Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Nokzamzatthud - Battlejudge - Retirement Plan  (Read 25140 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamzatthud - Battlejudge - Derailed plans. We Also need a motto.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 12:00:13 pm »

If it is were-beasts, then just let them infect all of your dwarves. Easy stat gains for your militia and less worry for combat :3. Just gotta worry about the occasional massacring dwarf.

Jokes aside, it'd be a treat if it turned out Nidor was a vampire or were-beast, would explain the recklessness.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 12:04:23 pm »

I have a good motto for you : "Autem inevitabilis"
It will go very well written in strong letters on your flags and banners

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 12:36:20 pm »

I have a good motto for you : "Autem inevitabilis"
It will go very well written in strong letters on your flags and banners

Care to translate it?

If it is were-beasts, then just let them infect all of your dwarves. Easy stat gains for your militia and less worry for combat :3. Just gotta worry about the occasional massacring dwarf.

Jokes aside, it'd be a treat if it turned out Nidor was a vampire or were-beast, would explain the recklessness.

Well I know he's lying about his actual name, as he has a spy/special profession, likely from a stint in the military as he had pre-existing combat skills. He also appears to worship most, if not all, of our deities, so I figure it can be chalked up to religious fervor. Plus he has a spouse, so he can't be either one.

In other news, baby was born, and we murdered a guy for an artifact steel bow. And robbed the elves.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 08:44:39 pm »

I would like a dwarf:
Name: Autz
sex: male
profession: scholar or bookkeeper or manager
Title: Great leader
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 09:19:46 pm »

Yaks.

Hoofed menace? Could be...skull-crushing.

Nidor is very optimistic, trying to ride undead yak in battle.

I wonder, does one work slower while laying down when two dwarves are in same workshop?

The translation would be "It was inevitable". Of course, dwarven language doesn't actually contain words "it", "was" or "inevitable", being a collection of nouns and adjectives. Closest would be either words for fate or destiny. ...I'm not sure that fits the ramsshackle group here, who seem to be mainly portrayed to care about not dying to undead and grand halls.

(The booze situation reminds me of this chapelcomic strip)

Steel bow is pretty useless with no ammo, though. Did you mod that in?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 09:49:33 pm »

@ Frames: Actually she caught a horn with her neck and went down. between her neck getting destroyed and her head getting bent 90 degrees, she wasn't gonna survive. To her credit, she did stay alive until she was brought to safety, but I had to throw her corpse outside in the jungle so she wouldn't reanimate (it was bad enough losing a friend, but getting attacked by her corpse would have probably wrecked Vucar and Asob.) Wasn't anything any amount of armor would have stopped, since the fatal wound was the torsion breaking her neck.

And I have no idea, didn't seem to impede either one.

Bah to the booze situation. 25 drunkards arrived so i put them to work gathering plants. Eventually we'll have enough to brew before the rest of these ingrates eat them (which they seem hellbent on doing.) And yes. I'm going grand in constructions since I can't go grand in furnishings.

And the bow it turns out, was a named weapon. Dunno where it came from though, since I don't recall giving humans access to steel in the version of DF like I did for the main project. But that's okay; I can buy ammo from the humans and steal it from the elves.

@ Auzewasright - I'll see if I can find you a suitable dwarf then. I made Fleeting Frames the Manager.

Just a note to everyone, posting is treated as a request for a dwarf that way you got a very tiny (and belligerent, life-hating apparently) horse int he race. Update coming tonight.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 10:00:22 pm »

If you want to dorf me, I'd really like to be dorfed as a human mercenary when you have those. If possible not too old, male or female doesn't matter and weapon doesn't matter either. But I'd really like a human :D

Also thanks fleeting for the translation, explaining my own jokes would have been really wierd

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 11:42:36 pm »

Can do Cathar! I'm sure we'll get a few mercs sooner or later. Might launch a raid against a minor retreat to rile the elves up, maybe steal some cattle.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 02:34:13 am »

1st Granite, 539

The dwarves mill about, doing thier daily duties. Nish has been trying, unsuccessfully at that, to get Sodel to harvest plants. Plans were also drawn up for small temples to Bomrek and Megob, nestled in behind double thick stone walls in the residential district; they have never been particularly popular deities, so small houses of worship were deemed sufficient. It was also here that Dorenr evealed the real reason for the obsidian: To carve statues of the gods, which Nidor approved whole heartedly of.

