Dwarf Fortress > DF Announcements

Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released

(1/12) > >>

Toady One:
Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Just some cleaning before we embark on the villain changes.  There's a new offloading popup that can come up on the season change if you have enough activity in your world; it can take a little time in larger worlds, but that's all time that is no longer intermittent lag and it's also less time overall due to reduced redundancies.  If you have an autosave, the offload will be incorporated into that, so autosaves might seem slightly longer (if so, you are also getting the same lag reduction.)

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed crash from corrupted units
   (*) Made baron elevate to count properly
   (*) Removed intermittent lag from off-site conceptions and births (added seasonal unit offloading)
   (*) Made squad orders respect successful site conquest (so new members don't try to reconquer)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Fixed broken display for multiple adventurer agreements
   (*) Show proper mission text for messengers instead of No Job
   (*) Made tantruming dwarves cancel activities
   (*) Controlled how market links are formed somewhat

Bumber:
What's seasonal unit offloading? Is offloading just a fancy way of saying handling stuff that happens off-site? Or is it a process of abstracting units?

George_Chickens:
Wow, thanks! You were really quick with fixing that crashing.

Shonai_Dweller:

--- Quote from: Ispil on July 07, 2018, 11:34:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ispil on July 07, 2018, 11:07:45 pm ---Now, while I haven't gone and installed the newest version (I don't think you made any changes on this front, given the changelog), but I'm still having dwarves not form a single friendship whatsoever. The starting 7 are friends, and that's it. At best, they have some passing acquaintances.

The fort is on its third year.

--- End quote ---
It's entirely possible that my fort may just be suffering from perpetual hauling syndrome- I set the pop cap at 50, but my dwarves are actually falling behind in hauling tasks. I think if everyone is literally spending every waking moment hauling stuff, they probably aren't making many friends. So it all could very well be on my end.

--- End quote ---
Even if dwarves are free, they seem to take a very long time building friendships. Playing in a 'normal' fortress (one without special friendship boxes or other techniques) I can see the level of 'passing acquaintance' is increasing between dwarves who spend a lot of free time together in the tavern but never seems to reach whatever the threshold is for becoming friends.

Not sure if that's because it's purposefully slow (needs a few more years), or if there are factors reducing it at the same time holding up progress.

How long is it supposed to (lore-wise) take for dwarves to go beyond acquaintance to 'friend' (without special techniques)?

Toady One:

--- Quote from: Bumber on July 07, 2018, 09:25:19 pm ---What's seasonal unit offloading? Is offloading just a fancy way of saying handling stuff that happens off-site? Or is it a process of abstracting units?

--- End quote ---

Whenever it loads up a character from the larger world, it grabs them from those unit files it makes in world gen.  Then it resaves them later.  It was doing that pretty often, which was causing some bumps, at least for larger worlds.  Now it does it all during the season change.  This causes a larger memory footprint, but with 64 bits this shouldn't be so much of a concern.

--- Quote from: Ispil on July 07, 2018, 11:07:45 pm ---Now, while I haven't gone and installed the newest version (I don't think you made any changes on this front, given the changelog), but I'm still having dwarves not form a single friendship whatsoever. The starting 7 are friends, and that's it. At best, they have some passing acquaintances.

The fort is on its third year.

--- End quote ---

No, it's probably not the hauling; there's still an issue here, though I'm told some specific strategies work (separating out some dwarves and giving them alone a tavern to socialize in, say.)  I'm formulating a plan, reading the relevant suggestions; it might not be for the villain release, but we'll do something before the Big Wait on this front.

Don't have the dwarf computer handy at the moment for the precise friend conditions; good for FotF while we plot a strategy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version