Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duelists of the Roses  (Read 16585 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duelists of the Roses
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:41:12 pm »

Hell yeah we're doing this.

Welcome to the Yu-Gi-Oh: The Duelists of the Roses Let's Play! I am your host, Birdy51. Released stateside in 2003, it quickly became one of the first games I owned for the PS2 and thereby holds a special place in my heart. There is quite a bit of dust on this old game, but I would say it's worthy of a good look.

So, this is a card game, right?

Sort of. Like other time honored spin-off games, The Duelists of the Roses takes the Yu-Gi-Oh method and spins it around a bit. Instead of our normal duels, The Duelists of the Roses features a grid system. Each player has a keystone unit called a Deck Leader. The Deck Leader will then be used to lay down Monster, Cards, Spell Cards, and Trap Cards; everything will be necessary as we make glorious war against the enemy. Once the Life Points of the opposing Deck Leader reaches zero, the match is over.

Why are we here again?

But of course! Our main character of your from the perhaps not so-distant future, where dueling has devolved into motorcycle dueling and being trapped in video games. We have been summoned by Simon McMooran to decide the winner of the 15th century War of the Roses; also known as the War of English Succession. It was a fantastically bloody civil war. Many brave British souls died, and out of ashes came the rise of the Tudor Dynasty. Quite a few of the characters here are named after their historical counterparts and I'll be trying to call them out as I see them.

On one side, we have the Lancastrians led by Richard the 7th, known here also by his nickname, Yugi Moto. On the other, we have the Yorkist Faction led by Richard of York and his lieutenant, Christian Rosenkreuz, played here by Seto Kaiba.

If it all goes according to plan, we'll be seeing both sides of this war and everything they have to offer.

Nice. But why are we here again?

Shit, sorry. Misread that one. Let's see here!

If you're willing to stick around a bit, I need a few hands now and again to help make some decisions; what decks to play, what is our name is, and other such things. If it were not for you all I'd be here talking to myself all alone and that's just sad. Even if you do know a bit about this game, my end goal is show you a little bit more and if you don't know it, then you're in for a treat. I'll be aiming to get at least a post out weekly, so keep an eye on things!

Any Spoilers policies?

Not any big ones. I ask that you would avoid discussion of events later in the game until we get there, but in the mean-time feel free to discuss any history, mechanics, or otherwise interesting Yu-Gi-Oh! related topics.

Now, if you're still reading this, your job starts now! I need a name! What our name is, decides our deck, and what our deck is decides our destiny. Choose wisely, for the fate of England rests upon your shoulders!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:00:36 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duelists of the Roses
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:25 pm »

Richard Dastardly
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:28:21 pm »

Richard Dastardly

Sadly, this is a bit above the character limit. But I'll make it work!

Spoiler: The Summoning (click to show/hide)

There we are. The decks have been presented and we are halfway through the introduction. Choose wisely, the fate of the LP is in your hands!
BIRDS.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 05:15:02 am »

I remember the first time I played this, I ended up with a water-themed deck, can't remember the name of my Deck Leader PRE-EDIT: Took way too long, but I'm pretty sure it was Maiden of the Aqua. Then I realized that, like every Yu-Gi-Oh! video game adaption, you have to grind for hours and hours and so many hours to get anything done.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:56:26 am »

I remember the first time I played this, I ended up with a water-themed deck, can't remember the name of my Deck Leader PRE-EDIT: Took way too long, but I'm pretty sure it was Maiden of the Aqua. Then I realized that, like every Yu-Gi-Oh! video game adaption, you have to grind for hours and hours and so many hours to get anything done.

Ah no worries. Feel free to discuss mechanics freely. This game was made before the times where games were broken into freely, and as such some of the info that you can find is actually a bit false, or maybe at least a little bit misleading.

How your starter decks get chosen and how strong your Deck Leader is something the game flat out doesn't explain, so I'm going to take a second to look under the hood.

