Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Arks Race - Exploratory Systems, Incoporated: Ark Endeavour (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 15459 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Company Ark (Jump 0)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:08 am »

Note that we already have a mining plan. Just building another during construction will increase our gain. But building 2 of them will limit us.

The Mine pays itself back in 2 turns. One turn if we include the fact that we can dismantle it.

...well, obviously we need to design weapons as well. My point is that it's better to spend 10 resources repairing armour than 100 resources repairing a more vulnerable module.
And armour ought to counter multiple kinds of weapon.

My point is, that it's far better for us to have to repair 100 resources worth of damage, and the enemy to have to repair 100 resources worth of damage, than for us to have to repair 10 resources worth of damage, and the enemy to have to repair nothing.

We're dealing with an opportunity cost here, as our actions and resources are very limited.

I'm not saying we shouldn't ever build defenses. But we should build weapons first. Well, actually infrastructure, then weapons, then defenses.

We only have 4 Skeleton Space available, we need to be economical with it. Basically, neither us nor the enemy has enough space to put enough weaponry to make defenses useful. With our current limits, extra weaponry will inflict more damage than defenses can prevent.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:44:57 am by 10ebbor10 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:56 am »

Dreamweaver is not of immediate use to us. And what happens once they start to wake?

We need a weapon, armor, and mining. Anything else should come second.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 12:05:27 pm »

I appreciate your point ebbor, but I think you're being too absolute. We have three turns before any combat equipment matters. We can build a gun and armour. We should start whichever we think will take longest.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:19 pm »

The way I am  looking at this. It is one ship vs another ship. We need to put gin and somehow take as little damage as possible so we can mine to do repairs. We need dice on our side and a really solid weapon case.

As for a defense grind, I thought the idea of firing out clouds of thick particles (or more tonpoint solid metal balls.) as a cheap sort of force field based on sensors so they go off to shreds missile, deflect projectile or soak energy weapon.

As for a weapon, something that hits hard and true. Most likely a rail gun sort of deal. And we should then focus on armor or ship/tactical methods to move fast and steer it to Eden faster. Maybe even messing their targeting by degrees ( because our ship got sabotaged theirs incomplete. So do need to do something to make sure our important stuff is not exposed.)

I myself plan to just vote. Never going to design again.

Edit: Probably going with the Thor. Especially if it can fire long ranges.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:20:32 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 12:25:01 pm »

I appreciate your point ebbor, but I think you're being too absolute. We have three turns before any combat equipment matters. We can build a gun and armour. We should start whichever we think will take longest.

No, we should start with infrastructure, because the effects of infrastructure accumulate.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:05 pm »

Here are some ideas to add to the pile.

Bomblet Launch Module
This weapon system is designed to launch large quantities of dumb munitions on an intercept path to the targeted vessel. The module uses a conveyor feed turret system to safely release the bomblets, combined with on ship maneuver thrusters to fine-tune release point and resultant trajectory. The multi-feed turret allows multiple bomblets to be released at a fixed separation, such that premature detonation is unlikely to trigger a chain reaction. The bomblets themselves use a simple contact trigger that is armed on a timer. The bomblets can also be launched to intercept other weapon systems such as missiles as the bomblets can be layered to form a wall of explosives in the way of the most obvious attack trajectory.

Rock Docking Module
Designed to connect to smaller rocks that can reasonably be transported by the Ark, the AR Module provides a stable platform from which to break these rocks down over time. The rock chunks are nevertheless still sufficiently large that they can be used as an emergency shield by maneuvering the vessel to place the rock between the ship and incoming attack.

Laser Contained Carbon Mining Beam
The LCCM Beam is designed to deploy high-speed matter for the purpose of breaking larger asteroids into smaller rocks that can be more efficiently exploited. Small quantities of carbon are heated up and shot at high speed using lasers to both propel and guide the carbon atoms in a high-pressure stream at the target rock. Under the heat and pressure of carbon bombardment, the existing connections between molecules break down, gradually carving a path through the rock akin to a river carving a path to the sea.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 12:30:45 pm »

Infrastructure is also easiest. We can do that after the first jump.

We don't get to save our dice for the first jumps, so we have to use all of them. And Having 3 projects started First time means those projects will improve on their own.

Infrastructure is something that can be done after we jump the first time.{Repeating myself...}

nin'd

It should be noted hat our movement is also too slow for that.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 12:31:16 pm »

I was referring to your argument for guns to the exclusion of armour. Infrastructure was never part of the combat discussion.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 01:14:27 pm »

Infrastructure is also easiest. We can do that after the first jump.

