Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: devilution - Diablo reverse engineered  (Read 1902 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
devilution - Diablo reverse engineered
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:19:00 am »

Heard about this today and thought people might be interested.

It's a fully reverse engineered source code set for the original Diablo.

https://github.com/galaxyhaxz/devilution

Requires the original game assets to actually run, much like Open XCOM, but it provides people a way to actually update and mod the game much more easily.

I'm interested to see how this shakes out and what comes of it. I always enjoyed the original Diablo more than the sequels, so it'd be great to see  a more modern version of it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: devilution - Diablo reverse engineered
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:32:29 am »

PTFW

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:34 am »

That is unbelievably cool. Hopefully Blizzard won't nuke the project. As you said, this is going to make maintenance and modding much easier. Also, it'll give us the possibility of a native Linux build (didn't work too well with wine last time I tried)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

Yeah. Huge respect for the guy who is doing this. He says he's put like 1200 hours into the project to get it where it is. Hopefully some more people join in and help him.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:25:04 am »

Yup. I'd definitely join in if my C++ ability were any better than that of a rubber hammer. Might be worth getting back up to scratch, though. This is a project I really want to see succeeding.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:36:20 pm »

Very impressive, and there's the potential for incredible mods to come out of it - Whilst Diablo 2 was far superior in pretty much every way, Diablo 1 had a simplicity that makes it a lot more open to some great modding.

Good to see even from the github page that a few people are running with it - will be great to see how it turns out!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:31:39 pm »

Nice....ptw

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 04:49:22 am »

If anyone does see any good mods come of it - please post them here in case others miss it!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:17:35 am »

Always wanted to make a mod for Diablo. I've got loads of archived tutorials, tools and guides about the whole game and modding it (finding it now might be troublesome though). I was thinking about a side project from my Half-Life mod, and this comes as a gift from the tormented souls in hell. Let the modding begin!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 09:41:20 am »

That's very cool, but it's unfortunate that the source itself looks like much of it is just raw decompiler output, or maybe a lot of hand translated disassembly.  That's going to make it hard to really build on top of the code, but translating it to really human readable code would probably take a long time and be error prone.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:54:33 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 09:52:58 am »

Reverse engineering is !!FUN!! And it's still better than HEX editing.

Final Edit:

Here's a link to the modding archive if anyone is interested: Beware all ye who enter here!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:19:02 pm by Dark One »