Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!  (Read 1008 times)

Lumpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »

So I created a world with the excellent PerfectWorld tool, and I got this amazing Mirkwood-like forest in the northern part of the map. I'd really like it to be an evil biome, but whenever I set the number of evil squares in large regions to 1, the only biome becoming evil is the ocean surrounding my land mass. I know for sure that there are other regions classified as 'large', since when I input a ridiculously high number into the 'evil squares in large biomes' field, other biomes, including the forest in question, become evil as well. But when I allocate but a single biome to be evil, the ocean will be it every single time. Might this be a bug? How does the algorithm work? May it be that the single largest biome is selected first when the game decides which one to pick?

edit: I tried to trick the algorithm by allocating a single 'good square in large biomes'. But in a hilariously-tragic counter-troll, the game still makes the ocean the evil biome, while turning my would-be terrorforest into a benign fairy-wonderland. Well played, game. I've started about two dozens world generations now, and every time, the ocean is evil. There certainly seems to be something fishy here (no pun intended).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:59:43 pm by Lumpy »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Large evil biomes: exclusively oceans!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:20 pm »

I love playing in evil biomes but I've struggled with getting world gen—even with PerfectWorld—to create good maps for this. These days I use PatrikLundell's Biome Manipulator utility to make my embark site's biome evil, so I don't even have to worry about alignment when choosing an otherwise great spot.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:05 am »

I had the same issue some months ago when I was trying to gen mostly evil worlds. While it wasn't a perfect solution, I found that rising the amount for all evil area types (small,medium,large) helped with getting more evil lands.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:30:06 am »

I don't know how DF assigns evilness, but there are definitely biases in there (the same goes for civ placement, by the way).

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:40:36 pm »

Could be a pseudo random number generator thing. Can you change the seed?