Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!  (Read 683 times)

Lumpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »

So I created a world with the excellent PerfectWorld tool, and I got this amazing Mirkwood-like forest in the northern part of the map. I'd really like it to be an evil biome, but whenever I set the number of evil squares in large regions to 1, the only biome becoming evil is the ocean surrounding my land mass. I know for sure that there are other regions classified as 'large', since when I input a ridiculously high number into the 'evil squares in large biomes' field, other biomes, including the forest in question, become evil as well. But when I allocate but a single biome to be evil, the ocean will be it every single time. Might this be a bug? How does the algorithm work? May it be that the single largest biome is selected first when the game decides which one to pick?

edit: I tried to trick the algorithm by allocating a single 'good square in large biomes'. But in a hilariously-tragic counter-troll, the game still makes the ocean the evil biome, while turning my would-be terrorforest into a benign fairy-wonderland. Well played, game. I've started about two dozens world generations now, and every time, the ocean is evil. There certainly seems to be something fishy here (no pun intended).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:59:43 pm by Lumpy »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:20 pm »

I love playing in evil biomes but I've struggled with getting world gen—even with PerfectWorld—to create good maps for this. These days I use PatrikLundell's Biome Manipulator utility to make my embark site's biome evil, so I don't even have to worry about alignment when choosing an otherwise great spot.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Lunatic, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:05 am »

I had the same issue some months ago when I was trying to gen mostly evil worlds. While it wasn't a perfect solution, I found that rising the amount for all evil area types (small,medium,large) helped with getting more evil lands.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:30:06 am »

I don't know how DF assigns evilness, but there are definitely biases in there (the same goes for civ placement, by the way).

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:40:36 pm »

Could be a pseudo random number generator thing. Can you change the seed?