Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Nokzamzatthud - Battlejudge - Retirement Plan  (Read 25155 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Nokzamzatthud - Battlejudge - First Loss. We Also need a motto.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 03:49:51 am »

Call him/her Speciesunkn0wn. :P

Species it is.

Alright, so I was busy working on some commissions all night, so update is delayed. Will put something togather when I wake up. Casualties consist of Maskwolf's leg injury, and an herbalist who got shot in the thigh. We're up 5 artifacts counting an artifact mug Maskwolf's daughter made.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 05:02:25 pm »

Midsummer, 539. Nish holds a speech in the tavern, thanking everyone for electing her Mayor.

[NOTE: If someone wants to write up a speech, I'll happily copy and paste it in here.]

While the Mayoral rooms were dug, only a bed was ready. However, Onol organized the engraving squad and they quickly set about smoothing the rooms out. And Nish's first act as mayor was dispatching Vucar to kill a number of skeletal chinchillas, as a show that under her mayorship, the dwarves of Battlejudge would be safe.

On top of this, she made a suggestion that the Militia assemble and hunt the elephants that had once again wandered into the area. Given he had several green recruits, Vucar was reluctant, but Nish was Mayor, and as such, her word was law until the nobility established itself here. And besides, they were a hazard to their rather belligerent livestock. The hunt would happen the following morning. It's strange, when he thought about it. They were terrified of these things due to the old legend of Boatmurdered, but perhaps looking back that was just the results of stupidity and poor equipment.

The trio of hunters lead by Multi, quivers laden with exceptional featherwood training bolts, made him stop and stare.

Definitely stupidity. Had to be.

Autumn arrived quietly, with Maskwolf earning the rank of novice Hammerdwarf from his actions against the tusked menace. And several iguanas. And an Armadillo. Nobody has managed to find out what exactly made him bludgeon the two iguanas and an armadillo with his hammer.

The only things of note was a bard being hired to work the tavern as a performer, and the arrival of several dwarf soldiers, searching for a legendary earring. Nish couldn't help them, telling them that all she knew is that Elven nobles used earrings as symbols of office, so perhaps among them would be a good option.

Nidor was behaving strangely since communing with several of the gods. Peculiar... Secretive even. He seized the bone cutter station and took wood, leather, and gems both cut and not, and set to work. After about hree days of effort, he emerged with an axe! Sadly it was one sized for a child, though he claimed the gods sent his ancestor to him in his sobriety to guide his hand in its creation.

This was punctuated by yet more soldiers looking for artifacts, which began to unnerve the militia, and a group of migrants, who brought the burgeoning fortress' numbers up to 74, including the three resident bards and the many children that hopeful parents brought with them. Several proved fitting militia candidates, being mentally hardy sorts and reasonably quick or strong. And many rangers also came, hearing stories of "The dwarves who hunt elephants."

The kitchen opened, as did the still, and there was much rejoicing! The first product was a number of stuffed roasts, with the main component being yak sweetbread, meaty stews with unicorn eyes, and skewered roasts of giant macaque.

There was also an announcement to the militia: New uniforms were being made and would be issued once sufficient greaves had been produced. And to that end, ore was no longer being preserved. A second announcement was also made: Once the militia was equipped, the squad would train one season out of the year, every spring.

Winter came and crept in as work orders were issued, and the "Great Leader" became a ubiquitous sight in the various stockpiles, and even accosted travelers, demanding to know what they were carrying "for reference." A golden statue was casted and placed in its notch in the temple's central hall, while masterworks were churned out by the armful. One such item prompted Nish to ask why Kaos hadn't worked the Steel they had into suitable armor, and to her surprise, she stated she wanted a private forge to do such delicate work in, similar to what Urist had. As such, Nish promised her a proper workplace to call her own, on the condition she put her masterful skills to use outfitting Vucar, as commander of the militia, in her finest work.

A number of new beards also joined the fortress internally, including one to Multi and his wife.

Late Winter, 539

[OOC: I KNEW IT, I FUCKING KNEW IT!!!! I KNEW ONE WAS GONNA COME EVENTUALLY, THEY ALWAYS DO!! UNLEASH THE HORSES!!!!]

[HORSES: MOSTLY MAULED. GECKO: STOMPED INTO SHIT BY ANGRY BLOOD HUNGRY HORSES. ALL WILL FEAR THE DWARVEN MURDERHORSE.]

"Keas! There's Keas outside!" Multi bellowed from the butchery. "Someone call the militia!" The call went out: Undead in the hills, and the skies. Those on the ground were now a mere nuisance. Those in the sky? A creation of the devils themselves. Thieving, vile beings. The worst sort of fucking parrot. And undead ones were worse, for no amount of shouting and waving deterred them from stealing mail, sword, or even anvil. The militia mustered.

