Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anacreon: Fallen Worlds - A free browser based 4x... MMO?  (Read 5491 times)

Ranged66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anacreon: Fallen Worlds - A free browser based 4x... MMO?
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:54 am »

When browsing through reddit recently I stumbled upon an old game called Anacreon: Reconstruction 4021. After looking it up I discovered that the dev is working on a new version of the game, browser based and multiplayer. I've given it a try for about 4 days now and I must say it's interesting, eventhough it still has a long way to go. So I figured I'd share it here!

So what is it? Well, it has the following:

• A single huge map on the Era 4 server (Era 4 = latest game version) capable of supporting up to 1000 players
  • Persistent real-time gameplay. It doesn't pause when you exit because of the MMO-like nature of the game. However, the dev recently added siege-combat (yesterday, actually) when attacking player owned worlds, so you don't come back to everything being lost.
  • A resource system that feels very Star Ruler-like. Earthlike and Ocean worlds are best for Consumer Goods, food and products etc while some worlds are very rich in minerals and should be harvested for them. You then set up trade routes between those worlds so that you don't have a mineral world trying to grow its own food on its crappy soil, and don't have your mineral poor farmworld trying to scrape through dirt to make its products.
  • The combat isn't /that/ detailed, at least not early-ish game where I'm at, it's mostly "Who has the largest number of ships wins" with some exceptions. Jumpships with missile defence will be great at destroying missile based defences (obviously) without taking losses, while they would flunk against gun systems which is where the cruisers shine. Once you have defeated the fleet, your transports can swoop in and land their troops to assault the world.
  • The community, while small (about 10-15 active players, enough to keep the game interesting. But even without interacting with others it is fun enough to try and carve out your empire in the galaxy), is very active and helpful. There's a discord channel where players and even the dev himself sometimes will answer your questions.
There's a wiki with a bunch of info over at https://wiki.kronosaur.com/anacreon including some starter guides you should read. Some important stuff you really need to keep in mind:
  • Don't upgrade your homeworld to antimatter-level immediatly. It will demand a new resource which you only really start getting later on in the early game.
  • Don't switch your Doctrine immediatly. The default one starts you with a Jump Beacon and without it your ships can't move around the place.
  • Tradehubs are great, every world with a traderoute to it will start shipping its produce there upon which any other world that needs it will take it from there. It basically links your entire empire.
  • Your worlds can't import/export their goods until they have a Spaceport, which they can build at tech level 5 (Spacefaring). However, a world with a spaceport can import/export with planets that lack a spaceport in a reduced radius.

The graphics probably aren't for everybody though, so I took some pics of:

Combat: https://i.gyazo.com/44f6d22953d94b9b331ee8d1a9d302ef.jpg
My small but growing empire: https://i.gyazo.com/480af2c1a6fbc0261a2e3caa227758db.jpg
The galaxy map that I've explored so far: https://i.gyazo.com/9208d079616d0baf79d53448ed15e0a5.png

You can find the game at https://anacreon.kronosaur.com/
I'm curious to know what your opinions on this game are!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Anacreon: Fallen Worlds - A free browser based 4x... MMO?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:29:09 am »

Huh. So that's what the transcendence critter is doing nowadays?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 11:16:30 am »

ptw

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:05:44 pm »

It's fun, has potential. But development has been slow.

Worth a few moments of my time again I guess.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:27:22 pm »

Huh. So that's what the transcendence critter is doing nowadays?
Oh, so that's why the name sounds familiar. This used to be single player and turn based, but I remember the whole jump-ship vs starship thing was already in it.

Also, how do I get the combat view? I really misjudged an assault (thinking combat was numerical, rather than simulated) and don't want to make the same mistake again (or at least be entertained in the process)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »

Also, how do I get the combat view? I really misjudged an assault (thinking combat was numerical, rather than simulated) and don't want to make the same mistake again (or at least be entertained in the process)
Zoom in.  During combat a button will appear that will insta-zoom you to orbit view of the planet.

There are some guides but for early expansion target worlds that are protected by only missiles with a fleet made of ships with missile defenses.  If you have enough ships/defenses per ship then you can take out a worlds orbital defenses without any loss.  This is also true if you out range the defenses.  I'm pretty confident the large starship is still the longest range ship in game, and worth investing into early by designating a starship yard and factory early.

Also targets in order of early importance is Trillium sources and consumer goods.  The more of the things a world needs that it imports the more it can produce of it's designation.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 06:54:01 pm »

I used to love playing the old DOS version back in the day. This looks fun.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 10:13:02 pm »

Seems a bit buggy. I got worlds demanding Trillium, yet I have a Trillium extractor planet with hundreds of thousands of the stuff just sitting within the same trade network

edit: nevermind my mistake
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:31:34 pm by Android »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 10:31:46 pm »

Yeah, the trade network balancing is not smart. You probably have a second Trillium planet that produces much less, and it's trying to split demand equally between them. You can click the trade routes and manually adjust.

EDIT: Or just need to wait a few watches to let everything shake out.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:45 pm »

Stockpiles won't be moved through trade routes, only production.  The amount of resources to be moved takes time to calculate and will change each minute(watch) until it hits an equilibrium.  You can move stockpiles manually, though that can cause issues.

A large number of things you do take time to take effect.  The biggest one that isn't exactly obvious is efficiency on planets.  This changes the production output of the available workforce.  This takes a big drop each time a planet is conquered, it's designation is changed or a negative event (low supplies, low happiness, revolt, civil war).  A planet regains efficiency over time.

A high tech, un-inhabitable world with low efficiency can become a uncontrollable location for a long time as it gets stuck in a loop of civil wars when ever a player controls it.  This happens when a world has such a low efficiency, and to high of a static tech level and (even with imported resources) it dosen't meet it's need for life support items because it didn't calculate in the lower efficiency for the automated assignment of the production of life support materials.  Which causes negative events that lower efficiency that isn't calculated for when auto assigning work for life support items which yadda yadda yaddas.

This also can be caused by teching up a world prematurely,  though these self right a little better as they drop in tech after they civil war into independence. Which means they'll stop having issues because they won't demand things they can't supply.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:53:09 pm »

are trade hubs not able to send out TLs from a foundation?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:11:33 pm »

Nope, you need to have the planet import from the foundation.

Also, I'm playing, its interesting, lets see how far I can go.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 03:47:57 pm »

I have a neighbor called SpecInt.  Only players in the game?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:14 pm »

The only NPCs in game are the Mesophon (who you can sell/buy stuff from) and secession states.  Both these don't do anything actively and the server isn't old enough for someone to have had a sector capitol break away.

Edit: Just noticed 3 lightly defended ocean worlds that I kind of ignored.  They shall become the back bone of my new starship production, and a infantry academy, or a jumpship autofac, or another consumer goods world.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:23:08 pm by Shooer »

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 04:42:49 pm »

Looks interesting,
I've only got 3 other planets that I can see, and sending my explorers to them hasn't found any more planets. am I stuck or is there a way to send the explorers out to find other planets without seeing them? - it doesn't look like you can send explorers to space with nothing there.

I tried attacking one of the planets close, sent everything I had but my fleet got mostly wiped out. I had double the force but I guess I didn't have enough point defense.
Pages: [1] 2 3