Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duelists of the Roses  (Read 16670 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! - Duelists of the Roses
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 04:52:26 am »

Is the AI really that bad? Or is it just Tea? I recall my opponents seemingly always knowing every card on the field(even face-down ones) better than I did.

I can get Happy Lover attacking, not knowing the effects of its own ability resulting in a suicide attack, but why did Hourglass of Life attack?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 05:55:41 am »

Oh! Air Eater was face-down at that point in the game; so Tea didn't know how strong it was. Since it is early game, I do think her AI is a little bit weaker as well as far as decision making goes.

Also! I think only one NPC actively 'cheats' in battle and knows what you laid. He'll be covered later... Probably much later.

Also! As a quick side note, I was actually caught off-guard by the whole Spellbinding element. None of the FAQs I've read address it, so trying to figure out the order was a bit of a nuisance. I was actually really lucky with this; there are so many Dark Cards in my deck that I could have stalled Tea into oblivion if I really needed to.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:20:46 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 07:25:25 pm »

Not quite an update, but if you're interested in how the sausage gets made, this might be an interesting update.

Blargh… That was a lot. Next  time, we'll be battling Tristan!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:33:39 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:41:52 am »

Oh shit, my favorite childhood Yu-Gi-Oh game. PTW

My go-to tactic was to send everything to the graveyard and then run a Swordstalker with Darkness Approaches,
resulting in an unbeatable ball of death with like 8000 ATK
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 07:30:55 pm »

Oh shit, my favorite childhood Yu-Gi-Oh game. PTW

My go-to tactic was to send everything to the graveyard and then run a Swordstalker with Darkness Approaches,
resulting in an unbeatable ball of death with like 8000 ATK

Nice! That strategy is a fun one. Darkness Approaches in particular can break the game in a lot of other ways too though, so hopefully I can show that off at some point!

At any rate, sorry for the wait! This battle was completed a few days ago, but I have only now had the occasion to put the words a description of the battle here within. With no further delay, let us move on in the story.

Spoiler: Vs. Tristan (click to show/hide)

See you next time!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:17:48 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 06:20:02 pm »

Head's up folks. This is a long one. Mai didn't take any prisoners in our fight and the match ended up running extraordinarily long, so this one is going to be a two-parter. So, let's not dawdle. Update, away!

Spoiler: Vs. Mai Part 1 (click to show/hide)

That's where I'll end it for now. As a consolation prize, here's this.

Spoiler: Everyone is a Jerk (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:20:51 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:39 pm »

The difficulty jump from Weaksauce Tea and Incompetent Tristan to Mai was just so jarring, especially considering how crummy the base deck is.
Was stuck here a long time when I was younger.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »

Hey now, in Tea's defense, her deck has it's days where she suddenly starts sending 3000+ plus hordes of monsters after you. Tristan is utterly un-defendable, but Tea knows a least a little bit of what she's doing!

In fact, I'd recommend hitting up her deck a lot for some of her better cards for anyone doing a run-through. I've quietly made my own version of her deck as a B-Deck for my own uses, which is where a lot of those victories in the bonus post came from. It's also where that one loss came from. That was one of the 3000+, oh God, how is this happening type of match...
BIRDS.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 09:03:13 pm »

Spoiler: Everyone is a Jerk (click to show/hide)

Her hand is creeping me out in that picture. Like her right hand was somehow replaced with the left.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 03:59:57 am »

I don't know. It doesn't look too bad until you realize that hand has six fingers on it. So, in addition to contorting everywhere, she's got extra digits!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:01:35 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 04:38:34 pm »

I don't know. It doesn't look too bad until you realize that hand has six fingers on it. So, in addition to contorting everywhere, she's got extra digits!
GAH
That's terrible to look at.

Also that's evidence of inbreeding, isn't it?

Also is it just me or is every spell and trap card using the same description?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »

If it's not inbreeding, I don't know what is. Also, I think you're right. Every card has the exact same thing, which is the text for Magical Labyrinth. I think... Maybe that the Japanese version had unique text for each card, and maybe that the Magical Labyrinth is just a stand-in for that.

For instance! Did you know that in the Japanese Version, the cards had extra lines to give them a bit flavor? This was removed in versions that went outside of Japan, probably because translating and changing those lines would have taken forever.

That said, it does apparently result in some funny/sad situations where some cards like the Happy Lover saying that upon death, they feel happy that they made the enemy happy losing. It's so tragic, but wonderful.

Anyways, back to the game!

Spoiler: Vs. Mai, Part 2 (click to show/hide)

Gah… Nearly 40 turns and over a hundred images later, we're out of the woods. That battle took every trick I had to win. If you'll look at my little deck in the right corner, I think I only had like ten cards out of forty left? Mai was brutal

I'm not sure whether I'll keep Chakra arounf after this next fight though. He's a strong card, but maybe too strong for me to be actively using, lest it becomes the end to end all battles.

So, I'll let you guys decide! Should I keep a copy of the ritual card in my deck yet?

Or perhaps would you like me to show off my B Deck? That might be an interesting twist too!
BIRDS.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 06:43:58 pm »

You should probably keep Chakra around. It's going to get harder, right? You need an ace in the hole.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 08:37:05 pm »

Mhrmm. Not a bad idea; though I did end up decreasing his overall presence a little; while still keeping him around. Perhaps when it's relevant, I'll just try to show off some of the other summons or something. Might take a bit of finagling on my end, but it wouldn't be too hard.

Also, between updates I reincarnated the best card. It's so beautiful.

Spoiler: Hope you don't mind. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:41:05 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 10:50:13 am »

Oi. Welcome back! Sorry for the little hiatus; this update began to take longer than usual. But, without spoiling anything, I'll toss down my usual Spoiler and get into it!

Spoiler: Vs. ??? (click to show/hide)

Yep. It's another two parter. Mako… Did not make anything easy on me. Tune in what is hopefully not next week, for the exciting conclusion!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:20:55 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Pages: 1 [2] 3