Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Exodus from Vlanlados  (Read 26743 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Exodus from Vlanlados
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:41:30 pm »

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

It is July, of 1944. In this part of the world, south of the equator, it is the dead of winter and the days are dark. Your home, Vlanlados, lies in ruins. Just months ago you learned that nearly all the stone structures in your city were made of uranium-bearing stone, which explains the incredibly high rate of tumors and birth defects, and the population has abandoned the city and has been living in camps. Shortly after the invaders came. Forenia and Cannala, much larger and more technically advanced nations than yourselves, fought for the uranium here. Cannala is now occupying the country. There is nothing left for you here- no land, no safety, no homes, dwindling food.

It is time to leave.

EXODUS FROM VLANLADOS

Your leader, the Katzar, is Ovechkin Sundqvist Grigorievich, played by PirateJoe. Though aging, and wheelchair-bound, he is a strong leader who has brought Vlanlados through many hardships, turning Vlanlados from little more than a large trapping station to a nation with a city, stone buildings (although in retrospect those weren't so great), and even a factory. Ovechkin, ever the silver tongue, has negotiated with the occupying Cannalans for a way out of Vlanlados. He has an insane plan- to colonize Antarctica! With the war at its height, who's going to stop you? In exchange for allowing Cannala free reign over the land of Vlanlados itself as a protectorate, they have given Ovechkin a ship, the CNS Crabby Wench. The Crabby Wench is a Kraken-C cargo ship, a design which was converted from what was originally a combat ship to support Cannala's cargo needs. She was built in 1919 and has been on a low-maintenance, rush-transport schedule ever since, so she's seen better days. Additionally, [1d6:2] Ovechkin somehow managed to make a deal with a Forenian engineer to help refit the ship for additional cargo space, but he had to leave in a hurry before the Cannalans inspected the ship.

Altogether, the ship will hold 1000 people, men and women who will colonize Antarctica to form New Vlanlados. You are these people, and you will make some of the decisions which determine whether this mad plan succeeds or fails. Among your 1000 people are 10 experts. Each of them provides a useful skill which others can't perform, or helps ordinary people carry out tasks more efficiently. You have:
Spoiler: Population (click to show/hide)
There are many other people in Vlanlados, who cannot fit on the ship. Most of them have agreed to be integrated into Cannala, the nation currently occupying Vlanlados, but the rumor is that Cannala wants to force them into hard labor with little to no pay. Perhaps if this "New Vlanlados" experiment is successful, they will come to join you in time.

Katzar Ovechkin has also made deals for cargo. He's brought large amounts of food, tools, and some steam powered machinery, purchased from Crazy Jose's Used Equipment. Nearly half the space is filled with Ovechkin's most prized possessions: stolen Forenian equipment including a large steel furnace, and all the machinery for a small factory including lathes, steel-stamping presses, drills, grinders, and more, which previously occupied Vlanlados' only factory. All the space on the ship not used as bunks and critical work space has been stuffed full of goods, including the extra cargo space rush-engineered by the Forenian agent. A complete cargo manifest follows:
Spoiler: Cargo (click to show/hide)

The Time is Nigh(t)
It is July 28th, 6PM and growing dark fast. Over the previous weeks you have busied yourselves with the labor of gathering supplies and making ready for the journey. The journey should take about a week, assuming there's no delays, and depending on where exactly you land. Katzar Ovechkin, who has already taken to living in his cabin aboard the Crabby Wench, plans to set out tomorrow morning, as soon as the very last of preparations are done. Then, you hear air raid sirens. The Forenians are coming! Any minute they'll start bombing Cannalan positions- and the CNS Crabby Wench still bears Cannalan colors. You're not even sure if they care about collateral damage, for that matter. If you want to avoid danger, you need to leave- NOW. However, some people are still carrying out tasks on the island, they will be left behind. You don't have time to find out who exactly. If you stay overnight you can guarantee everyone gets aboard, but the ship may suffer damage.

Decision Making
You (any forum member) may vote whether to leave early, or to stay. However the Katzar (played by PirateJoe) has veto rights on votes, so you may have to convince him why your choice is better rather than just voting. Later in the game you may be able to appoint a new leader or otherwise reduce his power, but there's no time for that now- Ovechkin is respected by everyone and in an emergency like this, his word is most important.

Will you stay overnight so that nobody is left behind, but risk being attacked? Or, will you leave now to ensure your safety, but leave some people ashore?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:43:15 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exodus from Vlanlados
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 07:57:28 pm »

Leave now, we can come back and get replacement people.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 08:45:38 pm »

You know, I really wish I had a spare flag to replace the Cannalan one for times like this... but this is quite a unfortunate situation to be in. If we leave now we have no clue how many we will leave behind, and could lose a few experts along with others, however we will have less mouths to feed and they can come back to us if we are successful. I'll not force a decision yet however as I don't want to be too controlling but I will say I'm leaning towards leaving.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:53:09 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:20 pm »

Damn cowards!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:57 pm »

I dunno how Vlanlados does things, but I'm not inclined to leave a man behind.  It strikes me as very...cowardly.

Plus, how perfect would it be if the people who haven't gotten on-board are the ten experts who can set our gear up?  We're condemning our people to essential slavery if we leave them behind.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:54:24 pm »

Seems interesting.

Let's make sure we get everyone.

I know nothing about what's going on in the main game, but is it possible that if we're successful in this, that we could actually become moderately powerful and be able to at least see some success in defending our home from the primary factions?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:43:03 am »

I know nothing about what's going on in the main game, but is it possible that if we're successful in this, that we could actually become moderately powerful and be able to at least see some success in defending our home from the primary factions?
I will be honest: The odds are against you. Surviving in Antarctica is not easy, and becoming prosperous there will be even harder. Some even say this is a madman's idea. There are those who would do you harm. But, if you somehow get established, you can at least know that it's unlikely the larger factions will come all the way to Antarctica just to beat on you, and you will have the home ground advantage in an extremely hostile environment.

Quote from: Votes
Stay: (3) Kot, evictedSaint, Glass
Leave: (2) MonkeyMarkMario, Katzar PirateJoe
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:32:36 am »

I was not actually voting to leave, just stating possible advantages and disadvantages that were on the top of my head at the time. At this point I think I'm more leaning to stay than leave...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 04:35:46 am »

I vote that we stay, leave no man behind.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 08:19:35 am »

Same, Stay. Also, make sure our cargo is fine overnight.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 09:01:19 am »

Yup, we should stay. Not like the Forenians are going to invade in the evening anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 09:10:03 am »

And cannalans... are not exactly accurate shooters by any stretch. Nor do they have anything that's likely to be encountered that can't be dealt with by an AT rifle too
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 09:32:39 am »

What is this thing about leave no man behind? I thought this game was about Vlanladosians, not men.

Regardless, I'll be watching and later playing. Not voting on this issue however, I would need to know who we would be losing by leaving to make a decision.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 10:01:02 am »

Quote from: Votes
Stay: (4) Kot, evictedSaint, Glass, NAV
Leave: (2) MonkeyMarkMario, Katzar PirateJoe

Leave no one behind
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26