Morul and Species were the first into position, and first to be sighted by the thieving green magpies! Morul made the first move, swatting the kea into the ground with all his might!

The proceeded to try and snap at him with a beak that was poking out of a caved in hole in the top of its torso, which understandably lead to Morul screaming like a small child and whacking the thing into the air as hard as he could. Thankfully, when he hit it a third time, it remained still. A second swooped down, and now in a perpetual screech of terror, Morul bashed it away and chased it as it bounced along the ground, and caved its head, silencing the green menace as well. His screaming and hammer flailing unnerved Species who wasn't much help. Nidor however...

Was used to such nightmarish beasts, and dispatched one as it swooped low with a single swing! The remaining ones dove as well, striking at Fath and Species, but were no match! As they returned, dispatching a wombat corpse and crushing the reanimated head of the undead kingsnake, there was a report from one of Multi's hunters of Elephants in the area. Their arrival coincided with the madness of one of Maskwolf's children, who was possed by some spirit or another. Nidor claimed it to be the work of the gods, while most, considering her babbling about something in old dwarven, seemed to indicate something less divine. A possession by Thikut's spirit perhaps, trying to leave something to the fortress for interring her in a dolomite mausoleum?

However, as the child set to work - and the militia set out to slaughter the hated pachyderm before it riled up the war herd and forced their hand anyway - a band of mercenaries arrived. What they wanted was unknown, though they bore several artifacts: Lodpos, the Quartzite scepter, Carenieremo, a legendary (though not in the workmanship sense,) scythe that slew a feared werebeast, Ondilinrom, a legendary commemorative mug, and Fushurubal, a legendary towercap scepter.

They were not particularly well armed either, equipped with a mixture of weighted shepherd crooks, a single greathammer, a crossbow, a rope with nails, a wooden spear, a sapper's entrenchment tool, and bare hands. But it would need to be considered without Maskwolf, who had his knee broken by the trunk of an elephant, though thankfully he didn't pass out until after [name] had caved its head in with his sledgehammer. Upon sighting the treasures the explorers had however, the militia quickly drew up a plan: They would bring several dogs and the weregecko slayer Osharreg the Battlehorse into the tavern, and lock the door once the militia was position inside.

Then they would attack, slaying the artifact hunters and claiming their treasures for the fortress.

They hadn't noticed at first. Dwarf fortresses always had animals running amok. What did they care if a bunch of dogs and a horse were in the tavern? They didn't notice the soldiers. They had seen the barracks outside, and saw the elephant hunt. Clearly they were just coming in for a refill of their flasks.

"NOW!" Vucar bellowed as the milita attacked.

The goblin, who had introduced herself as Puja, fell first. A blow from a flail to the back of her head. The dogs snarled, the horse charged. Togi fell next while a dwarf named Ushat was struck in the stomach as she tried to stand with a massive hammer. A human named Togi was allegedly the best fighter among them, and that dwarf with the greatsword killed her in three swings. And the horse... It seemed to be filled with unnatural rage. Few had ever seen a horse do what it did. It crushed a dwarf's head with its teeth, and fatally kicked another in the head the same minute. Dakost tried to flee, only to be swarmed by civilians who pulled him down and left him open to a spiked ball crashing into his head from the end of a chain.

Stinthad, the group's marksdwarf, had excused himself to the temples, and so died deep in the fortress while visiting the temple, though he managed to shoot Sodel the gatherer before he went. Alath meanwhile was attacked by the horses outside, and drowned in a pond. The fight was actually quite quick and brutal, and there were no apologies to Inod, whose Nephew was the dwarf lasher kicked in the head. The bodies were quickly carted out, though the goblin and one of the humans reanimated and had to be reslain by a motley band of bards and dancers, as well as a few dogs, as the militia had to go into the fortress depths to kill the marksdwarf.

Four artifacts for the price of a non-permant bolt wound to a plant gatherer? A fair trade any day of the week. And technically, this was five artifacts, as shortly after, Maskwolf's daughter emerged from her work station with a gypsum device in hand!

"Don't worry about the dwarves, we'll bury them accordingly." Vucar said to the emotionally shocked Inod.

"Don't talk to me Vucar." He said as he got up and went out of the tavern.

Vucar followed, and grabbed him by the shoulder. "Inod, we-"

"You killed my nephew for a cup. Don't talk to me Vucar."

