Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warmists never-finished projects  (Read 9767 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Warmists never-finished projects
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:46:41 am »

Let's start with random "Iterated fractal system" (not sure if it's correct term though) : https://imgur.com/a/si6wnbc

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warmists never-finished projects
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »

Party:
Spoiler: Epilepsy warning (click to show/hide)
And pixel based alchemy game:

moneyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »

Pretty neat stuff. What sort of game play were you thinking the alchemy game would have? Maybe running a shop and taking orders? Perhaps exploring for exotic ingredients with the aim of making valuable potions for sale or reaching some sort personal goal like immortality?

Is the 'fractal system' something that generates on it's own or can you control the path of the particles? Do you have any gifs / videos of it? I'm interested in seeing more.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:31 pm »

Pretty neat stuff. What sort of game play were you thinking the alchemy game would have? Maybe running a shop and taking orders? Perhaps exploring for exotic ingredients with the aim of making valuable potions for sale or reaching some sort personal goal like immortality?

Is the 'fractal system' something that generates on it's own or can you control the path of the particles? Do you have any gifs / videos of it? I'm interested in seeing more.
Alchemy: mostly was thinking of sort-of-puzzle game: first you figure out how to get water, then salts, then maybe acids, etc... It would have 3 stages: design, alchemy, recovery. You would be able to recover only one thing per "recovery" stage but it needs to be all connected and pure. So the issue would be to make the machine that purifies X material. That would unlock it for design stage.

Fractal system: it's just points that are randomized and then moved by stupid algo: Points are randomly generated and then moved - "v={old.y,r0+r1*old.x+r2*old.y+r3*old.x*old.y+r4*old.x*old.x+r5*old.y*old.y} and pos=(v+old*speed)/(speed+1);" I guess it's midway between IFS and just a iterative differential equation (forget the terms from uni). The idea with this is to have something sort-of-fractal but with limited knobs to tune... Not sure if i like it because there is no real advantage over fractal flames (imho best IFS for image gen)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:11:35 am »

Added gif export to my shader-toy-thingy...
example export 5mb of gif :|

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:17:37 pm »

Spend some time playing with spirographs: pictures here. best viewed with black background

moneyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:03:33 am »

This looks neat. I found it funny that this gif had -2 points when I looked at it. Odd that someone would feel enough dislike for a gif like that to downvote it. When you said shadertoy, did you mean that you are using this Shadertoy or are you using some other language along with glsl/hlsl? Also, do you need to make use of something like opencl for these or can this be done just with vertex and fragment shaders?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:26:11 am »

This looks neat. I found it funny that this gif had -2 points when I looked at it. Odd that someone would feel enough dislike for a gif like that to downvote it. When you said shadertoy, did you mean that you are using this Shadertoy or are you using some other language along with glsl/hlsl? Also, do you need to make use of something like opencl for these or can this be done just with vertex and fragment shaders?
frag shader only. When i started hacking stuff there was no multiple buffers in shadertoy so i had to make my own. And because i don't do web stuff it's a c++ opengl~3 thing: source here Though shaders are probably outdated as i'm constantly hacking on them in my google drive.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »

So shaders are cool, but too um... non-linear, and buffers are pain to manage and i want to rewrite that thing, so i did another thing: Here

Basically a lua(jit) powered monster that put pixels on screen... BUT you can have many buffers and create wonderful non-linear things (like fractal flames - hopefully soon?). For now included spirograph script:

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 04:38:36 pm »

That looks kinda cool. You should make it a logo for that multiplayer mod you should be working on. Wink wink, wonk wonk, nudge nudge, if you catch my drift

Seriously tho, it looks nice, even tho I have zero standard to judge that by

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:43:57 am »

That looks kinda cool. You should make it a logo for that multiplayer mod you should be working on. Wink wink, wonk wonk, nudge nudge, if you catch my drift

Seriously tho, it looks nice, even tho I have zero standard to judge that by

*nervous laughter* ah yes that thing i'm currently doing and totally not putting off because of reasons...