Mid-Granite

The horses seemed to know that bones were being gradually used up by Meng's near endless and obsessive carving. They looked up at Bearskie, and he was disturbed by the odd glares of a mare and her foal. He looked back to his block-splitting, and when he looked up, the two were in the process fo attacking an elephant!

By the time Asob and Vucar came, as the closest militamen, the foal was already down with a smashed leg. As they fell upon it, shattering bones and cleaving the skull of the pachyderm asunder, they knew the herd was bound to blunder into the horses again, and so took it upon themselves to hunt down the rest - a dangerous undertaking, but as Vucar noted: "We have real weapons now."

It was a three day long endeavor, with the herd slain to an elephant. And as they returned, they spied a human approaching from the north. A human bearing a legendary steel bow: Curuodiya, "The Tired Temple."

It mattered little if it was a true artifact to the dwarves. "It's dwarven steel, that's reason enough to kill this thief." Thikut argued. Nidor, Asob, and Kadol agreed.

"We wait and see." Vucar said sternly. He was the one in charge of the militia, and if this bowman was even half decent, at least one of them would get shot trying to take it by force, and he knew it. "If she's looking for work, we take up the elven art, because she'll be better qualified to teach us how to fight with bows."

"You're insane!" Thikut said, pointing at him accusingly. "You're a lunatic to think dwarves would fight like elves!"

"Men use bows too though." Kadol said, coming around to Vucar's argument. "Still, Steel's steel."

"We give her a chance. She tries to bolt with our steel, we put the infidel down." Nidor said, folding his arms.

Of course, later that night they found out what this "Organized Severty" was - A willow mug made by a legendary dwarf woodcrafter near 300 years ago - and the human had no plans to stay. This the militia could not allow. Lokum and Thikut were tasked with the dispatch, but the human was at least shrewed. She noticed two armed dwarves come in, weapons drawn, and swung around, drawing an arrow, readying it, and letting fly! Only to hit a puppy and kill it instantly. This turned out to be a poor life choice, as the dogs, which littered the tavern like refuse, swarmed her.

A strike to her back as she backed away from the dogs indicated just how bad her situation was. She got pushed back into the dogs, and grabbed from behind, the dwarf yanking her leg up, twisting her ankle violently as she did so, causing her to scream like a banshee as the archer's ankle snapped. It was over from here, as the dwarf in question, Thikut, delivered multiple heavy axe blows as the dogs snapped and bit at the human, who screamed and flailed and fought in a desperate, snarling rage against her attackers.

This rage paid off in a minute way as a pup clamped onto her arm and she managed to bash it in the head and throw it off, the blow twisting its neck and sending it skidding away, likely paralyzed and not long for this world. The bowman kicked and growled, and began to crawl for the visitor's rooms, when she felt her left knee shatter and metal ripping flesh: Lokum had finally gotten a clear swing, and took it, interrupted the human's attempted escape.

"You think you can steal from us and get away with it?" Thikut snarled as an axe blow finally overtook the many heavy leathers the human wore, destroying her leather scales. "NOBODY STEALS FROM THE DWARVES!" She bellowed, and brought her axe down with a final, chunky, thunk into the human's skull.

The elves who arrived shortly after saw the corpse being carted out, and Thikut simply asked them "I trust there'll be no objections about taking what's ours?"

One of the merchants simply stepped aside and gestured to their trade goods.

27th of Granite, 539: First child born in the fortress.

Could have been a better birth, as Rovod admitted herself. "The horses probably thought I was dying for a while, but here he is!" Rovod said, displaying the little boy proudly. "Your father's gonna be thrilled to meet you when he gets home little Rith!"

Migrants arrived in the waning hours of the day. They were greeted by Vucar and Lokum, and one of them was warmly jostled by the latter.

"Kivish! Good to see you my cousin!" He said, giving him a big hug.

"Oh, Lokum, you... You're here too..." He said half-heartedly. "Good to uh.... Good to see you."

"I'm more than here, I'm a member of the militia!" He said proudly, displaying himself with a wave of his wool cloak, showing off the shimmering, well maintained bronze. "Come, come, I'll show you around!"

Kivish turned to Vucar, face begging for help, and he simply shrugged and left him to be dragged away.

