Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Staves as weapons?  (Read 3521 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Staves as weapons?
« on: July 07, 2018, 11:51:36 pm »

Staves can hit very hard when properly wielded, they could be a cheap alternative to metal weapons for poor fortresses. Elves could use them instead of their crappy wooden swords and whatnot. They could be made of wood or metal. If possible they'd be wielded with 2 hands.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Staves as weapons?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 12:04:35 am »

And when magic is added, in some worlds you might have to use staves to cast spells, and the staff itself could be used as a backup weapon. +1
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:08:49 am »

And when magic is added, in some worlds you might have to use staves to cast spells, and the staff itself could be used as a backup weapon. +1
I'm not talking about magic staves, maybe they could exist, but i'm talking about quarterstaffs or Bo staffs.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:14:35 am »

They're easy enough to add. Not sure if existing combat skills are entirely appropriate for them, but you can definitely make raws for them right now.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:19:39 am »

I use spear skill for staves and just not give it anything but bash attacks, it basically makes them really bad maces.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:14 am »

I use spear skill for staves and just not give it anything but bash attacks, it basically makes them really bad maces.
I modded in staves, and gave it the spear bash attack. But increased the velocity of bash to 3.5x (from 1.25,) lowered prepared and recover time to 2 (from 3) and raised the weapon size to 500 (from 400.) In object testing arena, elves armed with steel staves were able to beat elves armed with steel spears.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:57:25 am »

I'm not sure that staves should regularly beat out spears, simply for the fact that a spear is a staff with extra options.  In theory, could they be given a block_chance, allowing them to be more defensive? I haven't got my raws with me to check if they're compatible.

EDIT: If the shield block_chance is compatible with weapons, I might go modding all of my weapons to make some of them more offensive or defensive.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 09:07:13 am »

If you don't mind invaders never using it, you could assign them to an unused skill like balance or alchemy, and rename it appropriately.

Also, as the proud owner of both staff and spear, I can tell you, a staff doesn't really get any more velocity than a spear, unless it's weighted or something, and no matter what will never get more momentum behind it that a freaking maul. The other 2 differences are reasonable though.

You could force things under a certain size to use them 2 handed, but even though that's how they'd be better used IRL, AFAICT it provides no advantage in DF.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:05:57 am »

you could put an magic gem or other magical source (unicorn hair/horn) on the end of the staff to make it magical
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:24:36 am »

you could put an magic gem or other magical source (unicorn hair/horn) on the end of the staff to make it magical
Depends on the world. Magic will be completely procedurally generated.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 04:25:46 am »

I'm not sure that staves should regularly beat out spears, simply for the fact that a spear is a staff with extra options.  In theory, could they be given a block_chance, allowing them to be more defensive?
You're right, of course, as far as the composition of the weapon itself is considered, but much depends on how it's used, and the conditions. A single speardwarf can use his spear just like a staff, but a whole squad of them standing in formation cannot. Admittedly, they could if they were spaced far enough apart, but that's less defensively viable than adopting a phalanx or shieldwall formation, which only make sense for spears, not staves. So any block_chance to be considered would stem more from how the weapon is used, rather than what the weapon is.

Historically, staves were used not because they were better than spears (they weren't), but because they were so damn cheap. I think DF should echo that: Staves are fine for civilians, but a soldier is going to want a real weapon. (Unless they're using a staff merely to show that they don't even need a real weapon to waste your sorry ass.)
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:34 am »

I'm not sure that staves should regularly beat out spears, simply for the fact that a spear is a staff with extra options.  In theory, could they be given a block_chance, allowing them to be more defensive?
You're right, of course, as far as the composition of the weapon itself is considered, but much depends on how it's used, and the conditions. A single speardwarf can use his spear just like a staff, but a whole squad of them standing in formation cannot. Admittedly, they could if they were spaced far enough apart, but that's less defensively viable than adopting a phalanx or shieldwall formation, which only make sense for spears, not staves. So any block_chance to be considered would stem more from how the weapon is used, rather than what the weapon is.

Historically, staves were used not because they were better than spears (they weren't), but because they were so damn cheap. I think DF should echo that: Staves are fine for civilians, but a soldier is going to want a real weapon. (Unless they're using a staff merely to show that they don't even need a real weapon to waste your sorry ass.)

You're right about the block_chance - it was more an afterthought caused by the discussion.  If staves could be coded in for civilians (like a woocutter's axe or miner's pick) I'd like to see them and other modded weapons being used as civilian dwarven sidearms, without the need to assign everyone to an always-uniformed militia squad.  That would make use of the ease and low cost of making them, because under any other circumstances you'd just make any of half a dozen better weapons.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:14 am »

I'm not talking about magic staves, maybe they could exist, but i'm talking about quarterstaffs or Bo staffs.

There are usually two different kinds of magic staves in mythology and fiction:
One is inherently magical, the other is just a conduit/amplifier for the mages/spellcasters own power.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 11:14:08 am »

Wooden training spears are litterally staves, tho. It's a spear made of wood without edge. It's as staffy as it gets

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »

I'm not sure that staves should regularly beat out spears
The staff is larger and 2handed, the spear is smaller and one handed, if the spear user has a shield, they get the advantage.
Pages: [1] 2