Finally... > Life Advice

Third party liability?

(1/3) > >>

helmacon:
Recently, I had to purchase a money order at a local store.

They screwed it up. The order was voided, and I was told that the pending charge would be dropped from my account in 24 hours.

It was not. Within 24 hours the amount was charged to my account.

After a few days of dealing with people at the store, printing bank statements, and a lot of waiting for people, they paid me back the amount for the money order.

My question is this. I have incurred late fees on my rent because I did not have access to my funds to pay rent during that time. When I initially talked to a manager at the store, I was told that if they found that they did need to reimburse my money, they would take care of additional fees because of thier mistake. Today, when I received the original amount, the manager denied ever saying that, and they claimed that they were not liable for any additional fees I had incurred.

It seems to me that since they essentially took my money illegally, they are liable for the financial damages I have incurred because of that. Is that true?

I haven't been able to find legal documentation on the issue, but every bank website I have read states that they would be liable in a situation like that, and the existence of third party liability insurance indicates to me that there is likely legal precedent for that. Can someone more knowledgeable in the area inform me on that? Or if you aren't comfortable dispensing unofficial "legal consul" Which I suppose this could be considered, could you point me towards relevant documentation that I could look into myself?     

dragdeler:
-snip-

helmacon:
I did not receive any merchandise. It was a money order, not a product. The order was voided because of a mistake on their side, yet they still charged my account the money.

The money order was intended to be used to pay my rent for the month, since my apartment administration does not accept cash.. Because they charged the money, and I did not have access to it, I was unable to pay my rent at the appropriate time, and I incurred a late fee.

dragdeler:
-snip-

helmacon:
That.. I think you misunderstand.

I bought the money order from the store. A bank was not involved. The store fucked up the money order as they were trying to process my payment for it. It was voided and I received a receipt of it being voided before I left the store.

I later found that they had charged the amount to my account anyways.

Because they had charged this amount, and it took several days to sort this out, I did not have the money to pay my apartment complex for rent. I could not use that money to buy a money order somewhere else.

The late fee is between me and my apartment, the two main parties here. Because of the actions of the third party, (the store that fucked up my money order) I was unable to pay my rent and incurred a late fee. Thus, the responsibility of that fee lies with the third party because it was their mistake that led to that fee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version