Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Children  (Read 1413 times)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant Children
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:13:49 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that migrants are generated to fill some of the holes your fortress has (skill-wise). And some of those skills are kinda useless. Usually when I get a few fisherdwarves or beekeepers or soapmakers I'm a little disappointed but just conscript them into the militia. Today I started a brand new fort and my first wave of migrants consisted of 3 dwarves. A novice farmer, and 2 kids. And I think to myself Dang, that sucks. I hope I get better ones next time! At which point the RNG laughed. My next wave of migrants also consisted of 3 dwarves. An adequate Beekeeper and 2 more children. Cut to a year later, my fort has only 20 citizens, 9 of which are children. The funny part is that the children aren't related to any of the dwarves they arrived with. So there's a bunch of negligent dwarf parents who are just shipping their kids off with random stangers.

Coincidentally, when I tried to start said fort, I would get to the Strike the Earth screen and then the game would crash. Happened 4 times before it ran. Is this a known bug or just my computer being shit?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Children
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:13 pm »

I've never had unrelated children migrating to a fortress.  That seems a bit odd.  My current fortress is like yours, though. :-)  I limited my population to 24 because I like building slowly.  But all my migrants were married and came with 3 kids.  Also strange is that *all* of my migrants are under 20 years old.  So I've got my starting 7 who are 80 something, 6 teenage parents and 9 children at the moment.  It will be interesting in 10 years when the kids grow up since they are all essentially the same age.  I wonder if I will finally get a marriage in my fortress (never had one yet -- for some reason all my lovers get killed).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:41:10 pm »

I've never had unrelated children migrating to a fortress.  That seems a bit odd.  My current fortress is like yours, though. :-)  I limited my population to 24 because I like building slowly.  But all my migrants were married and came with 3 kids.  Also strange is that *all* of my migrants are under 20 years old.  So I've got my starting 7 who are 80 something, 6 teenage parents and 9 children at the moment.  It will be interesting in 10 years when the kids grow up since they are all essentially the same age.  I wonder if I will finally get a marriage in my fortress (never had one yet -- for some reason all my lovers get killed).
Check Legends to see where they came from. Parents are all dead probably. Or perhaps a dark pits had a revolution and they all escaped (keep an eye on them, especially those who dream of ruling the world...).

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:36 am »

I just had a migration wave of 42 dwarves. 25 were children.

So many mouths to feed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:08:04 am »

I just had a migration wave of 42 dwarves. 25 were children.

So many mouths to feed.
Can't even exile them. There should definitely be some way to sell them to find them new loving parents at some of the new economically linked sites. I'm sure the dark pits would happily take them off your hands.