Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Project Phoenix - Open Legend-powered soft sci-fi West Marches game  (Read 4931 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Hmm... From the little bit of fluff in the first post I got more "loosely organized teams being payed per-job/find by the government" and less "government organized teams of professionals on a salary". In other words, I'm guessing the PCs are a mercenary band operating in an area where the government is subsidizing work.

I could be totally wrong though...

If it is work directly for the government under government control, my character may have a slight issue being an escaped AI and all... Nothing a slight rewrite of my backstory can't fix. None of the fluff is set in stone until more setting details are revealed, for example if it is direct government teams I'll probably just be a FURRy assigned directly to the team that was given a few "interesting" off-book modifications by a bored tech or some such. Go legit basically :P
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I guess just having a system of paying and alerting teams of contractors would work, and fits with us being able to basically pick which jobs we go on. I think maybe you understood it better than I did.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

With how stories in West Marches-style games come out from players' organic interactions as opposed to a predefined plot, and with it being still so early (literally pre-session 0), it's definitely fine to not have all the details of your character's backstory or motivations figured out yet.

Hmm... From the little bit of fluff in the first post I got more "loosely organized teams being payed per-job/find by the government" and less "government organized teams of professionals on a salary". In other words, I'm guessing the PCs are a mercenary band operating in an area where the government is subsidizing work.

I could be totally wrong though...

If it is work directly for the government under government control, my character may have a slight issue being an escaped AI and all... Nothing a slight rewrite of my backstory can't fix. None of the fluff is set in stone until more setting details are revealed, for example if it is direct government teams I'll probably just be a FURRy assigned directly to the team that was given a few "interesting" off-book modifications by a bored tech or some such. Go legit basically :P

It is more of the former. The organization is (interstellar) government-funded, and there might be more 'regularly' paid workers in there among the NPCs, but you as the players are more of a mercenary/work-for-hire variety (regardless of background).

Indeed, you are not the only such team working in that manner - which means you might encounter other teams on your missions, and either ally or compete with them, for that much extra Fun(TM).

On an unrelated note, a friend of mine (and a few others possibly) is willing to partake in this, however I'm not sure how to resolve the issue of them not being on Bay12 (and not wanting to) and thus not being able to partake in the IC thread for downtime stuff.
Then again I'm still figuring out the specifics of how the downtime IC thread is going to work, and what you will be able to do there...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Is there anyone interested who does not have Discord?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Is there anyone interested who does not have Discord?

...Good question. Y'all?

I mostly threw that "no VC or Discord needed" as a weird precaution, however if it helps with some of the organization and whatnot I'm not against throwing something together for this.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have discord

A question: I thought about a character that a robot or a soldier that work with the council and got to the crew to keep an eye on them, I didn't play any RPG before so if you don't want this kind of character or want someone who knows what he does with it just say so, I have some other ideas.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

I have discord

A question: I thought about a character that a robot or a soldier that work with the council and got to the crew to keep an eye on them, I didn't play any RPG before so if you don't want this kind of character or want someone who knows what he does with it just say so, I have some other ideas.

That should work, yeah. A little barren at the moment maybe, but it does sound like a fine concept, and I can definitely see it working if developed further.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mostly threw that "no VC or Discord needed" as a weird precaution, however if it helps with some of the organization and whatnot I'm not against throwing something together for this.
I have discord and I actually prefer VC as at times I can type glacially slowly which isn't the best for RPs.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have discord. You could also create an IC thread on the game's Roll20 page. That might not get seen as much as here or discord though, since somebody could go straight from Recent Games to Launch Game, without really stopping at the front page.

I like the council soldier idea. There's another game I'm playing where I'm basically your standard Good Soldier, and I personally think it's fun.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My idea with this now is basically a modified body guard robot to go with mercenaries and make sure they won't cause more problems than they worth, but I don't know if I can play it in a way that fun to the group.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

How many robits do we currently have? I kinda want to make a battlebot with the Battle Trance and Alternative Form feats, the idea being that it transforms into a turret-esque shape in combat and engages special battle programming.

I don't want there to be too many robot things around though. Maybe I'll just save the concept as a back up for when my squshy meatsack character inevitably dies or something.
Love, scriver~

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Well, we have Milo's Tau (a feline mech), Interus' SRS-1 combat drone companion, and my non-B12 friend is gonna play someone with a mech they can hop into during combat.

So by technicality only one pure robotic character, and one that does things differently enough where a sort of Overwatch Bastion-esque character still fills an untapped niche, if that's what you're after.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I don't play Overwatch so I had to google, but possibly, except maybe not so tanky. I'll keep the concept for later. I think I want to play a human or at least something living to begin with. I'm thinking I might be going for a commando type person. I haven't read through much more than character creation stuff yet so I'm not too sure about how combat works - is cover a thing in this system? I'm asking because I'm assuming we will be using mainly ranged weapons (or having mainly ranged weapons used against us), and manoeuvrability abilities looses a bit of use if you can shoot people just as well from the front as you can from the flanks or behind.

Speaking of your non-B12 friend, when I read the character example with a flying manticore companion/mount in the character creation guide I had the idea of a guy in flying thingy, something like that Vries guy from that Alien movie. It seemed like fun.

Edit: Fixed the second paragraph.

Also, a question: Do Combat Follow-through and Combat Momentum stack to let you both attack again and move as two free actions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:15:58 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

I don't play Overwatch so I had to google, but possibly, except maybe not so tanky. I'll keep the concept for later. I think I want to play a human or at least something living to begin with. I'm thinking I might be going for a commando type person. I haven't read through much more than character creation stuff yet so I'm not too sure about how combat works - is cover a thing in this system? I'm asking because I'm assuming we will be using mainly ranged weapons (or having mainly ranged weapons used against us), and manoeuvrability abilities looses a bit of use if you can shoot people just as well from the front as you can from the flanks or behind.

Speaking of your non-B12 friend, when I read the character example with a flying manticore companion/mount in the character creation guide I had the idea of a guy in flying thingy, something like that Vries guy from that Alien movie. It seemed like fun.

Edit: Fixed the second paragraph.

Also, a question: Do Combat Follow-through and Combat Momentum stack to let you both attack again and move as two free actions?

AFAIK cover isn't strictly a mechanic per se, but it shouldn't be too difficult to just give disadvantage to attacks aimed at targets behind 'cover' (be it a wall, crate or another person), with higher levels of disavantage depending on how well hidden the target is.
Also I will try to keep a good mix of melee and ranged attacks, but with this being a sci-fi setting I will inevitably end up leaning towards ranged to at least some extent.

As for the Combat feats, I believe they do work together.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:27:12 am by Mesa »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

This sounds intriguing, I'd potentially be interested.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4