"....T'be fair, we've killed on the same grounds before for more useful things." Inod didn't care for thos and threw a cup of water in Vucar's face as he departed.

Late spring, 540

"So, how's Inod doing?" Vucar said as he took a seat beside Nish one night in the tavern.

Nish shrugged and took a sip of her wine before answering. "He's... Well, he's still stressed, and the bodies that nobody felt like moving alarmed him, but I think he'll be okay soon enough. Told him not to haul anything and to tak time off from engraving to visit the temple, maybe take up pottery to fill his crafting itch. How's about Nidor?"

"Well, between work and training he hasn't been able to go to temple, or spend much time with his wife. But he loves teaching, and more annoyingly, preaching. He's able to proselytize his little heart out and he's enjoying teaching others how to fight. Bet he'd have been a military scientist if he hadn't become a crusading monk." Vucar took out his gold flask and took a swig of some of the last alcohol in the fortress. "Damn, empty..." He mumbled after only two glugs.

"So why did you do it, Vucar?" Nish asked, staring at her elephant roast.

"Because." He said quietly, a look of grim portent in his eyes as he turned to her. "We're here to start a war aren't we?" He finished, holding up a scroll box addressed to Nish.

"HOW-" Nish quickly stopped herself and lowered her voice to a hiss. "How did you get this!?"

"Caravan master from up north dropped it on the ramp outside the gate. Thought it was just some regular news." He then handed it over to the mayor, who quickly snapped it up and shocked it under her shirt. "My men deserved to know, Nish."

"But-"

"No buts. We're honest soldiers, and if the crown wants a war, we'll get it a war. That's why we killed them. The more treasures we hoard, the more enemies Battlejudge makes."

Nish said nothing.

"Find us a target on the map, Nish. We'll hit the elves in two years. Should give me and Nidor time to shape the others up into proper fighting dwarves" Vucar departed after that, leaving the stunned mayor in silence amid the music and dancing of the tavern and its rotation of patrons.

"Honest soldiers, he says..." Nish mumbled to herself. Who could possibly say that after seeing this Letter? "Not gonna be much better than bandits before too long and you know it Vucar."

Okay! So we're into the summer of 540. Things of note wer murdering a band of treasure hunters the militia getting (more or less) fully outfitted, and the temple itself is finished aside from two minor shrines, because our masons failed to follow basic instructions and wasted obsidian on random dwarves instead of the gods Doren and Etur. We're up five artifacts, murdered at least four citizens of the Abbey of Equity (evidently you can do that if they're acting under a different civ.) and now have a slowly growing cemetery out front because of it, as well as a growing heap of cartilage, birds, and others.

I'm thinking we'll slowly swallow our chunk of jungle with a slowly growing dolomite necropolis, with the visages of the dead glaring at wilderness around them on top of their tombs.

I've also got a museum almost ready to open, just need a potash maker and glass maker to start making clear glass bpxes for displays of our treasures. There was also the weregecko which the horses absolutely brutalized before Fath (the nearest fighter) could even reach the beast. We basically have a wall of hooves and muscles in front of any possible intruders. I'm also looking through legends for a nice low population settlement to sack, and I might draft the hunters as cattle rustlers (which Multi, as named dorf, would be leading.) Being eever more effective ambushers means they'll probably be able to lift all sorts of critters from the forest retreats before they catch on. Speaking of which I have 4 prospective militiadorfs waiting for a suitable lunatic to lead them to war, and one spot left open in the main unit.

I'm also open to named for our squads, and for the coming library, for which I have designated the space for due to complaints of lack of abstract thinking from people. I've also assigned a dedicated performer in the only resident expert ugog and rimtar player, which amounts to being an odd combination of being an expert bagpipe player and guitarist apparently, if anyone wants that.

Not my best writing, but still. Got it up! Sorry about the delays!

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 08:07:00 pm »

Gonna be making a diary entry for Multi here soon, quick clarification before i do, Multi leads a militia squad full of rangers or am i mis-reading?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 08:13:46 pm »

He doesn't yet, but he's one of the better ambushers so once I have 10 legendary ambushers (should be noted, you and your fellow rangers' inept ammo choice has lead to impressive skill gains while attacking elephants as well,) I'm gonna form'em up and have them act as cattle rustlers since they should easily be able to ghost the elves and steal thier livestock in crazy amounts.

Which we'll swiftly sell or eat.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:47 pm »

Multi's Diary - Entry 1

Alright well, th' wife wanted me ta start writin' in one o' these, says it helps gets our minds off o' things an' t' be frank with ye, I need t' get me mind off o' everythin' thas happenin' lately. 'm an old dwarf, one with a history. Kicked out o' 3 other places fer reasons I ain't gon' put down on paper, 'specially in a place where anyone can read 'em. Long story short, lots o' fights, lots o' hidin', an' a lot of stealin', all ta keep alive ta live to th' next day.

