Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Civs and Creature Token modding  (Read 691 times)

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Civs and Creature Token modding
« on: July 12, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »

My kobold civs are almost always near depleted upon finishing world gen of 1050 years and often, halfway through.

Kobold civs are inherently weak so I buffed them with more equipment variety apart from underwear for armor and wooden forks for weapons, made all biomes more hospitable and let them tolerate cities and dark fortresses

Then I buffed their reproduction values by having them lay a minimum of 1000 eggs and mature at the age of 2.

Supposedly, I should be seeing a huge change in ending population but kobold civs still only have ~94 kolbolds on average.

How do I mod kobolds so that their civilizations would be more successful?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Civs and Creature Token modding
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »

Give them towns? Caves don't spread out like other sites, so kobold pops are somewhat limited, and a whole civ is prone to being wiped out in a single megabeast attack

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:40:37 pm »

Egg modification doesn't affect worldgen in any way, and same goes for LITTERSIZE tag. Worldgen creatures seem to be unable to have more than one kid per year.

The main problem kobolds have, I assume, is food. Yeah, believe it or not, but DF has some basic simulation of this for civs. INDOOR_FARMING, OUTDOOR_FARMING, INDOOR_GARDENS, OUTDOOR_GARDENS, INDOOR_ORCHARDS, OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS are the tags that should help straight away - pick any combination of those or all at once, whatever you prefer. RIVER_PRODUCTS and OCEAN_PRODUCTS also help, but only if the civ has sites near a river or an ocean respectively. Vanilla kobolds have none of these tags, presumably to show that they are hunter-gatherers and, thus, can only live in small tribes.
Source: once I was fooling around wih variable human civs and my nomadic horde style guys performed very poorly in terms of population, until I've given them farming, fishing and encouraged them to settle along the rivers. All of these changes were done one by one and each had a noticeable effect on pop number.

I don't think you even need to change the site type for this to work, but I don't know for sure, so, try out and see for yourself. One thing I can say for sure is that when a cave is conquered by a successful human/goblin/elven civ, it can sometimes reach a population of more than a thousand. You can even embark on such caves.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:48:57 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:22:15 pm »

giving them the [NO_EAT] tag is a dirty way to do it, furthermore its even more fun as they're enemies.
the problem however becomes the explosive population growth, i've seen my kobolds go from "extinct" to 100,000 with just the addition of [NO_EAT] tag.

and yes, i second shonai's opinion about giving them more settlements to spread around on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:25:09 pm by EpicMadness »