Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Arks Race (Jump 1)  (Read 3318 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Arks Race (Jump 1)
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:11 pm »

Company Thread
Consortium Thread

With a press of a button, the Consortium would change history.
Years in the planning. The secret group composed of like-minded experts and workers and soldiers and civilians hid themselves in plain sight among the company. Waiting. Preparing. Until the moment for them to shine came. The explosives were laid, the viruses installed, and all that was needed was for someone to press the button to start it all. And they did.
Ark 1 shuttered as it suffered multiple hull breaches and parts came flying off of it in arcs. Alarms that had been installed days prior started going off as the construction workers hopelessly tried to fix the myriad of problems that had just appeared. Simultaneously, the docking clamps under mysterious instructions let the sister ship Ark 2 -- nowhere near as complete, and just barely spaceworthy -- go as its new thrusters began to fire with the Consortium onboard.

The leaders of the company were furious. All this, all this, under their noses this entire time, and they had no idea. Now half of the project they had spent trillions on was gone, and the remaining half was severely damaged. Someone would have to pay, but the only ones who could be held responsible were already on their way to Eden. Eden, the first habitable planet to ever be discovered. If this Consortium got there first, they could shoot any incoming ships out of the sky before they had a chance to land. No, this was not acceptable, and would not happen.
Ark 1 had its repairs cancelled. The thrusters and basic life supports were ensured operational, and its crew was loaded onboard prematurely. A plan was devised to quickly create a device that could launch Ark 1 at speeds great enough to catch Ark 2 as it stopped for supplies. In a day, it was done, and Ark 1 was sent on its way. Damaged, once-more incomplete, but with a full crew that had vengeance on their minds.

Ark Race

You are the (engineers of the) crew of one of these Arks. Launched while still under construction as part of a long-term mission to send people to Eden, the first confirmed-habitable extraterrestrial planet known to humanity.
Ark 1 was closer to completion before launch, but was sabotaged by the Consortium as part of their plan. The crew of Ark 1 was carefully handpicked by the Company to pilot it to Eden; the Company, not wanting to be 2nd to Eden, launched it with only minimal repairs.
Ark 2 was much less complete, but didn't experience any sabotage as the Consortium chose this ship to fly to Eden, hoping to get there first while Ark 1 was being repaired. Though the Consortium knew that the Company could send out Ark 1 anyways, which they ultimately ended up doing.

The journey to Eden is very long, but still well within human lifespans thanks to innovations in the engines. The trip won't be as comfortable as originally planned, but now you have something else to worry about: the other Ark. The Consortium wants the others gone in order to fulfill their original mysterious goals, and the Company's Ark is fueled by a lust for vengeance and a desire from the Company to reach and colonize Eden while they still can.
There are many stops along the way required to gather water, fuel, and materials. As both sides are operating off of the same navigation plan, they'll be hitting the same stops at the same time, and have to use these stops to attempt elimination of the enemy Ark.

Conscripted from the crew, or simply volunteers, your task is to design components for and develop your Ark to survive and destroy the enemy.

This is an Arms Race game. It's pretty simple even if you haven't played one before. You design things to add onto your Ark that will be used to (try and) beat the enemy. Whichever side survives past the other, wins. For those experienced with it, this game uses Draignean's AR system (Cinder Spires; GalactiRace) based around projects, prototypes, and resources. For those inexperienced, have a nice explanation.

Note: When I say "1d6" I mean a random result between 1 and 6 bell curved via actually rolling 1d4+2d2-2. Thanks to Draignean, which I stole asked nicely for this from.

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navigation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (and Repairs) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Victory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: You are on a giant unfinished spaceship heading towards a far-away planet. There is another giant unfinished spaceship on the same route as you. Your job is to design things and build up your ship to survive and destroy/disable the other one so you are the only people capable of arriving at your destination.
If you're interested and want to play but the rules seem daunting, join in anyways, and don't be afraid to ask the GM or fellow players as you go!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:34:39 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race (Jump 0)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:16:09 pm »

Joining the Consortuim

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »

I shall sign up for the Company.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:30:26 pm »

Hmm... New Race.

All hands, Ark 1.{Company}

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »

Glory upon the Consortium.

Avanti!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:34:50 pm »

To the Catsortium!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:06:01 pm »

The Blood Librarian has placed their lots with the Consortium.

Hail to the Consortium.

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »

A bit lopsided eh?... Shame I hate the idea of megacorps. Consortium it has to be.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:12:46 pm »

Joining the consortium as well (if still possible)

Who likes mega corps anyways?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:50:03 pm »

Looks like I'd better become a Company Man and even these numbers out a bit.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:13 pm »

Ooh, an Arms Race! Consortium, I guess.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »

I really should've joined the Company. Too many people means that my crazy shit doesnt get fast-tracked into oblivion.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:49 pm »

This early in the game, switching sides shouldn't be that big a deal; especially given how we have 3 super-turns before meeting up.

Just keep a lid over what was already discussed in the one thread and do your damnedest to keep it out of mind when making plans for your new side.

If your not sure... I guess just stay out of things for a bit and wait for Chief's opinion?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:10 pm »

A person of the ties, the corporation path has been assigned to me

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:44 pm »

Having less people means we have less ideas.

This is good and bad. Good because we can aggre on a course somewhat quickly. Bad because less ideas.

Also, victory over the sabotage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4