First off, I see no reason why infrastructure should be the easiest. As the limiting factor on everything, I expect it to be hardest, actually.
Secondly, resource gathering infrastructure has cumulative benefit over multiple turns. We want to prioritize it as much as possible.
Meanwhile, guns and defenses will only be usefull from turn 3 onwards.

I was referring to your argument for guns to the exclusion of armour. Infrastructure was never part of the combat discussion.

Except it is, because of opportunity cost.

We currently have 4 open Skeleton Space, 2 Open LS and 5 Power.
My plan is to build 2 Mining bays this turn, to frontload our gathering capacity. They'll pay themselves back before the end of the gathering period, so there's little reason not too.
That means we max out life support. We'll also only have 2 Skeleton spots left.
So, we need to upgrade life support.
We'll also need to upgrade power.

Then there's the slots. They were only 2 left, but chances may exist that we need to spend one on infrastructure. In addition to that, 2 guns is better than 1 gun + 1 armor as long as the armor doesn't block more than 50% of each weapon. Given that we're going in blind, I consider a 50% block of each weapon unlikely (If you could do that, turtling would be trivial).

That means we need to upgrade Skeleton before we have the space to do Armor.
By the time we've done all that, we'll be shooting at one another. The idea that we have ample time is not really correct.

That said, you could demolish part of our resource gathering infrastructure to make space, but I think that would be a grave mistake.

In addition, the armor is just a few plates. It does not need to be front loaded. It seems like something we can comfortably research on turn 2.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:19:45 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 01:22:09 pm »

Quote from: 10ebbor10
Since 1 gun > 1 armor, it's best to have 2 operational guns before we have 1 operational defense.
This is not a logical progression. 1 weapon and 1 armour beats 2 weapons. Armour guarantees we don't lose infrastructure systems, which would be even worse for us than just scrapping the thing.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 01:24:22 pm »

We won't be getting any new metal resor...

Produces 100 Noble Gases, 100 Uranics, 200 Hydrogen, 200 Metals, and 300 Non-Metals / Jump

Does this mean we will be getting it on our very next jump?{I may have been confused}

Nin'd
Also
Since 1 gun > 1 armor, it's best to have 2 operational guns before we have 1 operational defense.
This is not a logical progression. 1 weapon and 1 armour beats 2 weapons. Armour guarantees we don't lose infrastructure systems, which would be even worse for us than just scrapping the thing.

+1 to this. We do not want to lose our most important systems. An Eye for an Eye may leave the whole world with one, but what does it say when everyone takes two?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 01:48:52 pm »

1 Weapon and 1 Armor only beats 2 weapons if 1 Armor can block more than 50% of each shot. I have my doubts that'll be the case, since we'll be going in blind and since allowing such effective defenses would cause serious turtling.

Even if we assume it does, the armor currently proposed is not a massive project. We could do it on turn 2 and 3, and it would be far better if we were to do that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »

Anyway, people should vote.

Designs:
-Infrastructure :
--- "Itinerant" RC Mining Drones: (1) SC
--- Seraph Stellarator Fusion Reactor: (2) SC, 10ebbor10
--- "Harvester" Automatic Mining Probes: (2) Happerry, 10ebbor10
--- Atmospherics System Conversion (1) 10ebbor10

-Defenses :
---"Sanctuary" Layered Defense Armor: (2) SC, Happerry
---Cherubim Interceptor Laser Array: (1) Happerry

Dice spent :
- 9 dice : (1) 10ebbor10

Company Title
Void Conglomerate: (1) SC
"The Company" is perfectly fine: (2) Happerry, 10ebbor10
[/quote]

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »

Designs:
-Infrastructure :
--- "Itinerant" RC Mining Drones: (1) SC
--- Seraph Stellarator Fusion Reactor: (2) SC, 10ebbor10
--- "Harvester" Automatic Mining Probes: (2) Happerry, 10ebbor10
--- Atmospherics System Conversion (1) 10ebbor10

-Defenses :
---"Sanctuary" Layered Defense Armor: (2) SC, Happerry
---Cherubim Interceptor Laser Array: (1) Happerry

Dice spent :
- 9 dice : (1) 10ebbor10

Company Title
Void Conglomerate: (2) SC, Rockeater
"The Company" is perfectly fine: (2) Happerry, 10ebbor10
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 01:57:54 pm »

Lost in datastream.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:34:49 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18