Other notables included Frames, and Administrator and his wife, and Multi a metal crafter and amateur hunter and his wife, a sapper confusingly also named Lokum. There was also Maskwolf, a wood burner who was quickly drafted and given a greathammer due to his impressive strength (much to the currently-single father's dismay,) and Talonis, the Legendary Bowyer who made Roomrubs, the Oder of Treason. There was also Morul and Zas, the former of whom had a needed sense of duty and ability to handle stress, the latter of whom's overinflated self-worth, compounded by having already killed a human to creat an artifact bone floodgate known as Toothvulture and an equal ability to deal with such made them ideal. Zas let slip as he arrived that he had once lived among the elves until the murder, and had been cast out.

There had also been Risen and Reg, a marksdwarf and axedwarf respectively, who had met in their time as soldiers elsewhere. Risen, among others in the 25 dwarf load in all, also meant that a troop of marksdwarves was due.

9th Slate, 539: First Artifact Built

It was a strange sensation. Urist looked at the bars in her arms. Bronze and silver. Commerce and war. Life and death. s she stared into the bronze bars at the top of the heap, she saw it. Amas in a blood red cloud, looming over the fortress, eyes glowing with otherwordly purple light, antlers bearing down upon the entrance...

She dropped the bars, all but one. She said nothing to anyone as she barreled through the dwarves around her to her forge, barricading herself in. Two days later, she emerged.

It was an unusual gauntlet, far too intricate to be of regular dwarven make, even for an artifact, and the detail among the fighting men and elves was astonishing! Right down to beards on the men, leaves in the helms of elven warriors. She went to Vucar with it, and held it out to him. "Take it." She said.

"Urist, there you are! We were worried you were going to go crazy in there." Vucar said with a great deal of relief. Last thing anyone wants is to watch their friend go crazy or havign to kill them if they go berserk and try to beat people with a misshapen lump of whatever material they were working.

"Take it."

"I... Are you sure?"

"You'll need it outside more than I will in my bedroom."

Vucar nodded and unfastened his old gauntlet, and slipped on the new one, marveling at how well it fit his beefy hand. As the pair went up, the saw three aggravated dwarves coming in. "FUCK NIDOR." Thikut said as Vucar opened his mouth to ask what had happened.

"I'm sorry?"

"We learned zombies don't die if you cut them in half." Asob said, helping a wheezing Lokum along. "Nidor cut one in half and it gored Lokum and knocked the wind out of him."

"Clearly it was powered by a darker spirit!" The Monk said in defense of himself.

"You are a giant, whirling tornado of failure Nidor." Thikut said as she went into the tavern, grumbling something about him not being able to kill zombies correctly. She also screamed so loud she could be heard outside when she realized that she'd left her mail shirt on the wagon while she got a new tunic.

It didn't help that Likot reported another heard of yak soon after. After the ensuing clash, they hoped the beasts would leave them for the foreseeable future. As Nidor had to be brought back in with a shattered knee.

And Thikut had to be brought back in on her shield.

According to the report given to Nish by Vucar, she had become surrounded when Asob was slow to join the group (needing to kill the yak head she'd torn off another zombie earlier that day,) and a yak had shoved Lokum away from her, forcing her to fight two alone. She managed to roll away after being fatally gored in the neck and trampled, Nidor tried to send her off with proper final rites in the field. "She's still trying to kill me with her glare!" was apparently his words when she grasped his axe pendant and threw it aside, apparently unwilling to accept her death by "unruly half-rotted cattle" - at least that's what the Colonel assumed since since that was all he could make out amid the curses she was hurling at Nidor for trying to do funeral rites on a living dwarf, and if he tried again she'd "take him with her when she really went." Sadly, she didn't remain long as they hurried her into the hospital and set her against a wall accross from Nidor so he wouldn't accost her.

To her credit, she indeed refused to die until they had brought her to safety, but the makeshift hospital found her soon dead, with a bloody note scribbled into it that said "IN WOODS, NOT MOUNTAIN"

Her body was quickly carted away where it wouldn't reanimate after her armor was removed.

Fath was amazed by her new room: Spacious, 4 blocks by five, furnished with a featherwood-framed bed with a mattress jammed full of Downey grass, a featherwood cabinet, and a chest with a small stock of items, which she presumed belonged to someone who had moved out, as several people had been shuffled around for "picking the wrong rooms." She had flopped onto her bed and let out a gratified sigh, only to be alerted by a knock on her door.

"Door's open!" The frankly elven-built dwarf said, and in came the rustling mail of Vucar, who had the bin under his arm.

"Evenin' ma'am." He said, making his way over to the bed. "I'm told you're someone who is a bit more of a thrill seeker."