'm a survivor, an' 'll fight if I hafta, but if I can survive without havin ta, or by doin' somethin' else like ambushin' or sabotagin' or stealin', then yer damn right i'mma do it. I've told the head o' this place i'm willin' ta do it for this here fort too, if they can get me dwarves with skills that would be useful doin' it with. I ain't the most read person out there, thankfully the wife's been teaching me since we met in the last fort, managed to get married and have 2 kids with 1 on the way before they found out I was pilferin' ta keep us all fed. Though in my opinion I think they just did it to get the wife outta there, she's the sweetest cup o' raspberry wine don't get me wrong, but threaten her or anyone she cares about and she becomes a demon, scares the shite outta me if i'm bein' truthful.

This place feels different though, I get a feelin' that it's my last stop, not gonna be goin' anywhere else from here on out, means i'll die here and ta the sweet merciful gods I follow i'm hopin' its either by age or by wife, and not by some attackers or the people livin' here. The last 3 forts I went ta had a madman on every other corner, made me think I was a madman too, who knows, maybe I am, but for now I ain't and that's good enough for me. Thas enough for a first write, wife's callin me fer dinner, says there's actually cooked food instead o' just raw plants, I don't mind if it ain't, I love me some bloated tubers, but a dwarf needs variety in his palit- pale- pall- food pyramid.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:01 pm »

For a squad name, how about The Starlight Foundation?
  Reasons: The Starlight Foundation is a children's support group for kids in hospital, etc.  Also, our most famous cattle rustler was Captain Starlight.  I'm imagining sending out a group of volunteers to collect money for the children stolen by goblins and worse, and once the heavily armed group find something worth stealing, they make off with it and return home.

Or Billy's Kids - USA's most successful cattle rustler, but I can't think of a 'cover story' for them being out causing mischief.  (Like we really need a reason, but it is good for RP).
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 01:15:25 am »

I just wanna say I love the fact that your first thought was to use a children's foundation as a cover for grand larceny (essentially.) It's delightful.  :P

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:46 am »

Yay! I have kills! :D

How do you find where the roasts and crap are? I really want to see what my dwarves are cooking, but the stocks menu doesn't let me see stuff...
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 01:22:08 am »

You have to use the look k(default is k) and hover over the meal stack (or the barrel they're in, hit enter, and then the meal stack.) nothing special for descriptions, but you get some interesting combinations. Like mushrooms, syrup, and eyeballs.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2018, 01:45:23 am »

I just wanna say I love the fact that your first thought was to use a children's foundation as a cover for grand larceny (essentially.) It's delightful.  :P

Standard for anything associated with DF ... you take something inoffensive and use it for nefarious purposes ... actually, I like that name too, "Nefarious Purposes"
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2018, 02:22:35 am »

Just as a head up, may not be an update today. Got lotsa work to do on several drawings.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 02:33:12 am »

Just a little bump post, I got some free time to work on the fort this weekend, so I figure I'll put this forward: Which style of writing do you guys prefer? Journals or the more narrative-y way?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 02:47:27 am »

I like the narrative type interspersed with screenshots.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 06:07:59 am »

Just a little bump post, I got some free time to work on the fort this weekend, so I figure I'll put this forward: Which style of writing do you guys prefer? Journals or the more narrative-y way?

Well, either way could work really, as in i like both. Cause if you do Journal's, you can start leading story and the like when you want/need to, and allows you to RP more as well. Doing it narratively makes it easier on you on updates and their format, alongside making it so that we have all the info we need to make our own journals.

So i say, why not both? When you need to Update, then do it narratively so that we can make relevant diary/journal entries, and whenever you have free time make a Journal entry for any characters you think are important enough to warrant one.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2018, 06:51:33 am »

Well I ask because I was able to do a pretty good job of it in Riverrun. It's just a matter of one being easier to do - and thus faster. Plus without dates the narrative format does leave something to be desired on times that things take place. Hell, the last couple updates a year zipped by in each.

But two of the three vocal folks say narrative, so narrative it shall be! Once I finish this last commission and finish unfucking my mods. Making a mace out of lead-cored steel works better when you actually remember to put in the file with the materials, among other things.

EDIT: There's just so much irony in the fact the elves are battling a human civ that has a tree as its symbol.

EDIT II: And now there's a zombie elephant that's stomped a hunter to death and killed a dog.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10