Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the most stable version?  (Read 3225 times)

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the most stable version?
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:49:58 pm »

Hello, can someone please recommend me the most stable version of DF?
Last time I played (year ago), I had to drop the game after a week of gameplay due to multiple bugs (stockpiles not working, abnormally idle dwarves, etc). I really hope to avoid such experience in my next try...
And it's ok, if recently added features will be missing in that (old?) recommended version.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:55:05 pm by plenum »
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: the most stable version?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:53:41 pm »

Generally speaking, the newest minor version is your best bet, which is 0.44.11 right now.  Whenever Toady releases a new major version, that generally means a ton of things have changed and new bugs crop up as a result, but with minor releases the dev cycle is short enough that game breaking problems and crashes usually get fixed pretty quickly.

I haven't actually tried the newest version, but I haven't heard of many crash reports.  I think there may still be some issues with sending squads off on raids or other missions, but if those do cause crashes they're at least avoidable.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:00:37 am »

Thanks Telgin!
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:36 am »

44.11 is very stable. There are some possible corruption causing things going on in Adventurer, but there has always been something that messes up the occasional adventurer save since several versions back.

Raid crashes don't seem to occur any more, stress is happening but not too overwhelmingly. It'll be a month or so until 44.12 probably unless there's a quickfix for something serious coming (can't think of anything that can't wait right now).

Avoid 44.10. 'tis rather silly.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:46:25 am »

In my experience most of the "broken stockpiles and idle dwarves" type bugs are actually either user error, or perhaps it's fairer to say user inexperience-with-the-interface.  Folks here are generally pretty helpful and you're likely to get an experienced player to take a look and help you troubleshoot at it if you upload a save. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 05:37:14 am »

I'm not adding anything new to what the others have said, just bumping these thoughts...

44.11 is a good blend of old and new features and balance
...and...
when you see something funky occurring in your fort, ask forums/chatroom or search google/wiki, and you should quickly determine if it is an actual bug or something you did.

Don't forget that this is DF... your next scary invader may be killed by a kick to the head from your livestock or it may burn down your fort and kill most of your dwarfs.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 08:16:06 pm »

Oh, and now we have 44.12. All the goodness of 44.11 but with a few less bugs. And an offload thing which should be terrific news my highly populated worlds when playing with a longer history (my histfig numbers explode after a few hundred years. I'm happy to put up with the load times, that's the kind of world I want to play with, but stuttering lag was a pain).

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 12:36:49 am »

44.12 is probably the most stable one yet. 44.11 fixed some bugs that had been ingame for decades, and 44.12 fixes the bugfixes.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 02:11:58 am »

44.12 is probably the most stable one yet. 44.11 fixed some bugs that had been ingame for decades, and 44.12 fixes the bugfixes.
And a kind of promise to fix friendships before the Big Wait on the same day. Happy days to be a dorf fan.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 08:19:02 am »

I hope that if friendship is fixed in next version it will also fix the other kind of relationship (love, hate, grudges etc...).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:11 am »

I hope that if friendship is fixed in next version it will also fix the other kind of relationship (love, hate, grudges etc...).
What's wrong with those apart from the common issue of not enough targeted socialization to form them? I've never seen "hate", though. Does such a relation exist?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:00:11 am »

What's wrong with those apart from the common issue of not enough targeted socialization to form them? I've never seen "hate", though. Does such a relation exist?
That's pretty much it, but now with other fixes friendship matters again, as most dwarves will get very sad if they don't have any friends, which is hardly preventable. The same thing with family, which is why it would be nice if the dwarves fell in love/married more.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 11:43:14 am »

That's pretty much it, but now with other fixes friendship matters again, as most dwarves will get very sad if they don't have any friends, which is hardly preventable. The same thing with family, which is why it would be nice if the dwarves fell in love/married more.
I don't dispute that the system doesn't scale well, and I'm very happy Toady said he'd address it prior to the Big Wait. Thus, my question was if there was something in addition to that, rather than to say that the issues with the basic mechanism aren't important. Trying to make friends/lover/spouse through targeting and being with friends/family through targeting ought to address issues through a common mechanism (assuming Toady goes that route).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:53 pm »

What's wrong is exactly how the socialization is working in current version not allowing to form them as they should, leading the player to have to use more silly tricks in order to give more odds to socializing to happen.
So if friendship is fixed next release i hope the fix will affect the other relationship problems positively too.

I always thought the hate relationship existed (as the undead and etc... have a version of hate directed against living beings) for dwarves too, but after checking it's not there, looks like grudge is the only negative relationship for dwarves.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 02:46:04 pm »

So if friendship is fixed next release i hope the fix will affect the other relationship problems positively too.

I'm a bit confused.  Where did you pull this from, because I can't find a mention of Toady planning to work on it in the short-term?

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur
Pages: [1] 2