Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any interest in a library-focused succession?  (Read 3215 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Any interest in a library-focused succession?
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:53:18 pm »

Edit: Game has started: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171834.0

Temples are cool and Taverns are a great meat-shield.  However, out of everything to come from the last major update, Libraries were my favorite.  The assorted procedural books lend so much to the imagination, and RP potential.  Now that Stress is more or less functional, would anyone be interested in recreating The Ancient Library of Alexandria, in Dorf form?  There are a few mods I have in mind which would add a bit of spice as well.  Also, I feel inclined to mention that 'no' is an acceptable answer.  Not every succession proposal is a winner, and it's good to spitball ideas for exactly that reason.

Edit: Clarification
Could you elaborate on what these mods would be.
Not mandatory mind you, just an idea to add some variety.  The ones I have in mind; Extra Crafting- items traditionally limited to boulders & logs can now be made from gems, bones, and blocks.  More Invaders- Assorted hostiles will be visiting at different times of year (Fortress Defense II, if anyone knows it).

Note that if you do this, 1-year turns may often not get any discoveries; and if you want a preexisting knowledge base /scholars / library in world you have to have dwarves build one in their fortress, which requires bit of time in worldgen. If you want to start before that, it might be prudent to make and immediatelly abandon few teams of 7 with desired library skills you want in immigrants as you have no other way to tell a dwarf to become an astronomer.

Also, instead of 1 giant library dozen+ smaller ones could be better; as to avoid skill contamination and everyone discussing only 1 or 2 topics.

(Though some discoveries requires knowledge from multiple bases.)

Btw, if you want papyrus, you need tropical swamp.
Good points all around.  I was thinking we'd have a whole bunch of libraries, especially as social order inevitably breaks down among the Overseers.  I typically gen my worlds between 300 & 350 years, so creating a few waves of scholarly Dorfs was also a consideration.  As for writing material, we don't need to be that literal :p  I'm content if our greatest works are written on cat leather scrolls.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:52:53 pm by Immortal-D »

ClimbingEast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a library-focused succession?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 08:52:29 pm »

I wouldn't be interested in playing it, but I'd be very interested in *reading* about it. :)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:05:15 pm »

It's a good idea, but unfortunately I'm stretched pretty thin atm. Wish you luck though!

BinaryBlackhole

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Wererats in the Walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:08:57 am »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:34:36 am »

Note that if you do this, 1-year turns may often not get any discoveries; and if you want a preexisting knowledge base /scholars / library in world you have to have dwarves build one in their fortress, which requires bit of time in worldgen. If you want to start before that, it might be prudent to make and immediatelly abandon few teams of 7 with desired library skills you want in immigrants as you have no other way to tell a dwarf to become an astronomer.

Also, instead of 1 giant library dozen+ smaller ones could be better; as to avoid skill contamination and everyone discussing only 1 or 2 topics.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 07:49:17 am »

Not mandatory mind you, just an idea to add some variety.  The ones I have in mind; Extra Crafting- items traditionally limited to boulders & logs can now be made from gems, bones, and blocks.  More Invaders- Assorted hostiles will be visiting at different times of year (Fortress Defense II, if anyone knows it).

Good points all around.  I was thinking we'd have a whole bunch of libraries, especially as social order inevitably breaks down among the Overseers.  I typically gen my worlds between 300 & 350 years, so creating a few waves of scholarly Dorfs was also a consideration.  As for writing material, we don't need to be that literal :p  I'm content if our greatest works are written on cat leather scrolls.

