Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here I unleash some of my music & art projects  (Read 1058 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Here I unleash some of my music & art projects
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:22:03 am »

So, some time ago I decided to try and see if I can still track some music after a hiatus of approximately ten years. As a result I made an album just for fun and never got to spread it further than my circle of friends.

The tracks are heavily influenced by old computer/video game soundtracks from the 80s/90s (especially Monkey Island 1 & 2) and therefore chiptune was the way to go for me. Other sources of inspiration were crappy fantasy films from the same era, pen-and-paper RPGs and Dwarf Fortress had it's own place to play in the creative process. In addition to the music I drew some illustrations to accompany the tracks and hopefully tell some kind of a story as a whole.

Here's a link to the Youtube video (includes all of the artwork):

https://youtu.be/-CuVi8n14Xw

And here's the artwork (if you'd rather just check them and not listen to the music 8)):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can grab the full album and related artwork for free from Bandcamp:

https://bbkilmister.bandcamp.com/

(Constructive criticism & feedback are welcome.)

Edit: resized the images to a smaller size.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here I unleash some of my music & art projects
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:36:29 am »

I haven't really managed to finish any stuff during this year except for one track that I did a bit over a month ago. We had a small competition with a couple of friends to make a summer themed track within a one week deadline.

This is what I came up with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDatshuc6A

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:22:51 am »

Currently listening to the album, and god DAMN this is some old school goodness, wouldn't be at all out of place in an early 90's game. Drawings are also great, seems like you're one of those almost annoying multi-competent people who can both draw and compose well. I'm slightly envious, but nontheless glad you're sharing your stuff with us. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:41 am »

this is some old school goodness, wouldn't be at all out of place in an early 90's game.

This is actually something I sought to achieve. So, nice to hear. :)

seems like you're one of those almost annoying multi-competent people who can both draw and compose well.

Well, I've still got plenty to learn in composing and it's been a long road to learn how to make something decent sounding. 90% of the time I'm just completely frustrated while making music and feel like quitting altogether. But then when you finally manage to pull up something that works the resulting feeling is totally worth all the trouble.

I'm currently working on a second album, but am having a really bad creative block so it's a bit hard to say when it'll be finished. Could be anywhere between a couple of months to several years. In the meantime I'll try to make some random music (and hopefully illustrations too) just to atleast get something accomplished.