Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 133630 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #465 on: May 19, 2019, 04:26:31 am »

Findings and what is the common consensus on the 'fix' change very often as people look for the causes, if I or anybody else was 'wrong' or in light of new findings are disproved then its nothing particularly to dwell upon besides that we're making progress towards better models of running our fortresses.

Strip is the most efficient one i have, but im always looking for better. I've written up a suggestion thread that should help make better use of location zones, in particular taverns to evenly distribute their population and fill out a bit.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:12 am »

oh yeah, this stuff is maddening to test.  Dead ends, false leads and better approaches are inevitable.
I remember a suggestion that social skill level had an impact on this, I'll try giving everyone legendary social skills and see if it affects anything.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 19, 2019, 04:43:25 pm »

Findings and what is the common consensus on the 'fix' change very often as people look for the causes, if I or anybody else was 'wrong' or in light of new findings are disproved then its nothing particularly to dwell upon besides that we're making progress towards better models of running our fortresses.

That's a good point.  The current stress system is certainly an added challenge to smooth fortress operation; and given that it's very much in a work-in-progress state, the methods to adapt to it are not very intuitive.  Definitely requires some experiments.  The harder part of that for me is limiting the factors involved to draw clear conclusions.  I'll try and get an established fort running and see if that makes it easier for me to test this stuff.

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 24, 2019, 12:15:38 pm »

My marks dwarves tantrum one after another due to their fragile psyches while my hammer dwarves have no issue at all with killing. What's the reason for this? They all have good discipline. I even started everyone with natural discipline.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2019, 01:31:34 pm »

Discipline simply lets them keep on functioning in the face of adversity - dwarves with high discipline are more apt to keep things bottled up for longer even while stressed the hell out (and when those dwarves finally do crack, pray they aren't the violent sorts or people get shot, beat with things, or fatally punched in the head,) but they're also unlikely to flee or be overwhelmed by horror when allied sapients die, gritting thier teeth and continuing to fight.

Additionally, your melee dwarves are the ones right in the thick of the fighting, so they've been bombarded with enough emotional trauma to not be bothered by it nearly as much due to the nature of melee combat.

Your marksdwarves simply aren't cut out to be soldiers mentally speaking, which is a separate issue from discipline.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 24, 2019, 02:06:37 pm »

Give them time off to drill in a regular training room to naturally rise passives like discipline, a champion noble ought to help out directing them, archery ranges are very time consuming so they don't normally get the nitty gritty stuff the melee grunts do. Turn them off when the squad is proficient enough to stop rusting the crossbow and archery skill at about 'skilled' level i would recommend.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 24, 2019, 04:48:49 pm »

My marks dwarves tantrum one after another due to their fragile psyches while my hammer dwarves have no issue at all with killing. What's the reason for this? They all have good discipline. I even started everyone with natural discipline.
Are you able to see common differences in the source of stress between the hammer and marksdwarfs? Killing things is usually not a source, but seeing the dead bodies or being vengeful from joining an existing conflict are sources. Maybe your marksdwarfs are seeing the same dead bodies but are accumulating vengeful stress at a higher rate. When you say they all have good discipline, how good?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2019, 03:22:46 am »

The melee squad did train between 0.5 and 1 year longer so they had better stats. It was just strange that 6/8 of the archers ended up with a red arrow, I've never seen this in all my years df. I tried expelling some people but I couldn't change a tantrum spiral. I'll try a new world with a tweaked raw file.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2019, 04:05:59 am »

Like other people hve said, if they're not actively moving towards the enemy they're shooting while standing next to corpses which might be more detrimental because crossbow fights can stretch out for a long time.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 11, 2019, 06:11:46 am »

What was the last DF version before the personality/stress update? I am currently using a very old version of DF and i'd like to get some new features without (heh) stress.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 11, 2019, 06:19:47 am »

The ones that made the game hard were in 0.44.10.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:13 am »

Also, if you're exceptionally worried about stress you can take the modding approach and change dwarves' [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] trait.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 12, 2019, 03:16:11 am »

Also, if you're exceptionally worried about stress you can take the modding approach and change dwarves' [STRESS_VULNERABILITY] trait.
I'm not having bad thought about stress per se, it's just that i don't want to restart the game every so often because of something i can't prevent or fix.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 12, 2019, 07:41:31 am »

As far as I've seen, you have to shift the view from "if I can't save them all I've failed" to "you have to accept some losses, as long as the whole continues to work". Thus, exile or unfortunate accidents for those who can't be saved (avoid killing them directly), and take some care with exposing the dorfs to stress (which further penalizes play styles where you engage in direct confrontation with the enemies, unfortunately). Also, if you don't want to restart every so often you should never use the raiding functionality.

zennyrpg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2019, 12:38:19 am »

I tried playing humans with the "All Races Playable" mod so as to avoid rain related personality disorders when building above ground.  Some of my humans had the description: "She likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather."  None of these humans have had rain related personality changes in 5 years.

However, a significant number of my humans do not have that in their description.  Those humans have been getting various personality changes.  Its a bit disappointing, since they are humans and are meant to live in villages.  I can't really prevent them getting rained on without moving them underground.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36