Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Exodus from Vlanlados  (Read 27118 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Exodus from Vlanlados
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 11:23:11 am »

Quote from: Votes
Stay: (4) Kot, evictedSaint, Glass, NAV
Leave: (1) MonkeyMarkMario

Leave no one behind
Again, not actually voting to leave.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 12:06:05 pm »

Stay: (5) Kot, evictedSaint, Glass, NAV, Madman

We should stay so we don't lose anyone important. Also to maybe save PJ's reputation for being the most terrible person in the Archipelago. Though that might be beyond saving at this point, it ought to be hilarious to try.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 12:22:13 pm »

Stay: (6) Kot, evictedSaint, Glass, NAV, Madman, Urist

We do not abandon our countrymen. Ever.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 12:29:40 am »

"We do not abandon our countrymen. Ever."

The decision is made: The Crabby Wench will remain in port, and you will weather the attack. Ovechkin orders everyone below decks. There's little to do but pray for the best. Throughout the night the sounds of gunfire and bombs echo against the hull, but it seems like the Forenians aren't targeting cargo ships. Then, one bomb strikes the deck. [1d6:5] The night is a chaotic rush of putting out fires and sealing off damaged pipes, but in the morning, the damage is minimal. Besides the hole in the deck, three tons of food have been ruined, and a beam fell on the heavy lathe, damaging it beyond use, but it may be reparable. There was only one fatality: against orders, one woman had gone above decks to wave a Vlanladosian flag in the hope that the Forenians wouldn't target the ship. She was fairly close to where the bomb hit, and was injured by splinters of the wooden deck. The doctor couldn't save her, even after a blood transfusion, she bled to death before morning. Her husband was distraught. "I never should have come aboard this ship- the entire plan is madness, and this expedition is cursed!" He left before the ship made way.

You have 998 people.

Later that morning, on July 29th, your ship sets sail. This is Day 1 of the expedition. There is beet cake served, and a performance of the Vlanladosian National Anthem, but the death last night casts a grey fog over all the festivities. The expedition has suffered a fatality before it has even begun. How many more will there be, before it is finished? With a creaking groan, the two steam turbines come to life and propel the Crabby Wench out to sea.

The Passage of Time

Normally, action will take place in one-week blocks, that is, you will decide what actions to take and where to assign your labor, and you will see the results after a week of effort. If something happens earlier than a week which requires your immediate attention, a vote will be called. This will be the case for the first few actions on the journey to Antarctica, which should only take a week but may have several complications. The first of these occurs just three days underway: the cargo hold has begun flooding. Before anyone notices the damage, everything in the additional cargo space re-arranged by the Forenian engineer is lost. This might be a result of combat damage from earlier, or simply a consequence of turning what might originally have been some kind of space for bilge pumping into cargo space. Additionally, the ship is beginning to list. After applying their best efforts to get pumps operational and prevent further flooding, your engineers estimate that you will need to throw 15 tons of cargo overboard to ensure that the ship can stay on course.

Lastly, the livestock has been fed wheat from the rations set aside for colonists, since there isn't any dedicated livestock feed. Unless they're grazing, they'll consume more food than they produce, but they can be butchered later in a pinch.

Labor Assignments

You can assign people, usually in blocks of 100 at a time, to tasks. Right now, at sea, there's not much to do, fishing would probably necessitate stopping the ship and everyone is eager to leave the Crabby Wench's rusty, rum-reaking quarters. The only really important thing to do right now is repair the heavy lathe so that you can begin manufacturing more equipment (using steel from the ship itself, most likely) when you arrive in Antarctica. There are 100 people dedicated to cooking and cleaning right now, as well as 100 people dedicated to keeping the ship running, leaving 798 more or less idle.

Spoiler: Population (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cargo (click to show/hide)

It is Day 3
You must decide what to throw overboard to clear 15 tons of cargo space. The steel foundry or machining tools each weigh more than 15 tons, so those alone would do the job, but the most obvious pick might be the excess coal in the fuel reserves. Besides that the food rations weigh 1000/ton, you have 1 ton of chickens and goats, the 2 cows weigh a ton each, 200 tools weigh a ton, 10,000 bullets weigh a ton, the excavator and crane each weigh 5 tons, and the tractor weighs 2 tons.

You should probably order one or more of your mechanical experts to try repairing the lathe, and you might assign some people to repairing the ship deck, if you can think of where to get materials from. Besides that, you can have the idle passengers take up some useful task, if you can think of one.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 04:23:53 am »

The idle passengers should start breeding, so we can recuperate our loses faster!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 04:30:08 am »

why do we have livestock? it is not like we are going to have any pastures, and we can't afford the inefficiency of feeding our precious little grown food to cattle ( assuming we even manage to grow food.).

I propose all livestock is immediately dumped overboard.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 05:06:45 am »

We should have some of the idle people fix the deck and all of the mechanical experts work on fixing the lathe.

I agree that we should throw all the animals overboard, but I'm not sure what else we should get rid of.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 05:18:27 am »

I concur, but the chickens may come in handy for eating inedibles later.

-Throw 2 cows + all goats + 100 farming tools + 100 hunting tools + 11 tons of coal overboard. (we can use rifles for hunting if needed).
-3 mechanical experts get to fixing the lathe, along with any spare people they might need.
-200 people fix the deck with uhhhh... not sure what.
-The rest form a bucket brigade to bail out this ship.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 05:30:33 am »

Does throwing the Katzar overboard help?
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 06:07:14 am »

we could fix the deck with material from tearing down some interior bulkheads. The kitchen doesn't need walls, does it?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 06:31:35 am »

Instead of using parts of the ship to fix the deck we could use parts we get from scraping some of the furniture. The random civilians don't need beds.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:50 am »

You all aren't thinking like Dwarf Fortress players.

Butcher the cows and goats, tan the hides, use as covering for the deck to prevent rain getting in. Use the bones to make supports if necessary. Carve excess bones into bolts and crossbows to supplement our hunting tools.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 07:53:37 am »

You all aren't thinking like Dwarf Fortress players.

Butcher the cows and goats, tan the hides, use as covering for the deck to prevent rain getting in. Use the bones to make supports if necessary. Carve excess bones into bolts and crossbows to supplement our hunting tools.

Don't butcher all the cows and goats. I assume the cows are a pair.

Throw 15 tons of excess coal overboard. There, done.

Repair the lath, and butcher 10 of the goats for their skin and meat. Skin should be used to repair the hole in the roof for now, and we can reuse it later on.

Also set some people some buckets and start hauling out the water. I also don't know who's bright Idea t was to put perishables in there..

Question? What happened to the bulldozer and excavator in there? Are they still usable, or should we just throw them out for the 15 ton reduce-ment?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 10:13:02 am »

Guys, remember, some of our resources got ruined by flooding. We should toss the ruined stuff overboard first and see how much that helps.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 10:16:39 am »

The ruined stuff was already dumped, and doesn't appear on the cargo list anymore. We need to dump an additional 15 tons.

And why would we ever decide to keep the goats and cows? they are only a drain on dwindling supplies. no reason to ever keep any of them. we can get our leather from seals, but in the destination climate we can't afford to spend our precious little vegetable food on cows.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26