Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS  (Read 27800 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Sandbox strategy city builder/survival/"rpg": Stonehearth on KS
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:58 pm »

Cool. Does the building editor work better now? I remember having a bunch of issues actually making interesting buildings back when I tried it over the summer.

It's been functionally overhauled, multilevel buildings and stairs are in, scaffolds are much smarter, and in general construction AI is superior.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:17 pm »

Glad to hear it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »

Been a looong while since I played this so I fired it back up again. It's progressing quite nicely! Feels much more like a game now. There are a few early game progression things that I've seen, including some stuff about deciding what type of town you are going for which gives you some bonuses.

I'm on day 13, I have 12 colonists, and things seem to be going well. Building AI is a good bit smarter, and I've made a few custom buildings pretty easily. Nothing too fancy, but much easier to use overall than I remember. I was able to make a basic watch tower building without any trouble, so that's a good sign.

Playing on standard difficulty and so far it has been pretty easy to fend off everything with two footmen. Enemy variety has been pretty good, I've fought 6 different types of enemies so far. (rock monsters, wood monsters, wolves, skeletons, giant zombie, and goblins). Things have been slowly ramping up in difficulty, which gives me a focus for getting new equipment. Probably going to convert one footman into an archer now that they are both high enough level.

I also recently had some goblins show up and demand tribute. They attacked when I refused, but were pretty wimpy and easily fought off. But they have a camp on my map now, so that's a goal for later to drive them off.

Not all that far in yet, obviously, but other than whatever late-game challenges the game has I'd say the only thing that feels really lacking is any actual social connections amongst the townsfolk. They chat and have moods and whatnot, but there don't seem to be any actual relationships formed. Nor is there any sense of property ownership or anything. You can assign beds, but they won't claim them on their own nor do they claim houses or anything. No children yet either, though that's less of a big deal. I imagine that lack is a bit more noticeable as the town grows, though.

I'm also having issues canceling mining jobs, though that's just been a minor annoyance so far. But I do have a random set of channels dug out on the map where I clicked accidentally and couldn't remove the job. Which got me clay, so not a total waste of time I suppose.

Considering it's still very much in Alpha, I'm having fun with it!

Spoiler: My small settlement (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:17:07 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:01 pm »

In case anyone is interested in seeing a bit of what this game is like, I'm doing a text&picture LP of it.

We're going Dwarfy on this!
Come play Mafia with us!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2018, 06:28:01 pm »

Well, Stonehearth final release has been announced, and it's coming at the end of this month. After release they will keep only a skeleton crew to patch up and new bugs that crop up through the end of the year, and then support will end altogether. This move seems to be prompted by a significant part of the development crew wanting to move on to other projects.

The general consensus from fans who have followed development over the years is one of disappointment. The development of this game spent a long time to barely meet the minimum of what they promised in their Kickstarter, and none of what most fans hoped to eventually see beyond that.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2018, 11:04:17 am »

Hope they go open or semi-open then, so it can be picked up for fan development.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2018, 11:43:25 pm »

The mods seem to be fairly extensive, and the core game that I've seen up to this point has been pretty solid. I expect that it'll continue to be fleshed out as time goes by.

Probably not what everyone wanted, but I at least feel that I've gotten my money's worth. Never a bad result from a kickstarter, really.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]