Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Medical treatment scheduling imrovement  (Read 942 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medical treatment scheduling imrovement
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:55:21 am »

Treating injuries can take months currently because treatment is divided into multiple steps (quite frequently with cleaning added in between steps, in particular if there's an infection), and once one task has been completed, the next job is posted and the doctor walks away. By the time the doctor has walked the 10 or so steps before considering to take on a new job the next treatment step job has been taken by someone at the remote end of the fortress, with a couple of day's walk before reaching the hospital (allowing the previous doctor to reach the remote location to continue what the successor was doing, only to be called back for the next treatment step).

It would be good if medical treatment was handled more like the architect job, where the architect continues to haul building material until done or breaking for food/drink/sleep/need, i.e. the doctor automatically takes up the next treatment step if qualified, and the job is posted only if the doctor doesn't take it up. This would mean a doctor would care for a patient until done (or gets tired), rather than getting into a treatment shuffle game where more time is spent walking to and from treatment than performing treatments (and I'm including bringing clean water, soap, etc. as part of the treatment rather than walking to and from the job).

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medical treatment scheduling imrovement
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:14:40 am »

I don't know how many times I've wanted to grab one of my dorfs by his/her scruffy beard and slap some sense into him for walking away a bit from a workshop (full of orders they can do) to then stop and decide to walk back and do another job at that workshop .. just to repeat the process over and over wasting time...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:00:26 am »

That walk away behavior was introduced as part of the jobs rewrite in the 0.40.X arc. I've never understood why it was introduced, though, but apart from messing up medical treatment, it also rendered the chicken run aquifer piercing method unusable (there's a fairly new revised method), can cause dorfs to escape burrows (by walking away far enough to leave the burrow before "thinking"), and create odd effects with channeling if you designate tiles just in time (to ensure they're dug out in the proper order).

And, by the way, the DF raws for dwarves are "bugged", as females actually don't have beards there... (Some players keep "correcting" this in their raws as soon as a new release is downloaded).

Edit: Placed "bugged" in quotes to make it clearer it isn't actually a bug.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:53:54 am by PatrikLundell »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:45:22 pm »

That walk away behavior was introduced as part of the jobs rewrite in the 0.40.X arc. I've never understood why it was introduced, though, but apart from messing up medical treatment, it also rendered the chicken run aquifer piercing method unusable (there's a fairly new revised method), can cause dorfs to escape burrows (by walking away far enough to leave the burrow before "thinking"), and create odd effects with channeling if you designate tiles just in time (to ensure they're dug out in the proper order).

And, by the way, the DF raws for dwarves are bugged, as females actually don't have beards there... (Some players keep "correcting" this in their raws as soon as a new release is downloaded).
Bugged? Yeah, it's an amusing joke, but you risk making new people think the raws are actually bugged. As opposed to them purposefully not enabling female beards and including clear instructions on how to add them for those players who want to.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:54:22 am »

Yes, the post should have been clearer. I've updated it.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:04:18 am »

Flawed/faulty/inaccurate might be a more appropriate word to use...

..seeing how dwarven women actually ARE bearded...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:33:19 pm »

Flawed/faulty/inaccurate might be a more appropriate word to use...

..seeing how dwarven women actually ARE bearded...
I've never met any... I'm not even sure I've actually met any human dwarfs either.

Dwarven women have facial hair, elves are vegetarians, and vampires can't stand sunlight. All fairly common fantasy tropes, and none of them universal outside of DF either. DF makes its own take on fantasy races and creatures, some of which are met with stiff opposition.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:37 pm »

That walk away behavior was introduced as part of the jobs rewrite in the 0.40.X arc. I've never understood why it was introduced, though, [...]
I assume it has to do with the additional processing time to check who has priority for the job.

Even before the job rewrite, I figured out I could get my miners to escape from magma if I used short pauses or time-step (.) to limit the game speed. Leaving it uninterrupted causes them to sit in '?' mode as it pours over them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:19 am »

That walk away behavior was introduced as part of the jobs rewrite in the 0.40.X arc. I've never understood why it was introduced, though, [...]
I assume it has to do with the additional processing time to check who has priority for the job.

Even before the job rewrite, I figured out I could get my miners to escape from magma if I used short pauses or time-step (.) to limit the game speed. Leaving it uninterrupted causes them to sit in '?' mode as it pours over them.
I thought jobs were posted and the first eligible dorf to scan the board picked it up (that dorf probably goes through some prioritization to take higher priority jobs before lower one), and thus that there weren't any assignment prioritization between dorfs involved.

I need to look at a few cases of inappropriate behavior to see if single stepping changes things.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:45:30 pm »

I thought jobs were posted and the first eligible dorf to scan the board picked it up (that dorf probably goes through some prioritization to take higher priority jobs before lower one), and thus that there weren't any assignment prioritization between dorfs involved.

I need to look at a few cases of inappropriate behavior to see if single stepping changes things.
I think I recall Toady saying something about the highest-skilled available dwarf getting the job.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?