Spoiler: Mechanics Rant (click to show/hide)

There! That's the story on that one. It's all kind of interesting, isn't it? Again as before, feel free to PM me if you're looking for any of the actual notes. I'd be happy to shuffle them along! Also, don't forget to choose a deck. that's important!
BIRDS.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 11:55:18 am »

I know absolutely nothing about Yu-gi-oh besides what I kinda learned from watching friends playing it in school, but I do love me some dark loving creatures. Kyruel!

Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »

Look man, we gotta stop that pidgeon as soon as possible. To do that we have to be Kyreul and cunning... or maybe we should be cunning and Kyreul? Either way, Kyreul is my vote.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 11:07:24 am »

Diving back in, we're almost out of the prologue woods. There aren't as many words after this section, so savor the mystery of dialogue while you can!

Spoiler: Two Rude Dudes (click to show/hide)

Yeep updates take a while, even when all the pictures are on hand. Still! Take your time with this one. I should also note that there aren't as many opportunities to upgrade our deck if we side with the Yorkists. There are definite ways to get around this, but I'd rather hold off on cheating for now.

In the meantime, cast your votes! I believe in you!
BIRDS.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 11:16:51 am »

We must live up to our namesake and be a dastard. I say we go with the white roses.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »

Alright, so I'm going to leave the question up for a little bit, though I do have a post ready if we choose the Yorkist side. If there is strong consensus for it, I'll go ahead and post it.

In the meantime, I  figured people might appreciate taking a quick look at some of the team!

Spoiler: Meet the Cards (click to show/hide)

There are more cards yet; but we'll be inevitably meeting some of them in battle too. Every card there is has their own animations, which is… Terrifying. I don't want to have to handle them all right now. ;.;
BIRDS.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 09:17:12 pm »

I don't know much about War of the Roses history. But from what I recall of the tv show, anybody with monsters that look like that is on the opposite side from Yugi. :P

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 06:11:51 am »

A-are you implying that the HONORABLE Richard Dastardly might be evil? I bite my thumb in anger!

Spoiler: A Dastardly Decision (click to show/hide)

So! Short update, and the first without any big decisions. From here on, we're a bit on the rails and most of my brainpower is going to be focused on not getting beat up in these early duels. Once we get down the line, it shouldn't be so bad, but for now I really can't underestimate these guys.

That said, if you see any deck concepts you'd like me to mess around with, go ahead and let me know. We've got a lot of duels ahead of us, and not every fight has to involve Kryuel. ^.^
BIRDS.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 02:24:58 pm »

A-are you implying that the HONORABLE Richard Dastardly might be evil? I bite my thumb in anger!

Not at all. I mean, Seto comes across as a villain at first but the more story we see the more we realize how fundamentally good his basic spirit must be, albeit shaped perhaps by questionable role models. He's defends his (real) family, he organizes (as a teenager) a hostile takeover of his cruel (adoptive) father's corporation and turns it (practically overnight) from questionable international arms dealing to an even more successful entertainment products provider.

What is Yugi's list of accomplishments? Card games. How does that make him the standard for "good"?
(And he loves his family, too, I'll grant. (And makes friends more easily.) Yet what's true of both is not distinguishing.)

Is it any wonder that Seto's "fatal flaw" is massive jealousy at being forced by plot impetus to always be a runner-up in someone else's story?
This is our chance to right history, in history.

Yeah, that's what I meant. ;D
(I kinda wanted the let's play to take the more choices path, but this is too good an opportunity to pass up, given our moniker.)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »

Seto doesn't look like he has a diseased starfish growing out of his head so he must be the good guy in this story.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 09:23:14 pm »

The next update emerges...

As a quick warning, this update is a BIG one. If it has any major issues loading for a few people, let me know and I'll try to split it up a bit. For now, I just need to get it submitted!

Spoiler: Vs. Tea (click to show/hide)

And done! Sorry for the long read, but there was quite a few mechanics and other fun bits that I needed to get covered and out of the way first. Believe it or not, but the update could have been even longer had I of used all of the pictures I took.

C'est la vie.
BIRDS.

Pages: [1] 2 3