Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Culture Travels  (Read 1335 times)

lovesword

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Culture Travels
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:14:40 pm »

I generally take my time reading through a dwarf's general traits and ones that I enjoy the most are in the personality traits.  With later updates, do you think it could be possible for us to send travelers to friendly civilizations (undercover travelers to non-friendly?) for varied lengths to let certain dwarves (specifically the scholars, musicians, and craft dwarves- possibly even "artists" like painters if they get added)?  I was also thinking that a civilization, depending on factors like population size and race, would have different values of law, friendship, power, eloquence, commerce, artwork, and so on which would either inspire or disgust the dwarves you send which would hopefully effect the work they create throughout their journey and after.  It could be possible to appoint an expedition leader, when appointed, would desire a certain amount food/trade goods/guards/spies and so on to serve the purpose of the travel.   So the process might be not as complicated as I might have made it sound (in my mind at least):

1. Appoint a one time expedition leader
2. Pick a travel location (doesn't have to be a settlement) and the purpose of travel (scouting*/culture/spying/political/resource gathering)
3. The expedition leader (possibly based on relevant skills like leader, organization, and so on) requests a minimum amount of items/wagons/beasts of burden for what he expects would be a successful mission
4. The fort sees them off and wish them a safe return
5. Wait
6. wait
7. wait
8. The travelers have returned!
9. Get to see their travel log, what new items they returned with (and what they still have from the send off), gain in skills, and what losses they experienced (if any)

*  I feel like scouting would be the most important one out of all the options because it would allow you to learn more about the location you want to send people to (and possibly the travel path) without a heavy resource commitment.

I'm honestly not sure if it has been suggested already or not since I'm rather green to dwarf fortress, but I just got really excited at the possibility and couldn't help myself.  Thanks for reading!

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Culture Travels
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:53 pm »

This sounds like an intresting idea. Perhaps maybe we could even send out a wagon, or set out to start a new fortress. (If you’re the mountainhomes)

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:59:11 pm »

It would be fun to be able to send out scholars or craftdwarves to other civilizations either to learn a new technique, to use a new material, learn new subjects to write about, and-so-on.
It would also be nice to be able to send out herbalists or animal handlers to trade with other civilizations for seeds you don't have or breeding pairs of tame animals you can't get guaranteed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »

It would be fun to be able to send out scholars or craftdwarves to other civilizations either to learn a new technique, to use a new material, learn new subjects to write about, and-so-on.
Oh yes, and for the sake of balance this should be happening worldwide. Including at your fortress (I'm thinking of the future when workshops are zones and apprentices are possible).

Goblin Diplomat: Our dark lord proposes a wonderful exchange. He'll send you 40 able bodied metalcrafters to study with your master smiths. In exchange we agree to take on 40 plump children for... cultural exchange. Yes, this is a wonderful and generous offer from the dark lord with no ulterior motives at all!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:25 pm »

I think I'd rather see our residents petitioning for permission to study abroad. Having the overseer order it is a bit forced.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 11:12:55 pm »

I think I'd rather see our residents petitioning for permission to study abroad. Having the overseer order it is a bit forced.
Yeah, agree with this mostly.
For certain groups though, like having a government formed dance troupe attend another civ's festival it might be overseer lead too.

lovesword

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:12:27 am »

After having thought more about it, I agree.  This is probably more realistic in terms of the game as well.