Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: carpets  (Read 6808 times)

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: carpets
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:58 am »

I wonder if the engravings would remain as a decoration on the block items instead.
And blocks could be pre-engraved before being used to construct walls.
That raises the question how the engraver would react if the engraved block is used in the making of an artifact, because the block is almost always made into something decorative.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 11:58:46 pm »

I wonder if the engravings would remain as a decoration on the block items instead.
That raises the question how the engraver would react if the engraved block is used in the making of an artifact, because the block is almost always made into something decorative.
wait, blocks can be used in artifacts? Or is that modded content?
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 12:01:08 am »

Artifacts are NOT moddable, like many things in DF.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 04:33:00 am »

wait, blocks can be used in artifacts? Or is that modded content?
Nope, that's canon. I don't really know what kind of artifact would logically require a stone block (an artifact screw pump?), but artifacts in general make damn little sense anyway, so . . .

Until we gain the ability to specify what should be engraved in specific locations, pre-engraved blocks could be a far simpler way to implement rooms with themed decorations. The ones you don't use could be sold as trade goods.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 06:46:20 pm »

Nope, that's canon. I don't really know what kind of artifact would logically require a stone block (an artifact screw pump?), but artifacts in general make damn little sense anyway, so . . .
I think I've had blocks used to make furniture, e.g., a floodgate.

Until we gain the ability to specify what should be engraved in specific locations, pre-engraved blocks could be a far simpler way to implement rooms with themed decorations. The ones you don't use could be sold as trade goods.
We already can. A [D]etails option appears in the designations menu while hovering over an engraving job.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 11:06:15 am »

Until we gain the ability to specify what should be engraved in specific locations . . .
We already can. A [D]etails option appears in the designations menu while hovering over an engraving job.
Well, glory be, so we can! I tend not to actually Engrave my forts, I just tell my dudes to Smooth absolutely everything, & leave it at that. But no more . . .
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 11:51:20 am »

I think I've had blocks used to make furniture, e.g., a floodgate.

Yeah but the (d)etail on individual jobs is pretty much useless if you want to, say, have a royal bedroom filled with nothing but pictures of the king. Also you cant specify "types" of things to engrave either, dwarves only take precise exact commissions or draw whatever random shit pops into their addled brains
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »

Until we gain the ability to specify what should be engraved in specific locations . . .
Well, glory be, so we can! I tend not to actually Engrave my forts, I just tell my dudes to Smooth absolutely everything, & leave it at that. But no more . . .
Watch as SixOfSpades engraved every square inch with images of cheese...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 10:19:42 pm »

Yeah but the (d)etail on individual jobs is pretty much useless if you want to, say, have a royal bedroom filled with nothing but pictures of the king. Also you cant specify "types" of things to engrave either, dwarves only take precise exact commissions or draw whatever random shit pops into their addled brains
It's no worse than the current state of statues or «decorations».
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]