Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: delete this topic  (Read 2210 times)

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
delete this topic
« on: July 07, 2018, 06:55:17 am »

delete this topic
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:26:29 pm by pognivet »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:56:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

After I could stomach some water I ended up taking four Quetiapine pills in order to sleep

Hello, from this comment I assume that you have quetiapine readily avaiable at home. Can I ask why are you getting quetiapine prescriptions?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-----------------------------
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:38:41 pm by pognivet »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you aren't an attorney, which is probably 99.99 percent of people reading this, then what would you do if you were in my situation?

We'd ask one. Which is what you should do. We're not allowed to give you legal advice.

pognivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

------------------------------------
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:38:51 pm by pognivet »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know anything about California. But I do know that that the link below leads to a legal aid group based in LA. At the very least, they should be able to to direct you to someone who can help.

https://lafla.org/help/

Best of luck.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

If you can get a good lawyer, I think you have a chance of getting this thrown out for an illegal search. I'm assuming of course, the shotgun was in fact loaded (though don't say anything about it here, save that for private conversations with a lawyer). I don't know if a public defender will do a good job arguing about it but ask him, hopefully the cops having no dash cam is worth something.

The penal code also says this:
A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when the person carries a loaded firearm on the person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.
I assume if you were on the highway, that's a "prohibited area of unincorporated territory" but you might ask about it.

If you do plea guilty, you don't have any aggravating factors (you don't have previous offenses, the gun is belongs to you, etc). As such you have a good chance of getting the minimum sentence, which is three months, and it's a misdemeanor only, so it won't be too much of a burden on your record. If you don't cause any trouble in jail, then you have a very high chance of being released early with probation. It's actually uncommon for people to serve the entire length of their sentence. So, try to stick it out, and you'll still be able to own firearms and get a job without having to declare yourself as a felon afterwards.
The court shall apply the three-month minimum sentence except in unusual cases where the interests of justice would best be served by granting probation or suspending the imposition or execution of sentence without the minimum imprisonment required in this section or by granting probation or suspending the imposition or execution of sentence with conditions other than those set forth in this section, in which case, the court shall specify on the record and shall enter on the minutes the circumstances indicating that the interests of justice would best be served by that disposition.
If I'm reading this correctly, it recommends the minimum sentence in your circumstances. You also might ask your lawyer if he knows what examples are of circumstances where the court deems to offer only probation instead of the minimum sentence. You may also be offered this in exchange for a guilty plea, which I would recommend taking if you don't have good chances on the illegal search angle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Harpadarpa.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could call around local groups with strong opinions on police brutality. They often have connections with lawyers, and some of those lawyers may be willing to do pro Bono (free) work for you. If that's a bust, call high end law firms and figure out the process for requesting pro Bono legal representation. You probably shouldn't take any plea deal, but depending on what they offer you it may be worth it. Whatever you do, do not plead guilty or no contest without A VERY GOOD plea bargain. No contest and guilty pleas never meet in front of a jury of your peers, which means that you're kinda at the mercy of the judge and the police. I'm no lawyer, but this is the best advice I can offer.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you aren't an attorney, which is probably 99.99 percent of people reading this, then what would you do if you were in my situation?

We'd ask one. Which is what you should do. We're not allowed to give you legal advice.
I can only get a shitty public defender who will roll over and make me plea bargain and put up enough of a fight that he doesn't get disbarred. If you can't give me "legal advice" then please just give me "advice" as you would give to a relative or close friend even though I'm neither.

Well, then: Lose the giant chip on your shoulder about everything, tone down the random cynical asides, and don't take legal advice from the Internet.

Just to be clear, that's not anything to do with your case, just general advice.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:35:04 am by Trekkin »