Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing Instant Kills and Siege attacks  (Read 1094 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing Instant Kills and Siege attacks
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:40:40 pm »

I have recently returned to this game, but remember a problem where any enemy would instantly be killed if a boulder, ceiling or roof landed on top of the enemy.  In cases where it’s a titan, dragon or other huge enemy the enemy should survive.  Is there any way to change this function where it only does X amount of damage instead of killing instantly?

Also have battles been improved where invaders sometimes attack the fort walls?  Ideally if we have forts than our enemies should attack with siege weapons like catapults, ballistas, battering rams, trebuchets, etc, etc, . 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:42:41 pm by NTJedi »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Instant Kills and Siege attacks
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:41:16 pm »

Cave-ins kill everything caught beneath, but dropping a boulder is not a cave-in, while dropping a floor/wall is. I believe cave-ins can be turned off, which leads to things being suspended in the air, I think. However, if you don't want cave-ins to kill critters, simply don't use cave-ins to do so. House rules are common among DF players, in order to tailor the challenge to your desires.

Improved sieges are still in the future, see the dev page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html). Some minor siege improvements may get in during the current development arc, but definitely not all of it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:29:58 pm »

Cave-ins kill everything caught beneath, but dropping a boulder is not a cave-in, while dropping a floor/wall is. I believe cave-ins can be turned off, which leads to things being suspended in the air, I think. However, if you don't want cave-ins to kill critters, simply don't use cave-ins to do so. House rules are common among DF players, in order to tailor the challenge to your desires.

Improved sieges are still in the future, see the dev page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html). Some minor siege improvements may get in during the current development arc, but definitely not all of it.
Waiting for the hilarity of invaders killing themselves with cave-ins as they try to dig into your fortress... :)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 05:33:49 pm »

Thanks for the information.  I wish I could use planned and unplanned cave-ins with them having logical results instead of having them off. I know the bee hives and honey system were based on information from an actual expert... wish cave-ins were more accurate instead of being deadly overkill.

Definitely eager to see the smart enemies with siege attacks... it’s badly needed for challenging players on better fort designs.  Examples:
Diggers, Ankhegs, = attacking underground forts and farms
Stone giants throwing rocks at walls, catapults = attacking towers or groups of soldiers
Trebuchets and Titans = attacking major walls from far distances
and machines or creatures which use fire to attack wooden structures or groups of dwarves

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:50:54 pm »

Thanks for the information.  I wish I could use planned and unplanned cave-ins with them having logical results instead of having them off. I know the bee hives and honey system were based on information from an actual expert... wish cave-ins were more accurate instead of being deadly overkill.

Definitely eager to see the smart enemies with siege attacks... it’s badly needed for challenging players on better fort designs.  Examples:
Diggers, Ankhegs, = attacking underground forts and farms
Stone giants throwing rocks at walls, catapults = attacking towers or groups of soldiers
Trebuchets and Titans = attacking major walls from far distances
and machines or creatures which use fire to attack wooden structures or groups of dwarves
Siege engines are part of the "Not planned for this time" group. And traps. They're both probably coming in Moving Fortress Parts (and ships). Which is currently planned for after Starting Scenarios (law, politics and society). So...several Big Waits yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:56 pm »

Constructed things like walls turn into their base components when falling, so those should not insta-kill (though the damage they do tends to be ridiculously awesome severe).

You have to drop sections of terrain on things to guarantee instant erasure from existence.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:09:20 am »

Constructed things like walls turn into their base components when falling, so those should not insta-kill (though the damage they do tends to be ridiculously awesome severe).

You have to drop sections of terrain on things to guarantee instant erasure from existence.
Cave-ins do not atom smash, "only" kill, as the body still remains, as do any items.
I've killed quite a few titans with cave-ins using constructed floors, but it might be that they've always smashed through natural floors (frequently made out of soil), and it might be that I haven't been unlucky enough to have any survive. It's true the components of the floors/walls ended up at the bottom, though.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:23 pm »

If you want to simulate something more realistic, may I suggest dropping a cave-in next to the targets... I've always found the chaos of nearby units being knocked about, stunned, and covered in dust pretty good.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 03:27:40 am »

If you want to simulate something more realistic, may I suggest dropping a cave-in next to the targets... I've always found the chaos of nearby units being knocked about, stunned, and covered in dust pretty good.
That works against targets that are weak enough that you don't need to use a cave-in against them... FBs/titans are no-stun, though.