Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ATOM RPG: In Post-Nuclear Soviet Russia, Scum Saves You!  (Read 1949 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ATOM RPG: In Post-Nuclear Soviet Russia, Scum Saves You!
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:10:41 am »

The game: ATOM RPG

So, take Fallout, but wind the clock back and drop the bombs in 1986, then have your vault dweller exploring the Soviet Wasteland in the early 21st century. That's basically ATOM in a single sentence.

The gameplay draws extremely heavily from the original Fallout games, using similar core mechanics for stats and action point based combat. Expect to save and reload often, especially during early game random encounters before you have found a decent gun and sufficient ammo.

I've recently picked this one up and it has a comparatively low amount of noise online in English. Combat can be brutal at times, and the difficulty settings have little to no effect on the challenge of the game. After a few restarts, I've settled on a build I enjoy and I'll see how far I take this one. It's been an amusing journey so far, with a lot of Russian cultural references I'm probably not getting translated well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:53:53 am by Jimmy »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
Re: ATOM RPG: In Post-Nuclear Soviet Russia, Scum Saves You!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:38:05 am »

You had an accident with the link. Here:
Game home page
Steam page

IIRC a friend mentioned this the other day. He'd had fun™ just trying to figure out how to play due to the lack of tutorial and no way to check (nor change) the keybindings.

Though looking into it, it seems that a lot was fixed with the latest patch in 29 December, including the keybinding part. So the devs are responding to criticism.

How does the game hold up once you learn how to play?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 06:46:31 am »

Oh my god, Slavjank Fallout? It's what I've always wanted.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:01:41 am »

Thanks for the heads up! I've fixed the link.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but it'll depend on your taste. I've found myself quick-saving and reloading almost constantly inside combat to avoid game over, but that could just be my build.

Currently I'm running a femme-fatale with sticky fingers. She can walk up to pretty much any merchant and Pickpocket his entire inventory clean. With her Personality score, heavy investment in Speechcraft and the Sex Appeal trait, she's able to sweet-talk her way out of most situations without difficulty. Her notable distinctions include talking down a crazy tin-foil hat hermit with a rusty AK-47 and convincing him she's not a lizard-man Illuminati alien, then following him back to his camp and murdering him as he cooked his dinner, as well as discovering one of the gate guards at the local bandit hideout was actually a woman, revealing this information to a different bandit guard who was having serious gender identity issues over his attraction to one of his teammates, and finally bedding the bandit in an extremely awkward cut-scene to 'test' his true gender preferences. Her lack of combat skills mean she relies on high Dexterity to outrun enemies and pick them off with a basic handgun.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:03:27 am by Jimmy »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:15:04 am »

ptw, looks interesting.

my last fallout 2 game was similar to jimmy's but was male and slept with every lady he could find. oh, and he used rifles instead of handguns. the fact that the stories of each are so close bodes well for this game.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:10:55 pm »

Looks interesting, though I'm not entirely sold on "Classical Fallout-like", since the classics (at least FO2) aged rather well (maybe outside of the UI, but I've seen and played worse).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 04:32:09 pm »

Saw a video slide past a while back while consuming useless Reddit news. Apparently, you can force a guard to commit suicide by handing him a hundred cigs one at a time.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »

I'm about 2 hours in to this and it seems ok? The exploration bits are nice and stalkery and the combat is pretty much just copy-pasted from fallout 1&2 so it's ok as well. The only thing that's really iffy is the writing, (the overall story scenarios seem ok) and I can't tell if that's because of poor translation or iffy writing to begin with. Then again, stalker very much had the same feel so I guess you can call it an homage.

The hunger system is also a bit eh. Maybe there's a decent reason for it, but as far as I can tell it's just there to screw you over if you don't use food wisely early on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:07:14 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:02 am »

That cigarette trick is hilarious! I never thought of doing that, but now I'm seriously tempted to try it.

Yeah, the food system is rather underwhelming. That said, there's some decent buffs you can earn with the right foods. The game lets you stack the same buff type twice, so if you're preparing for a tough fight, using food to boost your stats can help, especially Endurance. Two onions, for example, mean +2 Endurance, which is an extra +10 hit points, and lasts 30 minutes.

Unfortunately tea and coffee only last 5 minutes, as well as requiring you to cook them at a campfire before gaining their benefits. Given you're probably not gonna have a campfire handy to brew yourself a cuppa, it's not worth carrying tea or coffee except as trader fodder or in very specific scenarios.

For character creation, my picks for best distinctions are the following:
Glutton - Best overall, as food is extremely common and you'll always benefit from having +2 Endurance.
Technophobe - Dump two rarely used skills to gain two useful stats.
Unlucky Optimist - A great pick if you dump Luck, since +2 Endurance is always welcome.
Sex Appeal - For female characters only, as the Soviet Wasteland is a sausage party, apparently.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 05:45:23 am »

Any power armor or laser/plasma/gauss weapons?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 07:22:42 pm »

Nope. The lore of the game has the modern world ending in nuclear holocaust in 1986, so technological advance ceases at that tech level. There's no Fallout style robots, laser guns or power armor in the game.