 44.12... now featuring therapy dogs!

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 27, 2019, 08:01:01 pm »

I was doing some testing on socializing and relationships. When a unit socializes with another, either because one/both are idle or are socializing in a tavern zone, the "rank" counter in their relationship increments by one or more. When the counter hits 15, they become friends or grudges. It's possible for a unit to socialize several times per in-game day. I don't know if the number is influenced by the personality of the talker or listener. Range seems to be 1-4 per in-game day.

However... Standard good/bad news.
Bad: It looks there are some serious restrictions on which tiles a dwarf will interact with during the "socializing" activity. It looks like they will only interact with units on N,S,E,W adjacent tiles. They ignore units in the same and diagonally adjacent tiles.
Good: A "socializing" unit WILL socialize (increase rank) with other busy dwarves if the busy dwarves aren't moving. I tested with units busy with a pumpstack, a library, and a temple. All of them were repeatedly able to form friendships.

This should give you an option to push your lonely dwarves into having friends.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 27, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »

That would certainly explain why my soldiers tend to make friends with kids who loiter in the barracks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2019, 05:40:10 am »

Dwarf Fortress 44.12... now featuring therapy dogs!

>pets
>good FPS

naaaah

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2019, 04:08:07 pm »

I've stuck with this honeymoon suite setup, that can be added as a tavern expansion.

It takes micro managing by creating a squad for 2 dwarf, then station them inside, then lock the door. 

In the room, as 2 sets of cabinet+bed+coffer that can be assigned as separate 3x3 bedroom (including wall and empty floor space. 

The other half is a 3x4 tavern zone with: 2 tables, 2 chairs, a coffer, 1x4 drink stockpile, and 3 tiles for prepared food or cheese. 

For marriage, it takes about 1 to 2 season for hetero interested in marriage to get married. 
For no relation, not even passing acquaintance, it takes at least 2 seasons. 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »

I was doing some testing on socializing and relationships. When a unit socializes with another, either because one/both are idle or are socializing in a tavern zone, the "rank" counter in their relationship increments by one or more. When the counter hits 15, they become friends or grudges. It's possible for a unit to socialize several times per in-game day. I don't know if the number is influenced by the personality of the talker or listener. Range seems to be 1-4 per in-game day.

However... Standard good/bad news.
Bad: It looks there are some serious restrictions on which tiles a dwarf will interact with during the "socializing" activity. It looks like they will only interact with units on N,S,E,W adjacent tiles. They ignore units in the same and diagonally adjacent tiles.
Good: A "socializing" unit WILL socialize (increase rank) with other busy dwarves if the busy dwarves aren't moving. I tested with units busy with a pumpstack, a library, and a temple. All of them were repeatedly able to form friendships.

This should give you an option to push your lonely dwarves into having friends.
Good stuff :)  I have added this to General Information.

Spoiler: Honeymoon Suite (click to show/hide)
I like the efficient design, but I don't think any fancy building will reduce the amount of micro currently required.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36