Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with unknown frozen plant substances (resolved probably)  (Read 628 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello Dwarf Fortress modding community. I am currently working on a mod that turns the game into the grim and depressing world of Dark Souls, take a look: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13846

Anyway, there's a bug I've been unable to pin down recently. Essentially, there's a problem with a lot of items being made from an "unknown frozen plant substance" that the errorlog tells me nothing about. I'm aware that this is probably something to do with me messing up plant/tree raws, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I have been pouring over my raws but have been unable to find anything that is particularly out of place, leading me to believe that, as usual, it is some incredibly tiny mistake like a missing space, bracket, or something else equally infuriating, and so I'm hoping to "crowdsource" this issue by humbly asking other people to give my raws a look, on the off chance you find something that I have missed, though just general advice and guidance is also very much appreciated. Either way, thank you for taking the time to read this post.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:24:38 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with unknown frozen place substances
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:52:38 pm »

Here is my advice.

First, get dfhack if you don't have it already.

Second, load up a save with your mystery substance and select a frozen plant item with (t) or (k)

Third, type gui/gm-editor in console to look at the item's data structure.

Forth, go down to mat index - this is what the item is made of.  Also remember the ID of mat type, it will matter later.  Hit i to search for a type of object with the ID of mat index, type plant and select plant raw.  This will find the plant with that ID, and consequently tell you what your mysterious plant item is made of.

Go to material defs.  Find the type which has an ID that matches your item's mat type.  This is probably where your RAW error is.

Oh, and if you want to examine the data structure of the material definition directly (and look at things like names of the material in different states), go down and find the str_{type} corresponding to your material type while looking through material defs.  Find what the name of the material is (STRUCTURAL, SEED etc).  Hit esc twice to go back to the plant raws, go down to material (next to material defs) and find the material with the same ID.  That will let you examine the state names of your buggy material directly.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with unknown frozen place substances
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »

Here is my advice.

First, get dfhack if you don't have it already.

Second, load up a save with your mystery substance and select a frozen plant item with (t) or (k)

Third, type gui/gm-editor in console to look at the item's data structure.

Forth, go down to mat index - this is what the item is made of.  Also remember the ID of mat type, it will matter later.  Hit i to search for a type of object with the ID of mat index, type plant and select plant raw.  This will find the plant with that ID, and consequently tell you what your mysterious plant item is made of.

Go to material defs.  Find the type which has an ID that matches your item's mat type.  This is probably where your RAW error is.

Oh, and if you want to examine the data structure of the material definition directly (and look at things like names of the material in different states), go down and find the str_{type} corresponding to your material type while looking through material defs.  Find what the name of the material is (STRUCTURAL, SEED etc).  Hit esc twice to go back to the plant raws, go down to material (next to material defs) and find the material with the same ID.  That will let you examine the state names of your buggy material directly.

Thank you for the advice, but as it happens the solution seems to have presented itself. The person who originally alerted me to this issue had installed the mod improperly, resulting in a huge mess of duplicate raws. When installed properly (not dragging and dropping anything into anywhere, just playing it right out of the box, so to speak), it worked perfectly. Sorry to bother everyone, guess it wasn't a mess up on my end this time. I'll wait a bit longer for further responses though just on the off chance there actually is a problem.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2