Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released  (Read 33040 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2018, 09:25:05 pm »

Suggestions forum is what you need.

Indeed, and as the person who uploaded the issue report regarding animals having uneven friendships (& related grudges) to dwarves where they weren't supposed to exist, i can confirm for you @Farmerbob that this was more of a odd issue than your psuedosuggestion puts out and obstructive to the game rather than expanding it.

Animals (of the large and non-intelligent variety) in DF are unlike the real world where they might have a semblence of individuality they are slightly varied clones of their RAW. Semisapients are capable of possessing a personality however, which is set randomly and will affect how they respond in the wild, 1 out of every 5 troglodytes who might avoid or run away from your dwarves will be brave enough to charge headfirst and attack for instance.

Little bit of modding on semi-sapients can adjust and fixate these values to how you want them but social values would just be wasted on them compared to adjustments that shape how they react to situations, being headstrong or skittish etc.

@Mystik were you supposed to quote that like that? I think you have the quotation link for your response wrong, but to just add, smart and stupid always does have a reasonable amount of middle ground, but giving a large animal any low level of intelligence changes them into the middle state of semi sapient [SLOW_LEARNER] unless they're much like a gremlin or mushroom men found in the wild.

I do not doubt that a change was made to address a problem.  My only concern was that the wording of the change log could be read to mean that Toady performed the code equivalent of a foot amputation to cure a hangnail.  The comment was just as much a question as a suggestion, and I believe it was right for me to word it that way, as I was unsure of what exactly was done.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]