Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No threats ingame  (Read 1876 times)

Mirrond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No threats ingame
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:28:29 pm »

For some reason I never - NEVER - get visited by any enemies ingame. No ambushes. No kobolds stealing stuff. No goblin invasions. No forgotten beasts. No megabeasts. Literally - NOTHING. It doesn't matter if there are hostile civilizations in the range when I'm setting the fortress - they will not visit me. It doesn't matter if I pierced all three cavern levels - nothing is going to visit me from there. In my current playthrough it's almost ten years already and the only dwarf that got wounded was that one weaver who wandered into caves and got swarmed by lanky gray lachs. He still recuperated.

Also no vampires, no werebeasts.

There isn't even a point of playing anymore. It's like that since last... twenty installments of Masterwork Dwarf Fortress. Each time I play to the moment when I got dead bored by complete lack of threats. Is there a well hidden switch that fires an easy mode that I accidentally switched or what? -_- I remembers when I once played (long time ago) when I kept getting visited by armies to the point of them almost running into each other. Now? ... am I doing something wrong?

Nidor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No threats ingame
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »

Haven't played in a while, but last I heard this was an issue with the base DF game where the game now keeps track of enemies population, and army movement. Meaning the npcs have to do well enough to actually support sending an army, in addition to its travel time, and whether or not you are a big enough (biggest?) target within range to be worth their time. I had some rounds where i could be 10 years in before i saw the first few kidnapper/thief sightings, which pretty much killed my interest in the game.

Prior to that change the enemy sieges would basically just pop into existence at the edge of your map.

Not sure if all this info is correct, it is just how it was explained to me.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:25:39 am »

Yes, the version of the vanilla game that the latest Masterwork is built on, definitely has this problem, and there's not anything straightforward modders can do to address it.  More recent versions are better, now that you can initiate your own wars.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 12:41:22 am »

The current version is way better for invasions. It was a glitch that was causing invasions to leave upon arrival or just never arrive that was the problem. More important is that you can provoke massive invasions through starting your own wars, so if your site is too far away to be a target for gobbos you can provoke them into making it one. It's all very  !!FUN!!
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister