Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Arks Race - Exploratory Systems, Incoporated: Ark Endeavour (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 15527 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Anyway, time for design proposals.

Fission Dust Drive

The Fission Dust drive directly harnesses nuclear fission products to provide propulsion, avoiding the mechanical complexity and propellant demands of indirect drive systems.  Fissile nano particles are injected into a vacuum chamber. There the particles undergo fission. The resulting fragments are ionized, and travel at speeds of around 0.03 to 0.05 c. A magnetic mirror channels these particles into a single coherent beam, which provides thrust. Thanks to the tremendous exhaust velocity, this system has an ISP of around 1 million seconds and an efficiency of nearly 90%.

Since the drive is basically an open ended nuclear reactor, it is of course fully automated. The lack of mechanical complexity and utter lack of working fluids should hopefully keep costs low. Energy consumption should be limited, as the all the power driving the propellant originates from the nuclear reaction, not any other system.

Whipple and decoy Shielding

A relatively simple shielding system. A series of thin armor layers that extends around a section of the vessel. Any projectile, laser or other weapon will hit the first layer, then crack and smash into the second, third and following layers, losing energy all the while. To make the design more interesting, the outer layer is fitted with some decoys spoofing heat and other emissions. This makes it seem like the most important part of the stuff it's protecting is actually elsewhere.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...What type of fusion does our reacter use? CNO or Proton-proton chain reaction? Or are we just using regular fusion.

Also, the benefits of a Cold Fusion cycle?{For our main engine, not our current auxiliary.}

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spiral Assault Particle Accelerator
The S.A.P.A. is a large ring shaped particle accelerator, able to 'spin up' the particles in question until they are going fast enough to be very smashy. Once that speed has been achieved, the particles are split off from the main accelerator into side mounted linear accelerators which lead out to the edges of the module, where final aiming takes place and the particle beam is launched towards an enemy vessel. The Module has a built in radar array, as well as a laser rangefinder/target for back up if the radar is jammed, and a computer core that controls the accelerator and radar and does all the aiming. No actual people should be needed in the module, and it should be able to be commanded and assigned targets from the bridge.

So here's another weapon design just because I want to do something funner then a railgun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I’d like for there to be a sensor design, to potentially help evade the Anvil and/or get more opportunities for environmental gathering and exploitation in some fashion. However, I’m not worth shit for actually designing things in these.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Factsphere Sensor

An Orb covered by a retractable Metal. It gathers Thermal Imaging, Light, and a number of other wavelengths. It can also release a number of Lasers to find distance for objects.{Just regular light used to find where said light stops and determine distance from that.}

These lasers can be moved by small motors below the Design which reflects through the sphere.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

You need to vote on designs for me to continuee the game, people.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Company Ark (Jump 0)
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2018, 04:09:47 pm »

I always feel it is a shame when old but still relevant designs get forgotten just because a new turn comes around. Here is a votebox with old and new designs included.
Designs:
-Infrastructure:
--- "Itinerant" RC Mining Drones:
--- Rock Docking Module:
--- Laser Contained Carbon Mining Beam:

-Utility:
--- Fission Dust Drive:
--- Factsphere Sensor

-Defenses :
--- "Sanctuary" Layered Defense Armor:
--- Cherubim Interceptor Laser Array:
--- Whipple and decoy Shielding

-Weapons:
--- Thor Railgun: (---) No one is voting for the Weapon.
--- Bomblet Launch Module: (1) Talion
--- Spiral Assault Particle Accelerator

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

Maelstrom Magnetic Accelerator Cannon:

The Maelstrom is a magnificent coilgun we will perform to make sure the Consortium deserve their fate for challenging and sabotaging one of our ships, and the multitude of lives that removed in an instant. This weapon platform follows the operation principle of a elongated cannon technology that shoots a massive metal projectile using a linear system of magnetic fields coils down a long shaft, increasing the projectile's velocity until it carries an incredible amount of kinetic energy. The models that the Maelstrom utilizes is of ferric tungsten rounds of 3 meters long at around 30,000 meters per second by the utilization of magnetic fields pushing the linear projectile extremely outwards and the fact that their is little gravitational pull against the tungsten rod. The high muzzle speed of this weapon platform gives the 5~-ton slug the kinetic energy and momentum necessary to damage a target and partially mitigates the unguided nature of the slug and its lack of maneuverability. The Maelstrom comes equipped with a basic targeting computer to outline the tungsten rod being shot out of the outwards cannon on the ship. The cannon has a outward turret from the ship that can move in 180 degree axis, and fire it rounds while the basic technology of an autoloader reloads the cannon

((MAC guns are just so fun and extremely effective, having a cannon that fires a 100-tin slug against our enemies with magnetically enhanced muzzle speed will severely damage the enemy armor and shielding and whatnot as they can’t handle the tremendous and practical force of firing against them))

Quote from: MopeBox
Fission Dust Drive: (2) SC, 10ebbor10
While and Decoy Shielding: (2) SC, 10ebbor10
Spiral Assault Particle Accelerator
Factsphere Sensor
Maelstrom MAC: (1) SC
Bomblet Launch Module: (1) Talion

Extra Die:
(1) Whipple and Decoy Shielding (Time 1 Die): (1) SC

Please many of those designs have already been obsoleted by a previous project we created, just have the designs you want to turn into projects be in the VoteBox
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:21:32 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like any of the weapon options, but don't really have any better suggestions.
The Thor Railgun, I'm sorry, has a weird description. I think I'd otherwise like a railgun.
The bomblets are too expensive.
The particle accelerator is too high tech for our first weapon.
The MAC is a "fire once, either we utterly cripple them or miss" weapon, which would be bad game design to allow, and I don't know if have enough materials for a single 100-ton slug.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

I can make the cannon a 5 or 10-ton tungsten slug if we need to severely decrease the resource cost of the weapon for firing it, a simple pulse Laser Turret would only cost power by have weak attacking power at the cost of energy.

Anyways the MAC only fires 5-ton slug rounds and would only require minor-medium resource upkeep to fire it, and the inherent energy cost but it would be lower than just a Laser Cannon that entirely relies on lasers. Unless we create a pulse Laser Cannon into like a Gatling Laser Cannon with advanced cooling, and that seems like a decent idea

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Fission Dust Drive: (3) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner
While and Decoy Shielding: (3) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner
Spiral Assault Particle Accelerator: (1) Powder Miner
Factsphere Sensor
Bomblet Launch Module: (1) Talion

Extra Die:
(1) Whipple and Decoy Shielding (Time 1 Die): (1) SC
(0) None: (1) Powder Miner
Honestly despite my arguing against armor, Whipple and Decoy seems pretty damn cool. As for dice time, we can use our dice next turn for that, esp. since we'll know what the shielding actually costs to advance.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile

We can never again reroll for Time again unless we waste another three dice to repeat the project, we might get horrible results for time for something as advanced like the Particle Accelerator,  like imagine it having 25 or 30 Project cost be we got low-rolled and got a one for the design, of we don’t want luck to screw us with an advanced weapon spending the extra die for making the total time slower, we can do rush die sure but that has a significant chance of getting bugs for the design costing us more die to revise those off. I would vote for the Particle Cannon if we actually spend just one more die to make sure the time on that design is lower

Or at least make sure that we can have Armor by the time Combat happens, and we only need to do one die of Time be rolled at an advantage. We will do all the Project and Revision dice next turn...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:48:12 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Fission Dust Drive: (3) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner
While and Decoy Shielding: (4) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Doomblade
Factsphere Sensor
Bomblet Launch Module: (2) Talion, Doomblade

Extra Die:
(1) Whipple and Decoy Shielding (Time 1 Die): (2) SC, Doomblade
Bomblets pair well with the decoys.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no sense of scale, let me know if it's way off.

Thrasher Magnetic Accelerator Cannon Array
A little-brother variant of the envisioned Maelstrom MAC. This smaller coilgun will fire 10 pound ferric tungsten shells, with a better rate of fire. The module comes with 5 individual turrets, each with their own basic targeting computer. They can track individual targets or network together to focus on one, increasing accuracy with more predictive computing power and a firing pattern that is more difficult to dodge.

Fission Dust Drive: (4) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Nirur
While and Decoy Shielding: (5) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Doomblade Nirur
Factsphere Sensor
Thrasher MAC Array: (1) Nirur

Extra Die:
(2) Whipple and Decoy Shielding (Time 1 Die): (1) SC, Doomblade
(1) Fission Dust Drive (Time 1 Die): (1) Nirur
The drive is harder than the armor, so I'd rather put the time die in that.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First off, I think that a proper weapon should look more like this:

Flashlight Defensive Laser Array
A bank of extremely high-powered chemical lasers, spaced evenly around the ship to cover every possible angle of approach. A radar system linked to computerized fire-control (basically what we have on modern warships, except it's in space with lasers and bigger numbers in the range and velocity categories) directs the lasers in intercepting any solid threats to the Endeavour, also known as "anything on a collision course moving fast enough to cause damage, and anything [including the enemy Ark] that the human operators mark as a valid target, prioritizing things that will cause damage before going on the offensive". Each chemical laser is a mirror-walled tube with a tiny hole in the center of one of the mirrors. The tube is filled with two gasses, and a reaction is triggered between them. When the reaction finishes, a beam of light is pumped through the mixture. The photons are absorbed, and then re-released as coherent light. This cascades through the entire mixture until the tube is full of bouncing photons rapidly finding the exit and being emitted in a single powerful beam of light. This tube assembly plus the tubes and cables necessary to run it are mounted in a gimbal, which rotates around in its socket to maximize the laser's arcs of fire, while also conveniently preventing the barrel from depressing past horizontal (i.e., being capable of striking the Ark itself). The gas mixture is made to provide maximum power, but also to be separable by electrolysis. As in, running an electrical current through the substance will cause it to break down into the two gasses originally used for firing. This process isn't necessarily fast, but it means that once the gas canisters are filled, we won't need to worry about constantly replacing the gasses within them.

Quote from: Votes
Fission Dust Drive: (5) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Nirur, Madman
        3 dice: (1) Madman
        4 dice (extra to Time): Nirur
Whipple and Decoy Shielding: (6) SC, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Doomblade, Nirur, Madman
        3 dice: (3) Powder Miner, Madman, Nirur
        4 dice (extra to Time): (2) SC, Doomblade
Factsphere Sensor
Thrasher MAC Array: (1) Nirur
Flashlight Defensive Laser Array: (1) Madman
OK, reorganized votes so it follows a more concise and clear-cut system. We only have one extra die, so just pay attention to how you're voting so we don't try to spend 11 dice or anything like that, not that that's an issue right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18