"A bit sir, aye." She knew what was coming. Him opening the bin revealing a suit of bronze armor, an axe with dried blood, and a wood shield pitted by horn impacts. "Guess you're here to collect on the room, huh?"

"If you think you can handle it." The armored dwarf said with a nod.

Fath picked up the axe and gave it a swing. Satisifed, and visibly terrified, she turned and gave the Colonel a nod. "You can count on me Colonel. I'll do the fort proud. And I'll try not to catch any yak horns with my neck."

Vucar said nothing, simply saluting her and departing.

11th Hematite, 539

Humans arrived from the south, having evidently come up on a return trip for goods from the Brave Treaties. Unlike the elves, the dwarves welcomed them with open arms, and trotted out crates of goods. Why you may ask? Becaus unlike the elves, the humans brought things worth buying. Most importantly alcohol! It wasn't much, but it was something. Plus the guards killed a zombie, which the dwarves considered a bonus considering it was an eagle, and they were known for getting lost in fortresses on occasion while alive, nevermind being loud, squawking monsters actively seeking the blood of dwarves. There was also the human bard who joined the fortress, simply wanting to learn dwarven tavern songs. He was commended for his bravery.

28th Hematite, 539

The dwarves were getting excited: Word had come from the miners: The Temple has been carved out! Complete with small shrine rooms to honor all the divines!

Nidor was of course quite pleased, and voiced his approval multiple times, to the irritation of many, but the arrival of a group of migrants distracted everyone from his preaching. Odd thing was, there was a peasant who claimed to be the migrants' Great Leader, and he and his wife swiftly moved into what was intended to be the bookkeeper's quarters.

So, after being delayed by some... Private projects we'll say, here's an update to brighten your morning!

As you can see, we lost Thikut, but I found a suitable miller to replace her. We also have entire families arriving now, and the militia now has 9 members, as well as enough weaponry for a full squad of marksdwarves and most of a squad's worth of rangers to fill it with. Just need a volunteer to lead it, and another squad.

Said other squad is to be lead by a dwarf who will dual wield meathooks. I would love a volunteer for that. Why? Be cause crazy person wielding meathooks, that's why.

The temple is halfway done, we were dicks to elves, bought out a human caravan, got two migrant waves, and stole an artifact bow that belonged to some random human 300 some odd years ago that his descendant, who we murdered, only found 8 years ago. A few premptive dwarfings happened, and those who've asked or posted in the thread are now dwarfed and in play.

Another will come, but I got some work to do, so updates will probably come late in the night.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 03:17:27 am »

Dorf me as a migrant mechanic/weapon-smith, everything else is relatively unimportant.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 11:37:59 am »

Could i see my dwarf and his wife's description and just my dwarfs skills? And could we get an overview of the fort as well if possible?

I'll gladly volunteer Multi for dualhook Madman if no-one else wants it, seems like it could be an interesting life choice
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamzatthud - Battlejudge - First Loss. We Also need a motto.
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 07:26:31 pm »

@ Frames: Actually she caught a horn with her neck and went down. between her neck getting destroyed and her head getting bent 90 degrees, she wasn't gonna survive. To her credit, she did stay alive until she was brought to safety, but I had to throw her corpse outside in the jungle so she wouldn't reanimate (it was bad enough losing a friend, but getting attacked by her corpse would have probably wrecked Vucar and Asob.) Wasn't anything any amount of armor would have stopped, since the fatal wound was the torsion breaking her neck.

And I have no idea, didn't seem to impede either one.

Bah to the booze situation. 25 drunkards arrived so i put them to work gathering plants. Eventually we'll have enough to brew before the rest of these ingrates eat them (which they seem hellbent on doing.) And yes. I'm going grand in constructions since I can't go grand in furnishings.

And the bow it turns out, was a named weapon. Dunno where it came from though, since I don't recall giving humans access to steel in the version of DF like I did for the main project. But that's okay; I can buy ammo from the humans and steal it from the elves.

@ Auzewasright - I'll see if I can find you a suitable dwarf then. I made Fleeting Frames the Manager.
Well, force transfer ignoring armor is intended, yup. Feels like dwarves are naked, though, that's the kind of injuries it delivers.

Gameplay-wise, having bows be stronger but require traded for ammunition is a neat idea. Gives a sense of progression while making one depend on the world.

The manager - Hm, who's that? Nish? I'm not sure... Clearly too extroverted to represent me, though.

The horses seemed to know that bones were being gradually used up by Meng's near endless and obsessive carving. They looked up at Bearskie, and he was disturbed by the odd glares of a mare and her foal. He looked back to his block-splitting, and when he looked up, the two were in the process fo attacking an elephant!

