Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Any interest in a library-focused succession?

(1/4) > >>

Immortal-D:
Edit: Game has started: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171834.0

Temples are cool and Taverns are a great meat-shield.  However, out of everything to come from the last major update, Libraries were my favorite.  The assorted procedural books lend so much to the imagination, and RP potential.  Now that Stress is more or less functional, would anyone be interested in recreating The Ancient Library of Alexandria, in Dorf form?  There are a few mods I have in mind which would add a bit of spice as well.  Also, I feel inclined to mention that 'no' is an acceptable answer.  Not every succession proposal is a winner, and it's good to spitball ideas for exactly that reason.

Edit: Clarification

--- Quote from: BinaryBlackhole on June 30, 2018, 02:08:57 am ---Could you elaborate on what these mods would be.

--- End quote ---
Not mandatory mind you, just an idea to add some variety.  The ones I have in mind; Extra Crafting- items traditionally limited to boulders & logs can now be made from gems, bones, and blocks.  More Invaders- Assorted hostiles will be visiting at different times of year (Fortress Defense II, if anyone knows it).

--- Quote from: Fleeting Frames on June 30, 2018, 06:34:36 am ---Note that if you do this, 1-year turns may often not get any discoveries; and if you want a preexisting knowledge base /scholars / library in world you have to have dwarves build one in their fortress, which requires bit of time in worldgen. If you want to start before that, it might be prudent to make and immediatelly abandon few teams of 7 with desired library skills you want in immigrants as you have no other way to tell a dwarf to become an astronomer.

Also, instead of 1 giant library dozen+ smaller ones could be better; as to avoid skill contamination and everyone discussing only 1 or 2 topics.

(Though some discoveries requires knowledge from multiple bases.)

Btw, if you want papyrus, you need tropical swamp.

--- End quote ---
Good points all around.  I was thinking we'd have a whole bunch of libraries, especially as social order inevitably breaks down among the Overseers.  I typically gen my worlds between 300 & 350 years, so creating a few waves of scholarly Dorfs was also a consideration.  As for writing material, we don't need to be that literal :p  I'm content if our greatest works are written on cat leather scrolls.

ClimbingEast:
I wouldn't be interested in playing it, but I'd be very interested in *reading* about it. :)

Bearskie:
It's a good idea, but unfortunately I'm stretched pretty thin atm. Wish you luck though!

BinaryBlackhole:
Could you elaborate on what these mods would be.

Fleeting Frames:
Note that if you do this, 1-year turns may often not get any discoveries; and if you want a preexisting knowledge base /scholars / library in world you have to have dwarves build one in their fortress, which requires bit of time in worldgen. If you want to start before that, it might be prudent to make and immediatelly abandon few teams of 7 with desired library skills you want in immigrants as you have no other way to tell a dwarf to become an astronomer.

Also, instead of 1 giant library dozen+ smaller ones could be better; as to avoid skill contamination and everyone discussing only 1 or 2 topics.

(Though some discoveries requires knowledge from multiple bases.)

Btw, if you want papyrus, you need tropical swamp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version