Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Starter Pack for Mac — Alpha release  (Read 10573 times)

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Starter Pack for Mac — Alpha release
« on: July 02, 2018, 03:38:42 am »

I have taken a stab at bringing PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack to macOS. It contains the same packages except for the handful that are Windows-only—notably it does *not* have Armok Vision (as the author has discontinued Mac releases). Please see the original thread for more information.

This is an alpha release. I've gotten the starter pack builder to work on macOS and confirmed that custom graphics are loaded in DF, but truth be told I have barely played Dwarf Fortress, so I don't have the expertise to do thorough testing. I'm looking for the Mac community to provide testing and feedback.

I don't want to misrepresent this as an official release from PeridexisErrant, which I hope will come in the future. As an alternative, there is still the Lazy Mac Pack, though it is a little bit out of date.

I couldn't make this available without the work of many others. Please consider supporting PeridexisErrant, or whatever mods you like best. You can also support my work, which will permit me to continue working on this.

You can download the starter pack on GitHub. The best way to send feedback is through a bug report on GitHub.

See below for crash-on-launch workarounds.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:55:58 am by rgov »

Thoth1972

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Starter Pack for Mac — Alpha release
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:12:43 am »

I'm getting an immediate crash, won't open. Thank you so much for doing this, us Mac users have been tight-belting it with ole 44.05 for many moons now

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:38:31 am »

I think the crash-on-launch has to do with App Translocation, which is a security feature introduced recently in macOS. Essentially, when you download an app from the Internet, the system treats it with some suspicion. When you run the app out of ~/Downloads, it actually copies the PyLNP.app to a separate directory and runs it from there. Since it doesn't know to also copy the Dwarf Fortress directory (etc.), then when this isolated PyLNP.app tries to find it, it exits immediately.

The workaround *should* be to move the whole folder out of ~/Downloads. Please tell me if that doesn't work for you. If it still doesn't work, you can open up the Terminal and run this (adjusting the path for wherever you moved it):

Code: [Select]
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Desktop/Mac\ Starter\ Pack
Unfortunately, I think working around this is going to be a little tricky. I was thinking of just moving Dwarf Fortress etc. inside the PyLNP.app bundle, which solves the problem, but App Translocation still prevents the .app from writing inside its own bundle. So figuring out where to put saved games, etc. is a little tricky.

Thoth1972

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »

placing the folder on the desktop AND running the script got it working! Thanks so much I've been waiting for so long, can't play yet but I'll definitely be giving this a shot first chance I get

Thoth1972

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:44:08 am »

Now that the original newb pack has been updated, are we going to see a new release over here? Pardon my questioning just a little paranoid after the tragic loss of the Lazy MAc Pack

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:19 pm »

Sure, please file an issue at GitHub whenever a new release is needed, since I don't follow DF or the other packs too closely.

I did submit some patches to PyLNP to improve its functionality on Mac, so I hoped they would make a new release. So far that's not the case, though.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:08:52 pm »

I can't wait for an update!

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:40:09 am »

Update is out:

https://github.com/rgov/starter-pack/releases/tag/v0.44.12-r02-mac-alpha

Please let me know how it goes.

updated PyLNP to 0.13a
fixed Retina graphics in the launcher app
display an alert if Gatekeeper seems to be getting in the way

from @PeridexisErrant:
updated Dwarf Fortress
updated DFHack to 0.44.12-r1
updated TwbT to v6.53
updated Dwarf Therapist to v40.1.2
updated Legends Viewer to 1.19.09
updated graphics: Ironhand, Obsidian, Spacefox, Phoebus

beetlecat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:45:48 pm »

Awesome! Thanks for putting this together. I was just starting to look at running DF on my mac laptop--ideally to be able to share games back and forth with the Win10 machine.

Looking at the utilities directory though -- only legends browser and stonesense are present. is this due to a snafu with the starter pack upstream?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 06:03:52 am »

Works fine for me, no problems.

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 06:15:20 am »

Looking at the utilities directory though -- only legends browser and stonesense are present. is this due to a snafu with the starter pack upstream?

What utilities do you expect to be there that are missing?

beetlecat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:38:23 pm »

What utilities do you expect to be there that are missing?

The update notes indicated:

from @PeridexisErrant:
updated Dwarf Fortress
updated TwbT to v6.53

Maybe all of these aren't functional on mac?

Would certainly love Dwarf Therapist.

rgov

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 08:16:09 pm »

I agree. The builder script should have included these but did not. I’ll try to find time to rebuild in the next few days.

Thoth1972

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 12:09:21 am »

thank you so much your time and work is very much appreciated amongst us Mac users without comp sci knowledge

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 09:51:38 am »

updated Dwarf Fortress
updated TwbT to v6.53

Maybe all of these aren't functional on mac?
Of the ones you listed, only DT and Legends Viewer would be in the utilities folder in any case. The graphics sets are in some other folder, and DFHack and TWBT need to be in the DF folder.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: [1] 2