Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Usage of CPU and RAM  (Read 1539 times)

RidiculousName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Usage of CPU and RAM
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:12:15 pm »

Hello, I built my own gaming PC recently and I was wondering about how well Dwarf Fortress will run on it. I read a thread here from 2010 talking about how the game will only utilize a single core. Is that still the case? How well does it handle RAM? My computer shouldn't have any trouble running it, but I am curious about how to optimize the game to run as efficiently as possible. I am a Computer Science student but my knowledge of hardware is still pretty shaky.

My Specifications are:
Windows 10 Home x64
i7 8700K
16gb RAM
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:13:46 pm by RidiculousName »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of CPU and RAM
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:42:58 pm »

It's still a single threaded game, for all meaningful purposes.  It's difficult to say how exactly it will perform on that hardware without testing it, but it's certainly more than good enough.

From what I can recall, which does make a lot of intuitive sense, the game is mostly bottlenecked by memory performance.  The actual amount of memory isn't so crucial, and 16 GB is enough to play any reasonably sized fort.  The memory speed is what matters, so just using the latest generation of memory is probably the best you can reasonably do when building a computer to play DF.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RidiculousName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Usage of CPU and RAM
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:03:06 am »

Thanks for responding. I've got DDR4 3200MHz RAM. I'm having fun so far.