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 08:21:30 am »

I've tried running a few forts like this. good fun. put me in line. depending on the mods though? I tend to play without them, so might be rather unfamiliar.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:18:39 pm »

I will play this, if you start it. I'll work with the mods you choose; I just won't use any visual effect changes, as I like the stock ASCII art for DF. I'm interested in this because of the idea of making a whole library with all kinds of different history and culture in it gets me quite excited indeed.  :)

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 07:26:20 pm »

Would love to join in if possible! I know basically all the basics of dwarf fortress but I still have to learn a few of the more advanced things, so I dont know if that would make myself an invalid candidate  ::) ( and also i've never done a succession game before but whatevs), but I love the idea! So count me in if you dont mind  :D

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »

Well now, here's a thread I didn't expect to see again, lol.  I suppose 2-3 players is enough to get things started.  I'll see about getting the setup & first chapter knocked out this week, hopefully the next player will be able to take it on the weekend.
Would love to join in if possible! I know basically all the basics of dwarf fortress but I still have to learn a few of the more advanced things, so I dont know if that would make myself an invalid candidate  ::) ( and also i've never done a succession game before but whatevs), but I love the idea! So count me in if you dont mind  :D
Welcome to the party :)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:42 am »

It would be interesting to set this up as a library themed adventure succession.  Choose one civ of dwarves to be the builders, who then retire every time the Caravan comes around. Members from other civs (dwarves, humans, ect...) then have a chance to bring a book to the Library and retire there (or die trying.)  Other quests can be requested by the Player who picks up the save and plays it until the next caravan: Come kill this siege, bring parchment/ink/beer ect...

Each new Overseer should be able to accept one (1) new adventurer into the Fortress as a resident.  Not denying the others, but not accepting them either.  Submission of a book is the entry requirement, while completion of the other quests increases their chances of becoming residents...

Anyway, doing it that way, dwarves at the Library have a chance to marry, have little dwarflings and pursue things like geometry and astonomy
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 01:47:45 pm »

It would be interesting to set this up as a library themed adventure succession.  Choose one civ of dwarves to be the builders, who then retire every time the Caravan comes around. Members from other civs (dwarves, humans, ect...) then have a chance to bring a book to the Library and retire there (or die trying.)  Other quests can be requested by the Player who picks up the save and plays it until the next caravan: Come kill this siege, bring parchment/ink/beer ect...

Each new Overseer should be able to accept one (1) new adventurer into the Fortress as a resident.  Not denying the others, but not accepting them either.  Submission of a book is the entry requirement, while completion of the other quests increases their chances of becoming residents...

Anyway, doing it that way, dwarves at the Library have a chance to marry, have little dwarflings and pursue things like geometry and astonomy
Oh I really like that idea :)  Temporarily retiring the Fort to play an Adventurer who quests to bring rare books and stuff back to the Fortress.  The world is Medium with no shortage of civs, so a few chapters of Adventurer would definitely be a fun tangent.

Simon_science

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 02:31:43 pm »

Oh I really like that idea :)  Temporarily retiring the Fort to play an Adventurer who quests to bring rare books and stuff back to the Fortress.  The world is Medium with no shortage of civs, so a few chapters of Adventurer would definitely be a fun tangent.

After reading this comment, I encountered something on the wiki that gave me an idea:
"Books containing "secrets of life and death" are occasionally written during world generation by necromancers and various demonic rulers. Any mortal creature who reads one will immediately learn the secrets to immortality and the ability to raise the dead. Necromancy books can be found in a necromancer's tower among other types of books, including the original slab of which the secrets originated from.

Necromancers invading the fortress may bring their books along, which could be necromancy books. Looting a necromancy book and storing it in a library will cause all of the fortress population to gradually become immortal masters of death every time one of them reads the book, and this process can be accelerated by creating copies of the book. Adventurers who have learned the secrets of life and death can also write their own necromancy books (by random chance) and share it to the world by placing them in a library for people to read."

So the reason these two things ticked me off is because it reminded me of the plot of a somewhat known book I had to read for french class called "Le nom de la rose" (french is my first language). I'll put spoilers if you dont want this spoiled, but I think it could serve as great inspiration for this fortress:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »

I'd be interested in taking a turn when this gets started.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

BlueKanary

• Bay Watcher
  • *Chirp Chirp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 09:37:25 pm »

I'll join in if there is room. I would certainly love to help make the center of dwarvern knowledge!
Pages: [1] 2