Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often?

It's very frequent and happens in every world I generate.
- 2 (9.5%)
It doesn't happen every time I play, but happens enough to be a serious problem.
- 2 (9.5%)
It's uncommon, but it has happened to me multiple times.
- 2 (9.5%)
I have only ever had it happen once or twice.
- 6 (28.6%)
I have never experienced an area becoming a crash-on-entry site.
- 9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How often do your adventures end in world-destroying corruptions?  (Read 2751 times)

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often do your adventures end in world-destroying corruptions?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 11:23:46 am »

What's the error message you're getting from this?  The only time I couldn't enter a city it was because I did a bunch of modding and when I tried to enter the city the game kept allocating memory until I had to kill it.  I did a ton of adventuring earlier this year on 44.02-44.06, probably 200-300 hours, and I never saw any city corruption.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 11:42:54 am »

There is none of note. It's the regular Windows crash message. Does not seem to leave an error message in the log, either.

[EDIT] The problem has been confirmed and fixed by Toady and should be gone in the next release. All is well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:47:16 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 03:37:55 am »

What's the error message you're getting from this?  The only time I couldn't enter a city it was because I did a bunch of modding and when I tried to enter the city the game kept allocating memory until I had to kill it.  I did a ton of adventuring earlier this year on 44.02-44.06, probably 200-300 hours, and I never saw any city corruption.

I've been playing adventure mode for two years. Whether I'm playing Vanilla or Masterwork, ASCII or tiles, friendly squads from my hometown will attack my companions in every world I generate. If there are travelling NPCs then they will either
a) Generate infinite clones of all monsters in the region after dying
b) Crash the game upon leaving travel mode

The only way to yield and cease hostilities is to teleport your companions away. This also prevents with drowning and suffocation.

Maybe the entity id gets corrupted when an adventure mode site (the area loaded when you exit travel mode) overlaps with a town/city/camp/ruin, and the client tries places the NPC in both the town/city/camp/ruin and the overworld site so that it is in two sites at once. Since a single travel mode tile can simultaneously exist outside of a town/city/camp/ruin while overlapping onto it so that a travelling NPC entering or leaving a town/city/camp/ruin has two data entries for a single location. Or something. I have waited two years for this to be fixed, but Adventure Mode is still unplayable and there are no handlers or workarounds to fix corrupted saves.

The icing on the cake is that since Dwarf Fortress consistently crashes every 16 hours due computing smoke, having a key pressed while loading a site, or moving too quickly (Adventure Mode often moves you two tiles when you move once, so there is no way to prevent this) this forces you to save often in order to mitigate crashes. Yet saving often increases the risk of file corruption, which causes crashes.

It is impossible to roleplay in Adventure Mode, as resting in towns or cities will regularly corrupt your NPC files, whereas sleeping outside of towns and cities guarantees a half-hour fight with bogeymen that indefinitely chase you by teleporting next to you and massacring entire towns when you try to flee.

Want to play as a mythical beast? Get ready for loyalty cascades, crashing on site creation, and exiting at player forts. Want to generate a custom map? Get ready for drowning, freezing and cave-ins at spawn, along with corrupt entity IDs and respawn loops. Player Forts corrupt saves in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:11:16 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:29 am »

Never experienced the stuff you talked about. Delete everything in your DF folder and start fresh, maybe?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 10:38:57 am »

That is truly bizarre. I have never, not in my near decade of playing DF, experienced anything like that. Is your CPU damaged or something?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 01:55:26 pm »

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I had to scroll down in Dropbox to download all of the .dat files!

That is truly bizarre. I have never, not in my near decade of playing DF, experienced anything like that. Is your CPU damaged or something?
I have played on four computers, one of which had a fried motherboard, and one of which had its sixth cpu core overheat. I am currently playing on a new computer with nine Dwarf Fortress installations; half of which are on my solid-state drive. RAM, disk space, and CPU usage are never an issue. Most of the fortress mode bugs have been patched, yet modding other races to be civilized will still make them attack companions, any custom tilesets crash camp construction and switching tilesets after world creation corrupts your save. Surprisingly, apart from a corrupt save file and a resolved tree branch bug, I have never had problems in adventure mode when visiting player & NPC forts that are not connected to an underground cavern. I always use Vanilla, and have played v0.28, 0.42, 0.43, and 0.44. I crash on average once every 16 hours.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:01:21 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 11:24:55 pm »

To the two other dudes experiencing the crash problem, it's finally fixed! 44.12 is out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:33:47 pm by George_Chickens »
Pages: 1 [2]