More like dogs than horses. I wonder, what'd happen if you gave their tags to all wild animals.

Your choice to not tame elephants is an interesting one, though. An undead elephant factory could be quite the boon to wealth.

And yeah, that seems to be just a named weapon - one kill, no "highest quality" or even any quality, elven? name...
Might be not dwarven steel at all, due mods or otherwise, tbh.
You could get artifact steel bow in a strange mood, but then it'd say they're artifact. And regular bows are only made by human and elven civs. OTOH, steel is supp-hm.

I wonder if killing a creature made of steel would give the killers' civilization access to steel?

Poor combat AI, though little hope for one surrounded anyway.

"Oder of Treason" - typo?

The blatant ignoring of "family heirloom" or the like is pretty rich, though. Well, the bow was a family heirloom too, so there is symmetry.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 08:07:06 pm »

Could i see my dwarf and his wife's description and just my dwarfs skills? And could we get an overview of the fort as well if possible?

I'll gladly volunteer Multi for dualhook Madman if no-one else wants it, seems like it could be an interesting life choice

You presently seem content hunting elephants, unicorns, and anything else that wanders in. I'll get you some profiles shortly though.

@ Frames: Nah, nah. Nish is just the mayor and broker. Your dwarf arrived as a migrant with administration skill.

My choice for elephants being food rather than weapons or as a necrophant steak factory is more because of the following.

1. Undead Elephants would probably be nigh unkillable without a large army or lots of metal traps, neither of which I have (nor can I produce, due to my reliance on metal imports; I'm being extremely careful to only make bronze or iron when I need it to equip new recruits with.)
2. The amount of attention they'd need is attention I can't spare, simply because of all the shit four legendary craftsmen and two butchers are churning out.
3. My pastures are sufficient to tend horses without them bolting off to murder innocent pangolins (usually,) but I doubt they'd be sufficient for elephants.

As to armor, it was something nothing would have helped anyway, cause she took that hit right to the throat. Even without getting paralyzed she almost certainly would have bled out between the muscle ripping and major artery getting torn. Plus I'll be honest, only like... 3 out of 10 soldiers have leg armor, and it's all the great weapon users (who are receiving priority for armor because they have no shields to fall back on.) So Nidor's injury was inevitable and I'm shocked it took this long for use to have someone injured.

Bow: My theory is that dwarven immigrants grant access to steel similar to necromancers granting steel to their undead, and at least 4 of our migrants are former residents of the nearest human civ, which has a substantial minority of nearly 500 dwarves, only less than that because they migrated here. Still, an artifact is an artifact. This also confirms that dwarves can and will migrate from other non-dwarf civs to your forts, as Maskwolf's wife still lives in said human civ. This presumably means that if a civ falls, but still has former citizens absorbed into other civs, they'll abandon the surrogates to "come home" as it were.

And no typo there, the artifact is called The Oder of Treason. This is Dwarf Fortress, names tend to not make sense remember? :P

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 08:17:15 pm »

Ahah. Still no idea which one it is.

You can kill undead elephants by cave-ins or telefragging. Last can be even automated by having the parents chained, children wander into doom™, reanimate, then walk into a cage trap that is then taken to an elephant cage stockpile where they're moved to minecart for splitting into component parts.

(Though even just a starved corpse in a cage in a minecart would make the minecart a terrific weapon with its weight.)

I suppose you could pasture the elephants, but separating the children from parents will be a pain then.

Names tend to use words, though. I take it oder is a real english word? (3rd language)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:20 pm »

Apparently it is a typo, cause I could have sworn that was how Odor is spelled. Turns out Oder's a river in central Europe, so I learned something new today!

Spoiler: 4maskwolf's dorf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TalonisWolf's dorf (click to show/hide)
For some reason, he insists on using an infantrydorf's great axe to chop trees with. Meng's too busy to cut trees.

Spoiler: Nidor's dorf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Darkening Kaos's dorf (click to show/hide)
Made you a migrant armorer instead, hope that's cool. Legendary one. :D

Spoiler: auzewasright's dorf (click to show/hide)
The Great Leader, currently a peasant, but I needed a bookkeeper anyways.

Spoiler: Bearskie's dorf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fleeting Frames' dorf (click to show/hide)

In other news, some soldiers passed through carrying an artifact scepter. Too well equipped for me to take it by force unfortunately.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10