Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crippling fear of death  (Read 2434 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Crippling fear of death
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »

So within the past year, I've become overly concerned with my own mortality. I've never been spiritual(it just isn't my thing. I can't force myself to believe)but I've never really had much of a problem with death until lately. It's not like the 'usual' fear of death, either, it's crippling and comes at highly inopportune times. It doesn't matter what I am doing; if I'm enjoying a movie, walking around the block, trying to sleep, playing one of my favorite games or writing, I'll suddenly be overcome with the reminder that some day I'll never be able to do any of this again. In fact, it's gotten so bad that I nearly cancelled a maxillofacial surgery(and a very important one at that) out of fear of dying while under anesthesia.

I've heard the usual stuff and it doesn't help. Atheists/agnostics tell me "Don't worry, you won't know you're dead", and that makes me panic even more. Religious folk try to evangelize me, or remind me that there IS somewhere for me to go after I die, but I can't force myself to believe. I don't normally post on this section of the forum(I'm more of a lurker here than anything)but I'm getting pretty desperate. Hell, even the concept of becoming comfortable with my mortality is a little unsettling.

Any advice/comments/questions?
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Crippling fear of death
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:52 pm »

Had a crippling fear of death as a child. Would literally make myself physically sick thinking about it. I would cry when we drove past cemeteries. It was bad, man. I couldn't reconcile that the lights simply go out one day and that's it. No more consciousness.

I eventually came out of it. There was no one pronged approach to it. But here's what got me started down the path of acceptance that this all ends one day:

-Death can be a release from the pain of living. Maybe you're old and have cancer. Maybe you've watched everyone you know die and you're alone. Maybe you're just tired of the daily routine once you're good and old. Death is an escape from all that. It comes blessedly to some people. Some people die happy, having lived a full life and they're just.....ready to go. Simply knowing that death can be a blessing did a lot to assuage the anguish I felt knowing that I (and fucking everyone) dies.

-I got spiritual. I want to know what "it" means, if "it" means anything at all. I want to live another life as someone new, to do a better job than I did with this one and give them what strength and wisdom I acquired in life. I like to believe that at the end of the day, everything we are just reverts back to energy in the system and that brings me a great deal of peace. Even if it turns out I'm wrong about errything, like I'm going to a Hell I didn't believe in, judged by a God I didn't worship....it's still something greater than the sum total of my living experience, and I look forward one day to crossing the threshold. It's not called "the last great adventure" for nothing.

-My grandfather, a pastor for the latter half of his life, did not go easily. I'm told he was genuinely terrified on his death bed, despite his faith and conviction that he was headed for a better place. I don't want to be that when my time comes, assuming I even have a say in the matter. I want to go peacefully, with no regrets. I want to greet death with a smile, not a grimace or a wail. And by the time I am actually dead, well, things like embarrassment and shame are already behind me.

-This is perhaps the most important thing I learned though: you can't change it. You can't control it. You can fight it, try to dream it away, or ignore it until it's right on top of you, it doesn't matter. Much like the things we stress about in life that aren't worth stressing over because we have no control over traffic, asshole bosses or coworkers, the economy and all other things....death is at the top of the list for "shit you can't do anything about so why are you letting it bug you?" The fact death is bothering you might speak to some other actual problem you have with things you can't control, and death has crossed your awareness as the biggest and most obvious thing you can't do anything about.

-Channel your understanding that your life matters, even on the most basic personal level, into something useful or enjoyable. Learn. Get skilled. Reach a pinnacle. Explore. Live. Love. The knowledge of your own mortality can drive you into a fear-based life style if you let it. But the only fear that I think is worth letting motivate you is the fear you're not doing with your oh-so-very-finite life what you want to do with it. Whether that's being good at something, being popular, being worldly, being successful, rich, educated, or yes, even just getting to slack and have as much fun as possible, it's all a better use of your energy and literally your existence than living trapped by fear and dread.

-Personally, I made a friend of death and that made me a pretty morbid teenager. Not quite goth but not exactly the life of the party. That's not always a healthy thing either. Being obsessed with death doesn't make you very likeable or relatable to people, and may scare the shit out of some people. Depending on your age, people might view it as borderline something-they-need-to-intervene-in. Don't get sucked up in the question unless you're going to do something useful with it. Just brooding about the finality of it all and wearing black because colors are for people who don't realize they're already dead and saying "nothing matters anyways" in response to most questions is NOT the way to go.

I guess my biggest tip is: don't fear death. Learn to respect it. Learn to understand its place in the entire cycle of existence, how without death nothing could live because life is death, and death is life. You don't even need to be religious OR spiritual to appreciate this truth, you understand it via science or just basic, everyday observation.

