Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most stable DF version and newb pack for returning player?  (Read 2779 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most stable DF version and newb pack for returning player?
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:15 pm »

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a few years and before that I only played one of the really old versions before multi-level trees were introduced. I'm looking to get back into it again (fortress mode) but feeling confused about which version to go with... as with a little forum browsing and googleing it seems easy to come across posts saying DF version 44.10 has very bad bugs and should be avoided and 44.11+ is better and then other posts saying 44.12 also has bad bugs and should be avoided etc. etc.  and the lazy newb pack seems to be replaced or renamed to something else now and is only updated to 44.10?  So I guess I couldn't use the starter pack with 44.11+? 

Could any DF vets please give some advice about which of the more current versions has the least potential to end your fort because of bugs and what newb pack to go with for it?  I'm on windows 7.

Thanks!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Most stable DF version and newb pack for returning player?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:09:44 am »

44.12 is the most stable yet. There is just a minor problem with dwarfs forming interpersonal relationships. As for LNP, it's called somethingorother's Starter Pack now. 44.10 had serious problems with crashes, 44.11 had serious problems with world corruptions, 44.12 fixes both. 

I don't know much about LNP, so I recommend getting a tileset you like and setting up DFhack and Dwarf Therapist how you like them.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most stable DF version and newb pack for returning player?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 12:46:01 pm »

There are three are packs that include DF game, DFHack (core for modifying the game and support for other mods), TWBT (it is a graphic interface for tilesets), a lot of tilesets or graphic set and some interesting utilities.
If you are a windows user, the best version is Peridexis Errant's Starter Pack (last stable version is for DF 0.44.10), if you are linux user, LinuxLNP (0.44.10) and for Mac, there is LazyMac Pack (0.44.05).

You can download all in this page:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/index.php

I suppose you know that DF0.44.12 is the newest version that Toady has released. Well, now modders have updated DFHack to 0.44.12rc1 (release candidate, an stable one). After that, TWBT will been updated for this new DFHack. Pack's developers are waiting to DFHack and TWBT for release a new pack for 0.44.12. So, my advice is waiting one or two weeks and download th last PE/LinuxLNP/LazyMac.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:47:33 pm by FrankVill »