Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Project Phoenix - Open Legend-powered soft sci-fi West Marches game  (Read 4876 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

What is this?
This is the out-of-character, meta-discussion, player banter and questions thread for Project Phoenix, an up-and-coming space opera/soft sci-fi campaign ran by yours truly!

The details of the setting are still a bit in flux (and will be uncovered by the players as the campaign progresses), but here is the pitch:
Spoiler: Fluff stuff (click to show/hide)

IC thread coming once I get some more things prepared, but also when this garners enough interest.

Now, why would it garner interest, you may ask? What makes this different (if not better) than other games ran around here?

For one, this is meant to follow the West Marches format of RPGs. Or the really old-school D&D format, depending on who you ask.
Here's how it works:

Spoiler: Open Legend, explained (click to show/hide)

So yeah, for the time being, this is to check just how many people are interested, and for those who are interested to bombard me with questions to clear up things I inevitably missed/will miss (I've put off writing this for like a week now).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:48:58 pm by Mesa »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I am curious and interested.
Love, scriver~

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I would be interested. I have never used roll20, but I have played RPGs on Discord and here on the forum.

EDIT: I'm guessing from the fluff that character race will be pretty free-form? If so, I have an awesome (but not too odd-ball) idea.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:21:42 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

I would be interested. I have never used roll20, but I have played RPGs on Discord and here on the forum.

EDIT: I'm guessing from the fluff that character race will be pretty free-form? If so, I have an awesome (but not too odd-ball) idea.

There's a few established species if one is a bit indecisive (and will be featured more prominently as NPCs/enemies), but you can go wild there, yeah.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Some extra things I failed to mention:

Even though the sessions are going to be on roll20, I do not plan to use voicechat, so no mic is required.
(Partly because roll20's voice chat quality is subpar, and I don't want to force people onto Discord if they don't use it, and I feel more comfortable with text as a GM.)
I'd also be willing to take co-GMs on board if the group gets large enough, but that's more of a "just in case"/"for the future" statement.

I'm also working on something of a class/species list (more of a starting point/suggestion list), akin to what the OL core rules here.
Not sure how much of that I will get done, but hey, fun exercise I guess.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found this site https://openlegend.heromuster.com/ for making character sheets, and it's pretty handy just for the ability to filter banes and boons to what you can actually use.

Milo, there's a feat called climbing that lets you climb on everything at your move speed and only costs 1 feat point! I don't know if you looked at feats yet, but that character just has to have it. (in case this reads as bossy, I intended it to sound excited)

Personally, I'm strongly leaning towards a hacker that's exactly like the one in the archetypes under character creation. With Fugitive and Observant as perks, and cowardly as a flaw. I decided on those before I knew that the setting involved working for the government, but there's no reason my current employers need to know that I've got a lot of underworld connections.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

I found this site https://openlegend.heromuster.com/ for making character sheets, and it's pretty handy just for the ability to filter banes and boons to what you can actually use.

Milo, there's a feat called climbing that lets you climb on everything at your move speed and only costs 1 feat point! I don't know if you looked at feats yet, but that character just has to have it. (in case this reads as bossy, I intended it to sound excited)

Personally, I'm strongly leaning towards a hacker that's exactly like the one in the archetypes under character creation. With Fugitive and Observant as perks, and cowardly as a flaw. I decided on those before I knew that the setting involved working for the government, but there's no reason my current employers need to know that I've got a lot of underworld connections.

HeroMuster is neat indeed, and there's even some macros one can slap on a character sheet to get a link to a filtered list of available boons/banes (and feats but I don't know how to get that working properly). Real handy!

(I did set it up on the char sheets for the three of you who offered to join, just to get it out of the way.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I did indeed find that feat, and you are right, my character has to have it :) I also put the "Great Leap" and "Breakfall" feats on my list, climbing, jumping (farther than normal) with agility rather than might, and always landing on its feet are rather important to a cat :P

Full char sheet (thank you for the character builder link BTW)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:00:30 am by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Count me in as someone interested in this, but it's 2AM for me right now so I'll take a crack at the system later on, when I'm actually awake.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Intrested.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

I did indeed find that feat, and you are right, my character has to have it :) I also put the "Great Leap" and "Breakfall" feats on my list, climbing, jumping (farther than normal) with agility rather than might, and always landing on its feet are rather important to a cat :P

Full char sheet (thank you for the character builder link BTW)

FWIW, you can make character sheets directly in roll20 (which is handy for then referencing stuff from them in chat, during rolls and whatnot). I'm porting yours over to it right now, but still, use that in the future.

You can hop into the roll20 so I can give you a bit of a tour of it.
(Invites for Rockeater and Happerry are on the way.)

Some notes of mine:
- Craft Mundane Item requires a specialization/profession and Tau doesn't have one specified. What is it that he is meant to craft, broadly speaking?
- Curious isn't an official flaw, which isn't wrong per se, but it did make me have to wing the description a little bit.

(I hope I haven't actually been screwing up sending the PMs to y'all...)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:55:02 am by Mesa »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I looked for char sheets on roll 20, but didn't find them. I know they exist, but...

Craft Mundane Item does not have a specialization because the sheet lacks a slot for it. I figure "Engineering" would be the best one from the list in the rules.

Curious has the following description on my old char sheet: "Like Kipling's mongoose, Tau has an insatiable urge to "run find out", even when that would be a bad idea..."

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Well have you tried joining the game yet?
The sheets (and other things like handouts) are in the Journal tab when you are in a game. (Unless I truly fucked up the permissions, which I don't think I did...)

As for stuff like Craft Mundane Item specializations, I usually put them in parentheses after the feat name.
In this case, it would be Craft Mundane Item I (Engineering), so it can be distinguished from, say, Craft Mundane Item I (Medicine), if you ever wish to pursue that for instance

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hrmm this looks interesting. I may have to look over the rules and put together a character.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my character is a sort of wandering hacker named Pisces who's placed herself into the Phoenix Project. Only now I'm not sure why. I want to play a role where I'm using spying and precognition to pinpoint targets for the group, using Truesight and occasionally my Observant perk to try to detect traps and maybe logic to disarm them, and bolster to boost my allies in combat, or maybe my drone, but I want to be a team player.

So now I have to figure out why a hacker who's scared of getting hurt and is constantly covering her tracks would join a government organization sending teams into dangerous areas. Best I've got is that she's interested in trying to figure out Andromedan computer systems, but there's a lot of concerns there. First, that's not a real goal. But maybe I'll change it to something audacious like reactivating an Andromedan scout ship and keeping it secret from the authorities (which honestly sounds like a terrible idea to me because it would attract WAY too much attention). On the other hand, her past is completely unwritten, other than that she has ties to information brokers and has a completely harmless background on record. Maybe she's looking for her parents or family. At the very least, I know that she wants to work with people because information alone isn't enough, and she needs close ties to people who are capable in other ways. I can't figure out what she needs those ties for though. She's not prone to being straightforward though, so if it comes down to it, maybe I'll just keep it a secret (even from myself) until we learn more about the setting.

So far though, I really like Tau and the Wract. I figure that as a fan of robots and computers, (and because I'm personally pro-AI) Pisces likes artificial intelligence, and would feel somewhat excited about meeting what could be considered a rogue AI. Plus it's a cat. I don't know if she's ever seen a cat before, but cats are great and robots are great. As for the Wract, they're very interesting. She shares the value of being willing to break the law and cross barriers to achieve your goals, while minimizing attention, and definitely has no problems with lying, but doesn't like the idea of assassination. She probably views backstabbing in a sort of "It's just business" way. I found that bio to be very interesting it got me thinking about what her own values would be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4