When you can grok that death is as much a part of life as life is of death, and you can accept your place in the cycle, peace will come a little easier.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:00:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:06 pm »

-snip-
I very much appreciate this, thanks. I hadn't really been thinking about death as a potential release but with the health/psych condition(s) I have, it may turn out to be one. I don't necessarily think I can change it, per se, I'm just remaining reasonably optimistic that our medical tech might enable me to live a moderately extended life before I die. I'd like to get into a hobby or socialize more, too, but at my current juncture in life (about to graduate high school, without a car, and a general 'pariah' at school) those aren't likely to happen any time soon. I'm not a 'friend of death', but I do try to meditate on it sometimes and that helps. I'm curious whether anything lies beyond the threshold, but I firmly believe the chances of such are dubious at best(I do agree it'd be much better than nothing, whatever "it" is)

Apologies for the disorganized response, I'm scatterbrained right now cause I'm currently a little panicky.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:32 pm »

Or guess what's better? The belief that technology may one day make you immortal. Try that. There is actually nothing behind death. Nothing. You don't know anything, you don't see anything, you ARE nothing if you die. Close your eyes, and you see darkness. That's not nothingness. Nothingness is incomprehensible to human beings. Do you really want to risk being religious or spiritual when there is a large chance that there is nothing behind death?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:14 pm »

As opposed to dying without believing these things and.....what?

The nice part about death is that everyone's opinions are equally useless.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:53:07 pm »

As opposed to dying without believing these things and.....what?

The nice part about death is that everyone's opinions are equally useless.
As opposed to the possibility of living for 10^100 years because of medical advances. Very unnatural, but guess what else is very unnatural? Living past 30.

Then again, it's Mallos' choice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:19:16 pm by KittyTac »

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »

I'm somewhere between the two, really. I'm optimistic about life extension, and I'm faintly hopeful that there's anything but nothingness after death.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:30:58 pm »

I'm somewhere between the two, really. I'm optimistic about life extension, and I'm faintly hopeful that there's anything but nothingness after death.
The thing is, we have ZERO proof that there is anything after death, while life extension is considered possible by science. Do you really want to risk placing faith in that?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:46 pm »

Is using technology to prolong one's life and also believing that there is some sort of existence after death mutually exclusive?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:51 am »

Is using technology to prolong one's life and also believing that there is some sort of existence after death mutually exclusive?
While it isn't mutually exclusive, I'm trying to make Mallos an extreme atheistic materialist here.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 01:39:54 am »

...I'm trying to make Mallos an extreme atheistic materialist here.
Well at least you're honest about not being here for my consolation, but rather the affirmation of your own beliefs.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 02:01:35 am »

Honestly? 100% okay to have a crippling fear of death. I feel, in a sense, that it is an important part of consciousness--and what makes us human. If it truly is crippling, just... let it be. Think about it, wax philosophical, let your life experience color your view towards death. As an Atheist who doesn't think there is anything after death, I increasingly find it to be pretty okay. We're all just matter, interacting in interesting ways--in some form whatever it is that makes you you will not be lost (whether it's literally the subatomic particles that make up the varied elements your body is composed of, or some unknowable essence that your presence and influence have imbued on to the world, things, and people around you.) Also, nothing matters except what you want to matter and even if you were to live your entire life in a box, relatively unnoticed, you would still have a profound impact on the world--and when you die, that'll still be true. Sure, am I sad or perhaps melancholy about the end of my existence? Maybe, honestly, I might just be past that at this point, but the important thing is that I recognize that it is OKAY.

*EDIT: This is a really short, half-assed and incomplete summary of personal philosophy and views on death, so I apologize if it doesn't make a ton of sense--I'm always happy to elaborate.

That's just me though. A lot of people will offer you their opinions, others will try to entice you with colorful alternatives, or outright force their beliefs on you. If you're not already spiritual/religious, I can't say that it is a particularly healthy way of coping with your own mortality. BUT, really, you have to decide FOR YOURSELF what feels right. In a sense, your attitude towards death WILL affect the rest of your life, and it'll form the basis of a lot of what you might consider your hopes and dreams. These feelings can be positive, neutral, or negative. You might reach some interesting conclusions. But most importantly, you will discover what is important to you, and I think, indirectly, that brings a lot of relief from any sort of anxiety about dying.

It's late. I'm rambling a bit. But here are the points I want to communicate clearly.
1.) This thing you're feeling is okay, everyone feels it at some time.
2.) It is important to explore these feeling to their natural conclusion, and whatever you decide makes sense to you, whether it is all okay that you die, that it is NOT okay, and you are going to do something about it, or something else entirely, is entirely OKAY.
3.) It's complex. There's more to it than just dying or not dying. Like I touched on earlier, it's likely you'll discover a lot about yourself and what is truly important to you. Take your time and build a personal philosophy/worldview/system of morals and beliefs that make sense to you and reflect the truth of how you see the world.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:04:18 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:13 am »

The argument against spirituality is, at least for me: What if you are wrong? What if you wasted the possibility of technological immortality on some vague promise of a heaven? Do you really want to risk it? It is better to be cynical, but right rather than idealistic, but wrong.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:04:34 am by KittyTac »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 03:07:22 am »

It is better to be cynical, but right than idealistic, but wrong.

Purely just to understand your perspective better, please expound on this. Why is being right, by itself, objectively better?

Also I still don't understand how religious belief has anything to with the odds of technological immortality being invented, or being made available.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 03:36:32 am »

Purely just to understand your perspective better, please expound on this. Why is being right, by itself, objectively better?
Subjectively. I don't want to delude myself, even if the lies are comforting. I did not say that being right is objectively better.
Pages: [1] 2